Apple launches Logic Pro on iPad (yes, really)

What's Hot
Coming later this month. Alas ... subscription only. :(

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro-for-ipad/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1445
    FCPx too. Think the cost applies if you’ve already bought the standalone versions? That’s annoying. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    Excellent. The upfront cost on Mac is equivalent to several years of subscription on iPad so it's not ridiculous (*looks at Adobe with squinty eyes...*)

But a cheaper option for those who already have it on Mac wouldn't go amiss. I'm guessing they see it as a good way in for amateurs starting out, and a useful tool for pros etc allowing easy transfer between Mac and ipad. I'm still on GarageBand tbh but I'm definitely interested in picking up a "proper" DAW
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    iPads are terrible to write music with.

Hard pass.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27509
    The iPad is great for grabbing quick ideas.

Instant on, easy interface and Garageband FoC ready and waiting.  It got me into recording many years ago.

But a full heavyweight DAW on an iPad ??  If you've *only* got an iPad, maybe it's what you've been waiting for, but I'll stick with a laptop, multiple screens, multiple interfaces, cheap storage, etc.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Interesting - I use Cubasis on iPad for music making, along with other apps. I love the iPad for music making, nothing kills my inspiration more than a mouse and keyboard. On an iPad you grab a fader or hit a button, albeit a soft one. I may have a look at this but not sure I want to learn a new ecosystem. 
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1445
    octatonic said:

Hard pass.
    Well, if you’ve got recorded sketches of songs on your MacBook and you’re away from home, you can still work on arrangements and ideas on an iPad without having to take your laptop. It’s going to be very useful in the evenings after work when away from home. And a healthier alternative to the mini bar. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    TTony said:
    The iPad is great for grabbing quick ideas.

Instant on, easy interface and Garageband FoC ready and waiting.  It got me into recording many years ago.

But a full heavyweight DAW on an iPad ??  If you've *only* got an iPad, maybe it's what you've been waiting for, but I'll stick with a laptop, multiple screens, multiple interfaces, cheap storage, etc.
    The gap is tiny now. The iPad Pro with M2/8GB/512GB is effectively a MacBook Air with a touch-screen.

More than capable of doing 90% of tFBer's recording projects. Pros need more, and they always will, I guess.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27509
    goldtop said:

The gap is tiny now. The iPad Pro with M2/8GB/512GB is 
    £1600.  'kin expensive
    ;)

Fair point in terms of its processing / storage adequacy ...  but I'd still like a decent sized screen.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    goldtop said:

The gap is tiny now. The iPad Pro with M2/8GB/512GB is 
    £1600.  'kin expensive
    ;)

Fair point in terms of its processing / storage adequacy ...  but I'd still like a decent sized screen.
    Actually, it now does that, too. Since iPadOS 16.something, you can attach a HD/QHD/4k external monitor and run it as an independent 16:9 screen alongside the iPad's 4:3 ratio screen. But only on the M1/M2 processor models. Lesser models can only mirror the display.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    edited May 2023
    octatonic said:

Hard pass.
    Well, if you’ve got recorded sketches of songs on your MacBook and you’re away from home, you can still work on arrangements and ideas on an iPad without having to take your laptop. It’s going to be very useful in the evenings after work when away from home. And a healthier alternative to the mini bar. 
    Yeah, because a Macbook isn't at all portable.
    The supported iPads cost as much as a laptop.

I have 3 iPads in the studio.
    Two are for Soundflow control, one is on my Avid Dock as a source/headphone send, monitor source controller.

Using an iPad as a DAW?
    Hard pass.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    When is it coming out for Apple Watch? :-0
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    Philtre said:
    When is it coming out for Apple Watch? :-0

I actually tried Garageband on an iPod Touch once. That was enough.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

Hard pass.
    Yeah, because a Macbook isn't at all portable.
    The supported iPads cost as much as a laptop.

I have 3 iPads in the studio.
    Two are for Soundflow control, one is on my Avid Dock as a source/headphone send, monitor source controller.

Using an iPad as a DAW?
    Hard pass.
    Having a look at your set up, I think your needs are very much pro, in which case an iPad wouldn’t be best. But if you’ve literally got a small desk then it’s a great option, once I’ve tracked any “live” instruments, I can sit on the sofa with headphones and get a rough mix and play with sequencing etc. much more comfortably than a laptop.

Is yours a commercial set up I assume?  
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    edited May 2023
    Wires are the problem.. midi, audio.. ends up not making the most of the portability.  Never got on with Auria Pro as a full on iPad DAW.   I use Logic remote though.

Big use case will be tweaking and remixing on a sofa, train or plane I suppose.   Same with Final Cut… but I have two external multi TB drives for the media.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    A Macbook Air is actually smaller than than an Ipad Pro so it's hard to get excited by an Ipad option of logic. I mix on iPad all the time, haven't mixed on an FOH desk for years now and although it's kinda OK for live I don't I could do anything even approaching a rough mix recording demo wise on an iPad, the fader movement is just hit and miss and so it setting things like the Q value on a para  and the threshold of a compressor. It's just a more accurate with a mouse. 
    They do make good remotes for Logic and Mainstage though. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Danny1969 said:
    A Macbook Air is actually smaller than than an Ipad Pro so it's hard to get excited by an Ipad option of logic. I mix on iPad all the time, haven't mixed on an FOH desk for years now and although it's kinda OK for live I don't I could do anything even approaching a rough mix recording demo wise on an iPad, the fader movement is just hit and miss and so it setting things like the Q value on a para  and the threshold of a compressor. It's just a more accurate with a mouse. 
    They do make good remotes for Logic and Mainstage though. 

I guess now you have mouse support for iPad so you can always use a dock. 

I still think a laptop was better, but plenty of people don't have one these days.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    An ipad dock effectively makes it a laptop
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4162
    Not keen on the subscription idea I like Logic on my iMac . 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

I know quite a few people that record loads on Garage Band on Ipads.  Makes sense for those if they want to develop projects and are more than happy with the ipad workflow.  A very reasonable price for a much more powerful tool.  Wouldn't be surprised if they put it in as an option with one of their bundles like Apple One.

Much as I like GB on the ipad, a few things stop me using it.

No 'save' button, changes just automatically stay, I hate that
    Plugins very basic, just okay
    lack of record formats for higher quality source files.

Also worth noting, this may end up being a gateway back to the Mac world.  I may download it just to have a play and may move to a Macbook when my Laptop gets past it.  This means any projects can seamlessly move to the new Macbook you have started on the ipad.

It's a great move by Apple IMO, although I'll find out more when I try it.    
    Also: Pianoteq - which I think is pretty much another industry standard - came to iPadOS this week. Also quite a high-end product.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom