New Queens of the Stone Age

What's Hot
LPManicLPManic Frets: 1085
edited May 2023 in Music
New QOTSA song "Emotion Sickness" from new album In Times New Roman...

Riffing and verses are typical Queens fare but the chorus is just fantastic. Very dreamy and the bass playing is exquisite.

Bonus points for the fade out at the end. Rarely hear them these days.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18778
    edited May 2023
    I was just listening to this earlier on the last bit of Marc Riley's (or maybe the earlier bit of Gideon Coe's) last 7pm 6Music show. It was a transitional point & I was busy  :#
    I recognised it was QOTSA but yes, it had a lot of different, subtle stuff going on.
    Will listen again 1 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    I'm not sure about that one tbh. Needs a few more listens --- but most QOTSA has been love at first listen for me so not feeling that confident... 
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1451
    So long as there’s some cool merch and tunes off the first few albums in Cardiff, I’m happy. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18778
    I'm not sure about that one tbh. Needs a few more listens --- but most QOTSA has been love at first listen for me so not feeling that confident... 
    Feel Good Hit of the Summer it isn't, but I'll give it a go  ;)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    I'll try to listen to it with an open mind.  But I've never really forgiven Josh Homme for Kyuss not existing any more.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    I just imagine a gig of theirs from a distance sounds like 2 hours of the verse type riff. It's not Kyuss! 1st 3 albums, for me, are hard to beat.
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1125
    Not a band getting better with age imho.  There's always the old stuff to listen to though.

S56035 said:
    Not a band getting better with age imho.  There's always the old stuff to listen to though.

I agree, but then to be honest I've only probably heard the first four(?) albums, found myself losing interest and haven't listened to anything since.  So they could now be banging out works of transcendent genius.  Although I suspect not.

(Same would apply to Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, RHCP, post-Layne albums from Alice in Chains, etc.)
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    Love QOTSA. Cheers for the heads up, surprised I missed it.
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1451
    Odd single. Part QOTSA, part 70s glam, part prog. Maybe it's a grower. Maybe.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1085
    Justin Hawkins has done a decent review of it. 

And some Norwegian dude has done a run down of the riff.

Liking it more and more with each listen. 
  • I heard that Dave Grohl plays drums on some songs and Billy F Gibbons of ZZ TOP appears on a track on the album too.

Exciting stuff! 
    I listened to it a few times last night.  At first I thought it sounded like about fifteen different songs and musical styles all uncomfortably mashed together, but it's grown on me a bit.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I have a strong dislike of these guys for some reason.
    Always thought they were a bit pop rock posers. 
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Not loving it so far which is a pity as quiet like QOTSA generally. Still looking forward to the album though
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Actually, maybe I'm thinking of kings of Leon...? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Kings of Leon are much more shit than Queens of the Stone Age.  Not that I'm saying either of them are shit...
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1085
    I do think it’s worth mentioning that the song is clearly about his divorce from his wife (not to mention the restraining order he has for her and her boyfriend). And some nice lyric call backs to the first song from the last album which talked about their relationship in a more positive light. 

The life of a rock star! [sarcasm]
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    Philly_Q said:
    Kings of Leon are much more shit than Queens of the Stone Age.  Not that I'm saying either of them are shit...
    I am! Kings of fucking Leon!? You may as well rub shit in your ears. Please let’s not mention them again. Please. Please guys  :'(
  • Deadman said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I am! Kings of fucking Leon!? You may as well rub shit in your ears. Please let’s not mention them again. Please. Please guys  :'(
    Not to derail the thread but I actually felt this way about KOL for a long time. I remember they used to get a lot of airplay on Kerrang, Scuzz etc. 

It was the "Only by the night" album that changed them. It was their "black album". But I love The Black Album. Soooo I don't know maybe that says something about me? I think the sheen of the production of OBTN makes KOL much more appealing than the early raw trashy stuff. It's a similar story for a few other bands for me. I hated the first Arctic Monkeys album, and the early Foals stuff. Then they could afford to get experimental and get some proper production going and they just became a whole different breed.