Old Stanley No 4 - Restored

What's Hot

Comments

• strat84strat84 Frets: 322
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I must dig out my grandad's plane from the garage where it's laid for many years luckily it's box, but no doubt in poor shape.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2970
    tFB Trader
    Nice one with the blasting/ shining up @strat84 ;;

Bought a no.3, went to look it up. Not that it matters but just nice to know. Couldn't quite place it to a period. On more reading up it seems d
    ating Made in England Stanleys is pretty impossible ... the sites & charts cover USA planes, but ours aren't the same at all.

The only solid things seems to be that Stanley England started in the mid 30s. Anything with a wooden handle/tote is pre-67.  Which is still shakey as they could've been swapped for later plastic. Nothing else really identifies them to a year or even a period.

Anyway, as you were, it's looking very tidy there
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    Wow, that sand blast did a fab job! Nice work so far!
    Cheers chaps  :)

@Corvus It's funny you couldn't place your no.3, mine was pretty clear but I dont know how accurate the chart is. Here's the one I used below. Mine has 2 patent numbers and has the enlarged and arched frog rib which puts it as a type 10. It also has '10' stamped into the sole where the back handle sits - 

Stanley Bailey https://imgur.com/a/rGK1VBP
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543
    Regarding the not-putting-a-plane-sole-down-on-a-bench-or-not  question, I too have a strip of wood that I'll lay the toe on. So sole down, but no blade contact. It's also unusual for me not to have some tatty anti-slip matting (that stuff you can use underneath kitchen chopping boards to prevent slippage, and in drawers etc.) which is a perfect plane-resting-device.

Top notch work on the plane restoration by the way, makes me a little ashamed of the state of some of my Stanleys!

Not a great photo, but the only one to hand! :-1: 
    https://i.imgur.com/lBc9NHE.jpg

Thanks @Kalimna - They look fine to me! Nice collection  :)
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Kalimna said:
    Regarding the not-putting-a-plane-sole-down-on-a-bench-or-not  question, I too have a strip of wood that I'll lay the toe on. So sole down, but no blade contact. It's also unusual for me not to have some tatty anti-slip matting (that stuff you can use underneath kitchen chopping boards to prevent slippage, and in drawers etc.) which is a perfect plane-resting-device.

Top notch work on the plane restoration by the way, makes me a little ashamed of the state of some of my Stanleys!

Love the Aristocrat chisels in the pic. They won the 1959 Industrial Design Award. I’ve just cleaned up a set that belonged to my dad.
    https://smallworkshop.co.uk/2018/05/09/ward-payne-aristocrat-chisels/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Zoolooter said:
    Kalimna said:

Love the Aristocrat chisels in the pic. They won the 1959 Industrial Design Award. I’ve just cleaned up a set that belonged to my dad.
    https://smallworkshop.co.uk/2018/05/09/ward-payne-aristocrat-chisels/
    I didnt know about the design award, I bought those chisels as Stanley 5001's. Same design?

Thanks @strat84 they work well (some upgraded Hock irons), though look used and a bit battered. Not that that's a bad thing!
    edited May 2023
    Got this pretty much finished other than flattening the sole which I needed it assembled for anyway. Blade is sharpened to 3000 grit then polished with a leather strop. Not sure if I should go any further with it but it produced some nice fine shavings with pine and also left a lovely smooth finish!

Couple here of how it did look 

0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Excellent result
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Excellent work. Perfect end result, you should be chuffed.
    Stunning restoration. Truly stunning.
    However, where is the tissue-thin shaving of maple or mahogany that came from the mouth of this plane? :)
    Cheers guys! 

@Kalimna I need to set it up properly before I show what it can do  =)
  • Really great job, well worth doing.
    Thanks @KirkyYorkshire, I agree  :)

@Kalimna - Set this up earlier and here's what I got with pine and oak.

I'm really made up with how this performs. I followed a few steps I read online regarding the blade sharpness, chip breaker distance from the blade's edge and frog adjustment and they really made a difference. It's a joy to use and quite addictive  :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Excellent work! Nice shavings too - very good as firelighters for bbq/firepits....
    The other thing that really helps to make a good cut is to apply a little wax on the sole - a quick squiggle with a candle should do the trick.
    Thanks for the thread, very interesting indeed :)
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5581
    strat84 said:

OMG I can smell that photo!!

Great work, sir.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4642
    Coincidentally, I've just unearthed my Dad's, which is in similarly poor shape.  I doubt I'll get it looking as good as yours, but at least it shows that it's not beyond repair.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

@Kalimna Thanks, that's a great idea re the bbq, will keep them from now on! Thanks for the tip as well, will give that a try  :)

Cheers @DiscoStu Oak does smell lovely when cut! 

@Jonathangus - Definitely looks a good candidate to repair! Is it a No 4?

Is it typical to get the smaller shavings from Oak and the longer 'onion skins' from pine? I know pine is a soft wood but it seemed really easy to get full length shavings with the pine and the finish was like glass