The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Is Lando Norris the next Lewis Hamilton?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40813681

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

McLaren replied: "Was totally mega, Lando."

Clearly, McLaren are getting down with the teenage lingo.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4828
    He certainly impressed with the times he set but obviously difficult to compare in some ways. Plus his name is awesome so hopefully he can be the new young upstart in a season or two. Demonstrating pace like that from only racing in F3 before shows real talent.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4538
    An interesting (if difficult to read) article here about Formula E / Formula 1

https://www.jocksandnerds.com/articles/could-formula-e-be-bigger-than-formula-1
    DesVegas said:
    An interesting (if difficult to read) article here about Formula E / Formula 1

https://www.jocksandnerds.com/articles/could-formula-e-be-bigger-than-formula-1
    I think there will be a shift towards Formula E as we start buying electric cars and the old combustion engine goes the way of the dinosaur. Formula One will have to embrace electric or become irrelevant. No car company will invest serious cash building a combustion engine. We're a way off that yet, but the fact Mercedes have entered Formula E means they see it having a bright future.

Just kill me now.

Just kill me now.
    Way to go yet .... the French and UK government's still haven't worked out how all these electric cars will be charged .. there could yet be a backlash against them .. :-)

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4828
    edited August 2017
    Seeing as its few years away yet, will charging be an issue then? Would solar or other forms of self generating power be mature enough to take over? Or maybe the hydrogen car will take over in the end?

Still a number of questions I suppose on how to implement it, I think the tech is close for more people to be off grid leccy wise and maybe even heating wise with these ground and air heat pumps etc. question is do they want you self sufficient on that front but this is the wrong forum for that.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    I tried to get into Formula E (I wanted to love it!) but each time I've watched it has bene like pulling teeth. 

It'll work better as a PR exercise when they can run for longer without having to jump in to a second car too! lol 

imho there is a far better chance of retaining the F1 fans by transitioning the fuel power/electric power balance over time within F1 rather than expecting them to start watching skittish pointy dodgems
    Red ones are better. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1303
    The last races in Canada were exciting and entertaining.  There's lots to dislike about formula e but there is definitely good racing to watch.
    There's no way I could ever get excited about an electric motor. 

Interesting, but that won't appease the tree huggers. If it works it could provide an interim solution for 20 years or so ....

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1303
    You don't need to, although you've opened the door to sex toy jokes there btw.

Formula e is massively flawed, but watch the USA and Canada rounds - the drama and action are at the very least on a par with something like the modern BTCC on a good weekend (which isn't every weekend).  

I really don't like fanboost, I also think the swapping cars part is embarassing, but the management of power is actually quite interesting (unlike fuel saving in F1) and best of all there is (very close to) parity between the teams.  
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    sinbaadi said:
    You don't need to, although you've opened the door to sex toy jokes there btw.

Formula e is massively flawed, but watch the USA and Canada rounds - the drama and action are at the very least on a par with something like the modern BTCC on a good weekend (which isn't every weekend).  

I really don't like fanboost, I also think the swapping cars part is embarassing, but the management of power is actually quite interesting (unlike fuel saving in F1) and best of all there is (very close to) parity between the teams.  

Doh! I suspected I'd get pulled up about sex toys!

I have watched numerous Formula E races. But I cannot accept the lack of proper engine noise. They sound like milkfloats and when you've been a motor race fan all your life, had a love affair with sports cars, built numerous very high-performance engines, and driven them, it leaves me cold. The wife is a bigger motorhead than I am, and she refuses to watch Formula E, preferring to fall asleep on the sofa, as she agrees it's the most boring spectacle ever.

I may be a dinosaur, but I'm comfortable with how I feel. I'm no Luddite, and I do recognise the car industry tide has changed, but that doesn't mean to say I have to like it.

As for LJKS, he was undoubtedly a clever chap, and I used to enjoy reading the twaddle he came out with. I thought he looked really stylish, and cool, but he was a pompous, supercilious arsehole with it.

• rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    Having been an F1 fan since the 60's, I  despair how the sport has progressed.
    I rarely watch F1 now, just bored with it all.
    Formula E, really?
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Does formula e still have the fan boost? That's the dumbest idea ever
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Guy makes road legal style F1 cars .....

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    In an eminently predictable and slightly dull turn of events, Kimi is staying at Ferrari. I assume it's only a matter of time before we get news of Bottas' remarkable decision to stay at Mercedes too. 

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/ferrari-f1-keeps-our-favorite-mumbling-weirdo-kimi-raik-1798309800
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires