Maple & cedar guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• VinnyVinny Frets: 3
    It looks fantastic but is there a circular crack in the finish by the sound hole? Hope I'm wrong.
    That might be the outline of the clear scratch plate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    edited October 2023
    Soupman said:
    What a beautiful piece of work. Stunning looker, let us know how it sounds. Bet you can't wait. 

To right bro. It's at least a week late already - but I'm afraid that seems to be the way of things      
    Vinny said:
    It looks fantastic but is there a circular crack in the finish by the sound hole? Hope I'm wrong.
    That might be the outline of the clear scratch plate.

I think Vinny hit it on the head.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phew! Hope you enjoy it! Seriously though, how could you not? :)
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • Every time I see woods specified I think 'Oh oh! Here we go with another tone wood debate.'
  • It’s arrived. 1st impressions:

It’s loud and has incredible sustain.

It’s brighter than I expected but that may be the new strings and/or the top running in. However, the balance is much better than my Guild which is just bright by comparison.

The most unexpected thing was the neck. It’s like glass and really easy to move your hand up and down. Impressive. 

The fretboard feels slightly flatter than my others but it not something that concerns me.

The big problem is that all my mistakes show. I only wish I were a better player.

Happy days.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VinnyVinny Frets: 3
    Enjoy. They make great guitars, I’ve three myself!
  • Playing in nicely. Bass is opening up and the treble is calming down - less zing. Happy days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 232
    Haha!  I hear what you're saying about showing up your mistakes!
     That's a sign of a good guitar, also makes you tidy up your playing along the way.
    You've waited a while for the build, now enjoy it. Some pictures wouldn't go amiss when you can bear to put it down.

• ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pics in my October 7th post. It ain't changed.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 232
    ^^Sorry Mick, I read that many threads that it had slipped my mind. Yep, looking again it is a work of art. I also like the cutaway by the way. I suppose if you had posted another picture now, we might be seeing the beginnings of a little fret wear...!   ;)

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Every time I see woods specified I think 'Oh oh! Here we go with another tone wood debate.'
    It actually matters on acoustics 
  • Cranky said:
    Every time I see woods specified I think 'Oh oh! Here we go with another tone wood debate.'
    Controversial.
  • Damn... please ship to me so I can do a review...
    Looks great!
  • Cranky said:
    It actually matters a lot less than we like to believe. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5450
    ^ Nonsense. Sorry but it makes a huge difference on acoustics, The difference between, for example,   a Ref Spruce top and an Englemann  top is huge, The difference from either of those two to a cedar  top is massive,  Similarly, the difference between an Indian Rosewood back and a Queensland Maple back is chalk and cheese. 

Look, slip over to my place and I'll be happy to provide you with examples so that you can experience this for yourself. It's only 12,000 kilomettres, what are you waiting for?

(Genuine offer: if you can male it over here, I always have seven or eight guitars in various different woods and they are all completely different. You are most welcome to try them for yourself, And you'll also get to taste my cooking, which might not be the best in the state but it's way better than my guitar playing. :)

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    edited October 2023
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wot he said - only I'm closer in Merseyside.

PS - my new guitar is starting to open up nicely. Played it for a small Iona service we have each Thursday and it was really rather enjoyable.
  • Tannin said:
    ^ Nonsense. Sorry but it makes a huge difference on acoustics, The difference between, for example,   a Ref Spruce top and an Englemann  top is huge, The difference from either of those two to a cedar  top is massive,  Similarly, the difference between an Indian Rosewood back and a Queensland Maple back is chalk and cheese. 

Look, slip over to my place and I'll be happy to provide you with examples so that you can experience this for yourself. It's only 12,000 kilomettres, what are you waiting for?

(Genuine offer: if you can male it over here, I always have seven or eight guitars in various different woods and they are all completely different. You are most welcome to try them for yourself, And you'll also get to taste my cooking, which might not be the best in the state but it's way better than my guitar playing. :)

Tannin said:

I too usually have seven or eight guitars around at one time, all different builders and all different wood combinations. They all sound different, I agree, but the biggest difference is the builder, next is the body shape and last is the wood choice. A Lowden will always sound like a Lowden and a Taylor will never sound like a Martin.

As consumers we are always looking for excuses to buy more "stuff" and manufacturers exploit this need. You can choose what you want to believe, but in every unbiased blind study that I have come across in 60 years of playing, most players can't find any definitive difference in sound between different wood combinations, especially the back and side woods.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    Tannin said:

(Genuine offer: if you can male it over here, I always have seven or eight guitars in various different woods and they are all completely different. You are most welcome to try them for yourself, And you'll also get to taste my cooking, which might not be the best in the state but it's way better than my guitar playing.

Tannin said:

(Genuine offer: if you can male it over here, I always have seven or eight guitars in various different woods and they are all completely different. You are most welcome to try them for yourself, And you'll also get to taste my cooking, which might not be the best in the state but it's way better than my guitar playing.

I too usually have seven or eight guitars around at one time, all different builders and all different wood combinations. They all sound different, I agree, but the biggest difference is the builder, next is the body shape and last is the wood choice. A Lowden will always sound like a Lowden and a Taylor will never sound like a Martin.

As consumers we are always looking for excuses to buy more "stuff" and manufacturers exploit this need. You can choose what you want to believe, but in every unbiased blind study that I have come across in 60 years of playing, most players can't find any definitive difference in sound between different wood combinations, especially the back and side woods.
    So are you essentially saying that I could find a builder that could build me an all mahogany guitar that sounds like a spruce/rosewood Taylor?
  • in every unbiased blind study that I have come across in 60 years of playing, most players can't find any definitive difference in sound between different wood combinations, especially the back and side woods.
    What studies are these? Would be very interested to look at those.
  • in every unbiased blind study that I have come across in 60 years of playing, most players can't find any definitive difference in sound between different wood combinations, especially the back and side woods.
    What studies are these? Would be very interested to look at those.
    Roger Bucknall did one and so did Alan Carruth, both highly respected builders. I don't have links handy but they have been mentioned before on this forum and I'm sure Google can find them.