The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Explosive bolts on the canopy. Might need a bit of finessing, granted, but it could work.........
    Yep - this. Auto-release bolts based on a G-force trigger, and a button on the car for marshals to access to release it, similar to how they have neutral and fire extinguisher controls (see below)

If they really want to do head protection they need to do it comprehensively, as an integral part of a major change to the F1 car specs, not just a bolted-on, compromise half-measure.

I was only joking about explosive bolts!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    Explosive bolts on the canopy. Might need a bit of finessing, granted, but it could work.........
    Yep - this. Auto-release bolts based on a G-force trigger, and a button on the car for marshals to access to release it, similar to how they have neutral and fire extinguisher controls (see below)

If they really want to do head protection they need to do it comprehensively, as an integral part of a major change to the F1 car specs, not just a bolted-on, compromise half-measure.

I don't mean anything powerful enough launch them into the crowd - just enough to push the canopy clear of the car...! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Well, with Liberty Media wanting to put on a more spectacular show......................

:D 

You could install fireworks on each car - with the winner's ones triggered as they pass the chequered flag...! 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

I don't mean anything powerful enough launch them into the crowd - just enough to push the canopy clear of the car...! 
    There won't be any exploding bolts .. what would happen in a crash if the exploding bolts were triggered? A car behind could get a screen full of bolts and a canopy heading their way.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!

Fretwired said:

There won't be any exploding bolts .. what would happen in a crash if the exploding bolts were triggered? A car behind could get a screen full of bolts and a canopy heading their way.

Not according to my extensive research. Well, two minutes on the web, anyway. And in any case, it can't be any worse than following Kvyat around the track.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    Exploding bolts only shear the bolt. They are still captive in the rest of the mounting.

What you need to worry about is the entire canopy hitting someone in the face. Fortunately they'll have a canopy in the way.

Anyway - a bit of clever programming and and it's no problem. Big G force impact primes the system. Then 1 second after the car is no longer moving at all the bolts fire. So it doesn't actually fire until the car has stopped completely.

So there you have it.

Who needs the FIA, when the FB F1 team is available to solve such complex issues?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

So there you have it.

Who needs the FIA, when the FB F1 team is available to solve such complex issues?

Exactly. Now if we could just sort the driver market out that'd be great...!
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    why stop at canopies ... full ejector seats .... safety, enhance the show .. drivers awarded extra points for their parachute landing style.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    The problem with ejector seats is that the likelyhood of being able to stand more than one experience without life changing injury is unacceptably low. the bang has to be big enough to ensure the 'chute' will open before you hit the ground and that is a lot of sudden acceleration. Many combat pilots get grounded as a result.

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
     ESBlonde said:
    The problem with ejector seats is that the likelyhood of being able to stand more than one experience without life changing injury is unacceptably low. the bang has to be big enough to ensure the 'chute' will open before you hit the ground and that is a lot of sudden acceleration. Many combat pilots get grounded as a result.

Pah .. realist! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    ESBlonde said:

You over-thought that answer.

The problem with ejector seats is the Monaco tunnel.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Not according to my extensive research. Well, two minutes on the web, anyway. And in any case, it can't be any worse than following Kvyat around the track.

Course it can - you could be slow and have him behind you.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

Nomad said:

Course it can - you could be slow and have him behind you.
    True, but the point was you wouldn't want to be running over all the debris if you were behind him.

Cosworth begins work towards 2021 Formula 1 return .. good news.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130830/cosworth-begins-work-towards-2021-f1-return

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4819
    So the BBC are confirming that Kubica will get a drive at the Hungary mid season test:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40703059

Interestingly though he apparently has only driven a 2012 F1 car so far, with all the best will in the world I can't see him matching lap times with Palmer let alone Heidfeld in the new car. With the amount of setting changes they do through just one lap and also the physicality of the new cars, I don't think he will be back in F1 again. I hope I'm wrong and I stand to be corrected but I can't see it.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

edited July 2017
    Wow .. Aston Martin to join F1 in 2021 probably with Red Bull Racing .... "that has led to speculation that Aston Martin, Red Bull and Cosworth could form a partnership to build an engine for 2021 and beyond".

http://www.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/aston-martin-ponders-f1-future-64775.html

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Boromedic said:
    So the BBC are confirming that Kubica will get a drive at the Hungary mid season test:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40703059

Interestingly though he apparently has only driven a 2012 F1 car so far, with all the best will in the world I can't see him matching lap times with Palmer let alone Heidfeld in the new car. With the amount of setting changes they do through just one lap and also the physicality of the new cars, I don't think he will be back in F1 again. I hope I'm wrong and I stand to be corrected but I can't see it.

The last test that Kubica took part in, he was 6 secs a lap faster than their usual test driver, he has issues with hand strength and flexibility that would make Monaco impossible due to the extra steering angle. Where did I get the info ? I ha have an old friend who works there and indeed has so since the old Senna Toleman days and yes it's still the same core team 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4819
    edited July 2017
    Well we shall see at the test how he does, I hope he can do it and I have no reason to disbelieve the information you have stated, plenty of folk still in the factories from the older F1 days. That being said I think these new cars and the physicality required may just be a bridge too far, fingers crossed for him.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.