The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Great race ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4558
    Yeah, what a race. I gotta say I much prefer watching the highlights than the whole race. Blasphemy I'm sure.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Bloody hell a good race in Barcelona!  It looks unlikely that McLaren will overhaul Sauber in the near future...
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    It was great to hear the drivers sounding knackered on the radio. It seems the new cars are as physical as they said they would be. I think Silverstone and Spa could be a problem for some drivers. LH seemed to be suffering more than most, maybe he needs to work on the fitness? 
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    I could see Alonso going to Renault and retiring there. They love him there, they may let him do Le Mans too. Palmer is clearly already really struggling, Hulk isn't a big enough star to have a say on other drivers, and there's absolutely no reason to stay with Mclaren. The only issue is whether Mercedes would consider Alonso for a year in 2018 if they don't go with Bottas.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22189
    Hoof said:
    It was great to hear the drivers sounding knackered on the radio. It seems the new cars are as physical as they said they would be. I think Silverstone and Spa could be a problem for some drivers. LH seemed to be suffering more than most, maybe he needs to work on the fitness? 
    I would be more worried about Singapore. It tends to be a long race in the most demanding conditions of the year. 

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22189
    I could see Alonso going to Renault and retiring there. They love him there, they may let him do Le Mans too. Palmer is clearly already really struggling, Hulk isn't a big enough star to have a say on other drivers, and there's absolutely no reason to stay with Mclaren. The only issue is whether Mercedes would consider Alonso for a year in 2018 if they don't go with Bottas.
    Given how Bottas has been a race winner and very helpful today in holding up Vettel a bit before his car blew up, I think Mercedes would be insane to get rid of him and bring in Alonso. The only way Alonso should be in a Mercedes is if Hamilton leaves. 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7482
    Fretwired said:
    Hamilton has a contract but Bottas doesn't. I can see Hamilton being quite happy fighting Vettel in the same car. If he wins he becomes undisputed best of his era. If not, there's no shame losing to a 4-time champ. 

If he has any sense Vettel will have signed a pre-agreement with both Merc AND Ferrari promising to negotiate properly after the summer.
    What happens if Bottas beats Hamilton and is F1 champ? 
    I'll take that bet. 

It's a fantasy. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    TimmyO said:
    I'm coming up with creative ways to make the season interesting for a McLaren fan like me.

How many races in to the season before both McLarens finish the race?
    How many races in to the season before a McLaren finishes with 6 cars finishing behind it?
    How many races in to the season before both McLarens finish with 6 cars finishing behind them?
    How many races in to the season before a McLaren finishes in the points?
    How many races in to the season before a McLaren gets in to Q3? 

Who wants to play? 
    Well it took 5 races to tick one item off the list!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27126
    I 5-lived-it yesterday as I was at work but caught the highlights on youtube. What a pass by Vettel on Bottas! 

It's just brilliant that we've got arguably the best two drivers in two different but well matched cars. How long ago did that last happen? 2012?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Mercedes have offered to help Honda - Alonson must be pleased he finished a race. Honda think they are about 50bhp down on Mercedes. If the FIA relax the rules and allow Honda to catch-up they could be competitive by the end of the year.

I think Bottas is doing enough to keep his seat next year.

This is interesting ...

Valtteri Bottas says it is too early to be thinking about extending his one-year deal with Mercedes.

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has refused to rule out an attempt to sign Fernando Alonso for the 2018 season.

Jenson Button, who retired last year, cannot rule out of the prospect of returning full-time to Formula 1 in 2018.

Let's be honest - Fernando's people will be hounding Toto until it is categorically out of the question. And McLaren must be all too aware that he's likely to leave, whether that's for Merc or Renault. Unless this year's car is looking at podiums by mid-season, why would he stay?
    edited May 2017
    Let's be honest - Fernando's people will be hounding Toto until it is categorically out of the question. And McLaren must be all too aware that he's likely to leave, whether that's for Merc or Renault. Unless this year's car is looking at podiums by mid-season, why would he stay?
    Agreed. I could see Bottas returning to Williams to replace Massa, Button returning to McLaren (they need his experience to develop the car) and Alonso to Mercedes. Ferrari will have to react and maybe replace Kimi. We could end up with 2018 being a vintage year with three of the top drivers in competitive cars. Maybe Ricciardo to Ferrari? I think Mercedes and Ferrari and F1's owners have seen the positive press after Sunday's race with the Hamilton v Vettel duel. It would be great to have Alonso in the mix and find out who is the best driver.

• absolutpepperabsolutpepper Frets: 222
    I think Sainz will end up in the 2nd seat at Ferrari and Kimi will retire, Bottas will stay with Merc (assuming he helps them to a constructors championship), Alonso will either take a year out or head to Renault to partner Hulk, RB will remain the same (although perhaps a Ricciardo/Vettel switch could happen), McLaren will keep Stoffel and A N Other (see Bottas, Hulk, Sainz, etc depending on how their seasons play out...or Button if Monaco reignites his love) Williams will struggle with all these moves (maybe Perez partnering Stroll but I wouldnt overlook Di Resta).  But really who knows...its 5 races in to 2017 so anything could happen
    I reckon Sainz or Perez for the second Ferrari seat. Red Bull won't release Ricciardo, not least because they won't want anyone else to have him.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we see several 1-year deals next year since Merc have set that precedent, then the market is WIDE open when Hamilton, Verstappen & Ricciardo become free agents for 2019. 

Honestly my dream lineup would be Vettel/Ricciardo at Ferrari and Hamilton/Alonso at Merc with Sainz getting the leg-up at Red Bull.

I think Bottas is showing himself to be a very solid potential-but-probably-never-champion in the Webber/Barrichello mould. Absolutely blinding on his day but not that extra 0.5%. But frankly, he's super-dull and I don't want to see Fernando retire without one last title fight.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    I would like to see diving into the pits for a tyre change under the SC and VSC outlawed.  :)
  • absolutpepperabsolutpepper Frets: 222
    I reckon Sainz or Perez for the second Ferrari seat. Red Bull won't release Ricciardo, not least because they won't want anyone else to have him.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we see several 1-year deals next year since Merc have set that precedent, then the market is WIDE open when Hamilton, Verstappen & Ricciardo become free agents for 2019. 

Honestly my dream lineup would be Vettel/Ricciardo at Ferrari and Hamilton/Alonso at Merc with Sainz getting the leg-up at Red Bull.

I think Bottas is showing himself to be a very solid potential-but-probably-never-champion in the Webber/Barrichello mould. Absolutely blinding on his day but not that extra 0.5%. But frankly, he's super-dull and I don't want to see Fernando retire without one last title fight.
    I'd love Ham/Alo at Merc but that'll never happen.  Its an open secret in the paddock that Ham will not partner with Alo in a team again - supposedly.  I thought Ric was an option for next year not tied to a contract...he was asked in Spain if he would stay next year and he was a bit cagey so that makes me think he'll be looking at his options.  Either way, Ric or Sainz will move on from the RB program next year as they both need more competitive drives
    rocktron said:
    I would like to see diving into the pits for a tyre change under the SC and VSC outlawed.  :)
    I'd like to see a tyre that lasts for 70 odd laps. Bolt it on and race hard ... no pit stops.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24423
    Alonso was mighty in the Indy500 qualifying.

Starting 5th - that's the middle of row 2. And that was with an engine problem that cost him speed

Best bit was the press conference...

Interviewer: Were you nervous about your engine needing to be changed just before qualifying?

FA: "Not nervous. Used to it"

:D
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom