The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4908
    Cols said:
    Here’s some helmet cam footage from Sainz, who doesn’t have it anywhere near as bad as the Mercs.  Looks horrible.

https://youtu.be/Mn0jyf8rB_U 

That looks pretty brutal!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7817
    Boromedic said:
    Cols said:
    Here’s some helmet cam footage from Sainz, who doesn’t have it anywhere near as bad as the Mercs.  Looks horrible.

Just horrific. Can't be doing them any good at all.
  • TimmyO said:
    Cols said:

I was watching LH head and the bouncing must be like being in a boxing match . I reckon a lot of headaches . Could it be the younger drivers can manage it better? 
    It's pretty brutal.  George Russell has been complaining of back and chest pains as a result of the porpoising.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that yesterday there was a slow-motion shot of Lewis and someone else coming into a corner, and it looked like the Merc was almost leaving the ground, it was bouncing so hard. It can't be doing them any good.
    I think that was when they were showing slo mo of Alonso's bodywork coming off and all.i.c9uld look at was the Merc bouncing 

Yeah that was it - the Merc was like a clown's car with oval wheels.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• euaneuan Frets: 1522
    The "its all about the car brigade" looking at the opportunity to put down Hamilton forget he has won a race in every full season he has competed. Give some of the poor McLarens and the tyre shredding Mercedes he has driven it proves his talent.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7143
    Boromedic said:
    Cols said:

I’d be worried about long term damage to the spinal column and chronic traumatic brain injury.

Motor racing’s very physical, but that looks like it has potential to do something permanent to a driver.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1323
    euan said:
    The "its all about the car brigade" looking at the opportunity to put down Hamilton forget he has won a race in every full season he has competed. Give some of the poor McLarens and the tyre shredding Mercedes he has driven it proves his talent.
    No it's not an opportunity to put down Hamilton.  I think he's done brilliantly.  He has generally beaten his team mates, and they have generally seemed to be fairly decent drivers, too.  
    The difference is that whilst your opinion is based on outright results, facilitated by the car he is sat in (whatever you might say about poor McLarens, Button outscored Hamilton overall if I recall, and Rosberg won plenty of races with Mercedes, too), my opinion is based on how he has done against his team mates, how good they are, and how he races.
    Hamilton is no worse this year than last or the year before.  It's not about results, and if you decide it is about results when he wins, but not when he doesn't, that doesn't make sense.
    Cols said:
    Boromedic said:
    Cols said:

I’d be worried about long term damage to the spinal column and chronic traumatic brain injury.

Motor racing’s very physical, but that looks like it has potential to do something permanent to a driver.
    I think that could well become an issue over a race distance mate, definitely looks severe and the Mercedes is worse than the Ferrari. I did wonder previously if George would struggle less with it being younger, no matter how fit Lewis is, at 37 he's gonna feel the effects more than George. 

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6199
    Indeed. It's always the case that an older more experienced driver/rider/footballer/etc is eventually eclipsed by someone younger. 

I'm a big LH fan, but I wonder how he will deal with this car/team-mate situation. This could be a repeat of Hamilton's rookie year, where Alonso got more and more frustrated.
    goldtop said:
    Indeed. It's always the case that an older more experienced driver/rider/footballer/etc is eventually eclipsed by someone younger. 

I'm a big LH fan, but I wonder how he will deal with this car/team-mate situation. This could be a repeat of Hamilton's rookie year, where Alonso got more and more frustrated.
    I suppose the big difference there though, would be that Alonso's frustrations were based on the fact that the car could win races and the title. The Mercedes is clearly not going to be threatening the podium regularly till the mid season if at all. Sainz at least would've been ahead of George if he hadn't binned it. So Lewis is going to be less annoyed for that reason, I think also he seems both more at ease from last season's shenanigans and less arsed. He knows he won the title last year, he's happy, I think he may well retire if I'm honest. 

• musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    Surely the risk of physical damage to the drivers , the FIA should perhaps allow all the teams the chances to correct it with perhaps some increased flexibility in the construction rules. I really do think the difference between a 24 year old and 37 could make a difference with such punishment , but could we see drivers suing for injuries that could be avoided. 
    goldtop said:

There's an echo of the situation at Red Bull in 2014 for me; regulation change, the car is suddenly uncompetitive, and the young buck upstages the multiple WC.

Hamilton has nothing left to prove, so he may well decide that he's not in F1 to qualify and race outside the top 10.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12448
    Boromedic said:
    goldtop said:

I suppose the big difference there though, would be that Alonso's frustrations were based on the fact that the car could win races and the title. The Mercedes is clearly not going to be threatening the podium regularly till the mid season if at all. Sainz at least would've been ahead of George if he hadn't binned it. So Lewis is going to be less annoyed for that reason, I think also he seems both more at ease from last season's shenanigans and less arsed. He knows he won the title last year, he's happy, I think he may well retire if I'm honest. 
    I think he’ll go at the end of this season whatever happens. He’s already proved he’s one of the best drivers of the modern era, I doubt he’ll want to take a chance on the car being competitive enough to win another WDC next season. I can’t see another top team giving him a seat at his age either.  
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1323
    It would be great to see him go to Indy Car.  He might be getting on a bit but there'll be no shortage of offers from all sorts of series, and he does seem to like the USA.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadi said:
    It would be great to see him go to Indy Car.  He might be getting on a bit but there'll be no shortage of offers from all sorts of series, and he does seem to like the USA.

I think he's got enough irons in enough fires outside motorsport that once he leaves F1 he'll concentrate on something entirely different; my money's on something to do with music and fashion, with a lot of time being spent on his charitable/equal opportunities work.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Well I hope he’s better at driving than fashion design 

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5814
    boogieman said:

I don’t think we’re really his market here ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    dazzajl said:
    boogieman said:

In the name of all that's good, who is his target market?
    Cols said:
    dazzajl said:
    boogieman said:

In the name of all that's good, who is his target market?
    Blind people
     ;) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What would the likes of Nuvolari, Fangio and Moss have made of a World Champion threatening not to race because he’s not allowed to have bits of metal through his face on track?

Lewis Hamilton frustrated by FIA jewellery rules at Miami Grand Prix build-up

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/61342278