The PRS Signature that never was....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Ugly. I think they put the wrong components together.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4189
    TStevepage said:
    The one signature I wish did come about was this 

For Eddie Van Halen
    Are we sure that's a PRS?

The heel and neck looks very different to a typical CE model, much more like a Fender neck with a 3x3 headstock instead. The logo's odd too - I think this is probably a DIY build in the style of a PRS, no?

Incidentally, I have seen an 80s PRS Standard 24 with a single bridge humbucker, PRS trem with uproute, and EVH written inside the pickup cavity. I think it was in midnight blue metallic iirc, though it might've been a multifoil model.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3431
    The VH one looks like a Variax. 

The EJ one is interesting. I like a Mosrite as much as the next man, maybe more actually, but that’s more Bender Distortocaster than Mosrite.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11947
    Stevepage said:
    The one signature I wish did come about was this 

For Eddie Van Halen
    I wonder if this is how they end up with PRS SE One.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23204
    guitargeek62 said:

The heel and neck looks very different to a typical CE model, much more like a Fender neck with a 3x3 headstock instead. The logo's odd too - I think this is probably a DIY build in the style of a PRS, no?

Incidentally, I have seen an 80s PRS Standard 24 with a single bridge humbucker, PRS trem with uproute, and EVH written inside the pickup cavity. I think it was in midnight blue metallic iirc, though it might've been a multifoil model.
    It could be a prototype using the Fiore style neck joint rather than the CE type.  There were a few other bolt-ons before the Silver Sky and Fiore which had a more Fender-like neck joint than the CE, but I forget the names.

PRS Fiore Amaryllis 0327507 at Gear4music
    PRS Fiore - Amaryliss - Peach Guitars
    Philly_Q said:
    guitargeek62 said:

It could be a prototype using the Fiore style neck joint rather than the CE type.  There were a few other bolt-ons before the Silver Sky and Fiore which had a more Fender-like neck joint than the CE, but I forget the names.

Aye, potentially - but I don't recall seeing another CE-based model (e.g. SAS et al) that had the rounded-off corners on the fingerboard too, that would be a strange change to make for a one-off prototype.

You're right though about the heel, that was done first on the DC3, NF3 and Brent Mason models prior to the Fiore and SS; obviously they all used a different body shape than the CEs, along with a flat-top and forearm carve rather than a full carvetop.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/the-edward-van-halen-evh-prototype-prs-1-of-2.8656/ ;

I watched a little video about this a while back, that I can't find. 
    sounds like another example of PRS going after a big name, but it not working out. 

two guitar made by knaggs himself. the second prototype might still be in Eddie's collection. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    sgosden said:
    https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/the-edward-van-halen-evh-prototype-prs-1-of-2.8656/ ;

sounds like another example of PRS going after a big name, but it not working out. 

two guitar made by knaggs himself. the second prototype might still be in Eddie's collection. 
    Fascinating!

And there's that neck heel.  =)

• bobaccobobacco Frets: 535
    Philly_Q said:
    guitargeek62 said:

PRS Fiore Amaryllis 0327507 at Gear4music
    PRS Fiore - Amaryliss - Peach Guitars
    I’d eat my own face for a Fiore. Maybe because I’m a Lettieri fanboy, but mostly because it’s just a good looking machine!

sgosden said:

Neat! That explains a lot :mrgreen: 

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/the-edward-van-halen-evh-prototype-prs-1-of-2.8656/

Quick Specs:
    - 25.5" scale length
    - Custom-carved, bolt-on, flame maple neck & fretboard (check out the rounded corners at the 22nd fret)
    - 1-piece Swamp Ash Body with deep "Dragon Carve" top that was hand-carved by Joe Knaggs
    - Peavey-license FR Tremolo with D-Tuna (there is some speculation as to why; originally had a genuine FR)
    - Very unusual (and thick) neck heel
    - EVH-style pickup cavity with hard-mounted, custom-wound, McCarty humbucker (8.8k, Alnico II)
    - No neck pickup, no tone pot, & no pickup selector switch
    - Relocated output jack (moved down a few inches to the bottom of the body)
    - 12" fretboard radius

Look at those tuning keys!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Interesting that it has a McCarty pickup, I know his original Frankenstein guitar had some kind of PAF type from an ES-335, but I think the later Music Man and Peavey guitars had something higher output?
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2416
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4304

The EJ one is interesting. I like a Mosrite as much as the next man, maybe more actually, but that’s more Bender Distortocaster than Mosrite.
    Hah dammit, I was just thinking it reminded me of something! I like it though, minimalist vibe. Not sure about the slant humbucker, I know it's an EVH thing but it doesn't quite sit right visually.

OT, but the only time I ever saw a Variax onstage was in the hands of the guitarist in the Mars Volta circa 2004. Do Line6 still make them?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27296

Yes!!! Remarkably so, in fact. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1325
    I would've loved that if I hadn't quit drinking 6 months ago. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    There are a few one off Variaxes I was involved with - I seem to remember one being built for Eddie but whether it ever got finished/sent to him I don't know. I know there were huge challenges at the time in getting a Floyd to work with the piezos reliably... they sorted it later for the JTV89F.

Steve Howe (him of Yes) has a fabulous 24fret 335-alike that I worked on with no pickups and the Variax circuitry - albeit with Graphtech Ghost saddles on a TonePros bridge. It was a one off that at one time was slated to be a production thing... never happened though. Shame - very cool instrument.

Jerry Donahue has a V700 in amber with a one-off maple neck - thats a gorgeous thing. Its very much like an old Fender in feel - as you'd expect!

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom