Solo app (Tom Quayle)

What's Hot
roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1141
I heard about this recently, via a YouTube link posted on tFB.

I struggle with fretboard knowledge, especially on the first 4 strings, exactly as Tom explains it at the start of the video.

I'm tight so have been trying to think of ways to learn without the app, but it seems like a really good tool. It's only £15, that ain't bad.

The app listen to your playing, much like a tuner, and can tell when you've got the correct note. In the video he shows that the app can randomly ask you to play a note (e.g. 1st of A major) and then shifts when you play the right note. Can also ask for 1st & 3rd, and minor scales too.

So, I'm asking for reviews here. And other ideas to consider.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spev11spev11 Frets: 333
    Ive got it, I only use it once a week as part of my practice (I'm a crap almost intermediate at best) for finding 1st 3rd and 5th notes from chords over the fretboard ( I could just stick in the one position but I try and move about the board a bit) at the moment, I find it very good for that but it does appear to be hugely jazz centric, not a criticism really as It does what I want it to do. That reminds me to get it going as I skipped last week in favour of chugging.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1141
    I think it's going to be really useful for me. I've been playing for 25 years, and before that was reasonably comfortable with music theory from playing keyboards as a youngster. I've found I hit a mental block, and I'm not a particularly studious musician, so I've been on a plateau for some time with my knowledge.

Recently, I've been jamming with other musicians and finding myself in new places on the fretboard, or with chord progressions that challenge my brain. Our bass player is quite a gifted musician and he's explained some of his thinking, which matches with what Tom Quayle is talking about, and then I saw an Ariel Posen thing (with Paul Davids) which also makes sense. It's all about knowing the relationships between notes, and not trying to memorise loads of shapes and patterns and stuff.

In just 24 hours I've been able to quickly find a few variations on themes by applying these ideas and it's beginning to feel like I'm unlocking the door. I'll report back on the app progress.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 745
    Learn the notes to songs on the fretboard in as many places as possible in as many keys as possible. Play slowly, say each note aloud as you play them in the correct pitch if possible.

This is a bit more interesting and useful than just playing random notes on an app.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1141
    GuyBoden said:
    Learn the notes to songs on the fretboard in as many places as possible in as many keys as possible. Play slowly, say each note aloud as you play them in the correct pitch if possible.

This is a bit more interesting and useful than just playing random notes on an app.
    can you give an example?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I’d appreciate updates on how you find it.   My playing has stagnated in recent years as I only seen to play to learn songs and gig, where a daily routine that takes the effort out of thinking what to practice and make me a better play sounds good.  
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    I have it but not really used it much ...I see the idea behind it and maybe work for some people ...I would have preferred when working over the tunes you could hear the backing as you play along but it dosnt have that option ...
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 745
    GuyBoden said:

can you give an example?

Using your favourite melody/solo, play it very, very slowly in all 7 positions, sing each note name as you play them.

Repeat this, but play your favourite melody/solo in as many different keys as possible.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The solo app is close to being a brilliant tool, but it misses on a few areas for me.

First, the inability to input your own changes is a bit of a pain, If I want to work on some unusual modulations you can't really do it.

Second, I think there needs to be some sort of "timed" mode option where you have a set number of metronome clicks to hit each note. This will allow you to work on timing as well as harmony.

Third, via the phone's microphone the pitch recognition can sometimes be a bit suspect. Not really sure how you can fix that, but it's enough to leave me frustrated.

Forth, a small addition of a "direction" would add to the challenge also - so you have to find the nearest b2 below the note you're playing, and so on. You can do this in your head when practicing but a visual indication (and pitch recognition) would help in this regard.

I agree that having the chords play for harmony would help too - but I don't believe it'd be particularly easy to have that along with pitch recognition, so I understand the choice they made.

Overall a pretty good app though and still worth the money. It can suit beginners through to advanced players given how it's set up.
  • I’ve been meaning to buy it for a while now ,it seems really brilliant  & all the videos they do on it are really good too 
  • willowillo Frets: 386
    It's good but it's rarely part of my workflow, purely because I go to my books or laptop for practice, not my phone.
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1442
    I use it in conjuction with either the freeze tool on kemper or via garage band. I recored or freeze the chord, then do the modes/scales over it.
    I quite like it
  • willowillo Frets: 386
    nero1701 said:
    I use it in conjuction with either the freeze tool on kemper or via garage band. I recored or freeze the chord, then do the modes/scales over it.
    I quite like it
    That is a brilliant idea! I always feel like its only half the story to learn the note place and interval without the context. I'm going to try this.
    willo said:
    nero1701 said:
    I quite like it
    That is a brilliant idea! I always feel like its only half the story to learn the note place and interval without the context. I'm going to try this.
    Another thing to try is playing the root note as 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and...then play the scale/mode on the ands, helps with hearing the intervals..for me anyhow...ymmv
  • nero1701 said:
    willo said:
    nero1701 said:
    I quite like it
    Another thing to try is playing the root note as 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and...then play the scale/mode on the ands, helps with hearing the intervals..for me anyhow...ymmv
    Can you record an example, or tab it? Sounds interesting but I'm not sure I follow
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    Version 2 of the Solo App is now available.  

I have just downloaded it, though have not had time to explore the new features that have been added.
    Hopefully will have time later to do a bit of exploring.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191
    Wow didnt know there was a version 2
    Version 2 of the Solo App is now available.  

I have just downloaded it, though have not had time to explore the new features that have been added.
    Hopefully will have time later to do a bit of exploring.

I dont see it in google store, Is it an update or a new purchse?
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 445
    @davidbeebee you wanna chip in here? 
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2643
    If you have it on your iPhone, at least, it should update automatically. 
    I'm Android