Developing RH picking technique

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• joeWjoeW Frets: 463
    bobacco said:

I pursued it (the GB technique) years and years ago, but bailed as it was like relearning the entire instrument. However in the last year or so, I’ve sort of morphed into it because of mild discomfort with the ‘traditional’ grips, so I’m getting the hang of it. I feel I have a much better control over the dynamics and the only thing that I was worried about was the adaptability to exactly the sort of rhythm playing Henry was doing above!
    I was of the same opinion, but I just noticed that Cory Wong also holds his pick in a GB grip - and there is nothing lacking about his rhythm chops ...

Am going to get more info and incorporate some practise routines and give a a few weeks to see if anything starts to click.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    edited May 2023
    All the comments here are spot on, but I’d also recommend going to a teacher who’s really good at it. I’m a guitar teacher myself, but alternate picking has always been my weak point, and having lessons myself has really (really) helped. All depends how you learn best though - I definitely need someone to ‘show and tell’ - some of the resources already mentioned were really useful, but I prefer the interaction and having someone tell me what I’m doing wrong rather than taking ages figuring it out myself. That being said, I’m probably only about 5 years into erasing 30 years’ worth of bad habits  :#
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prs8124prs8124 Frets: 2
    I’d never come across that article before, really an eye opener for me, going to give it a try.
  • jackiojackio Frets: 132
    I read the article and tried it. Wow. Game changer. Obviously there'll be an period of adapting but it's a game changer. I'm chuffed, thanks for posting this
  • I’ve been trying the GB grip today and I really like it. It’s got a nice smoothness and I like the ‘pop’ of the notes when using the pointy end of the pick. I’m not entirely sure about bending my wrist in that way for long periods, so I don’t think I have the posture right yet.

I’ve been having a go at Bluegrass tunes this week, and I’ve tried combining these two elements but I don’t think they mesh very well. For bluegrass you need this consistent alternate quaver motion, and the GB grip seems suited to more of an economy picking approach? Do enlighten me if I have that wrong.

As for ‘cracking the code’ I’ve always scoffed at it a bit, because it seems to be all about shredding, which is about 1% of Guitar playing in my experience. However, his consistent approach has since proved to me that he’s doing fantastic work of researching what is a surprisingly complex and misunderstood aspect of guitar playing. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Does Marty Friedman use the GB grip?

• joeWjoeW Frets: 463
    roberty said:
    Does Marty Friedman use the GB grip?

The wrist angle is the same but he doesn't flip grip over like GB, who has his thumb on the bridge side not headstock side if that makes sense.  

I have been working on the GB grip now for a few months and its going really well.
    Upside - articulation is better, the upstrokes are of a more similar tone and strength.  Maybe my old technique was bad but the upstrokes were alway weaker and thinner sounding.  Alternative picking is cleaner as the pick doesn't go as far down between the strings.  Speed is already where I was (not very fast mind)
    Downside - chords still feel a little clumsy (haven't spent anytime on this really).  Can't hybrid pick (didn't really much anyway). Muting requires a small change in position of wrist

For me, as a predominately clean player, its def worth the time.
  • Just popped the kettle on and watch this.

https://youtu.be/NWuGkXhj0T8?si=-K0D8ZJzwv63Vt00

Summarises so much of Troy’s work and helped me a little more straight away. Might be the best video he’s done
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    edited October 2023
    bobacco said:
    Troy Grady’s Cracking the Code is a great investment and digs super deep into every minutiae of the physiology and mechanics of picking. 

If you’re more looking for a book, Mark Burgess’ The Serious Guitarist - Right Hand Picking is worth a punt. 

I’d definitely recommend persisting with the George Benson grip - here’s a decent article (two parts):

https://fretboardanatomy.com/picking/

Edit: Stupidly forgot to mention Martin Miller’s JTC box set. Specifically the picking one! But they’re all worth the price of entry; fantastic guitarist and pedagogue. 
    Here’s Grady’s latest.  https://youtu.be/NWuGkXhj0T8?feature=shared

A lot of his stuff I find overkill, mainly because I don’t share his passion for speed and technique.  But this video covers important aspects of pick grip and wrist movement.  @chrisoldroyd might find this useful (from his other picking thread)
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    I’m by no means a great picker, I don’t really have an interest in it admittedly, but I found interval studies brilliant for improving my general picking technique. 

Alternate picking the intervals of 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths and 7ths all up, down and alternating up/down and down/up is great work for the right hand (and left too!). Sticking to one position and doing it in all 12 keys will keep things fresh and challenging. 

This octave displacement idea from Oz Noy is fantastic too. He incorporates his RH fingers but I just pick through the whole thing (only the major scale mind, not bothered with the Whole Tone… yet). 

None of this is for the sake of developing speed per se, so might not be exactly relevant to your needs. Just another thing to explore that might be beneficial? :smile:
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Brad said:
    I’m by no means a great picker, I don’t really have an interest in it admittedly, but I found interval studies brilliant for improving my general picking technique. 

Alternate picking the intervals of 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths and 7ths all up, down and alternating up/down and down/up is great work for the right hand (and left too!). Sticking to one position and doing it in all 12 keys will keep things fresh and challenging. 

This octave displacement idea from Oz Noy is fantastic too. He incorporates his RH fingers but I just pick through the whole thing (only the major scale mind, not bothered with the Whole Tone… yet). 

None of this is for the sake of developing speed per se, so might not be exactly relevant to your needs. Just another thing to explore that might be beneficial? :smile:
    That is a pretty great thing to practice, I love that kind of stuff.  It couples some difficult techniques to practice, like string skipping, while forcing some fretboard knowledge.
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    Cranky said:
    That is a pretty great thing to practice, I love that kind of stuff.  It couples some difficult techniques to practice, like string skipping, while forcing some fretboard knowledge.
    Yeah that’s the aim… killing two (or three) stones with one bird :wink: 

It can be quite taxing mentally initially, but after a short while it becomes almost quite meditative. 
  • I do the intervals as described above, sticking to one position. I also do what I call ‘back-cycling’ with them - for example cefdegafgbca etc for 3rds…I might make a little video of it and post it here if it helps.

I also now do diatonic triads in one position with back cycling too. 

This is all really for melodic fluency but it really works your picking hand too.