The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2935
    Cols said:
    What would the likes of Nuvolari, Fangio and Moss have made of a World Champion threatening not to race because he’s not allowed to have bits of metal through his face on track?

Lewis Hamilton frustrated by FIA jewellery rules at Miami Grand Prix build-up

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/61342278
    Its a stupid rule by the FIA that really does not interfere with safety or any drivers ability to do their job.  Hes right to make a stand

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7082
    Cols said:
    What would the likes of Nuvolari, Fangio and Moss have made of a World Champion threatening not to race because he’s not allowed to have bits of metal through his face on track?

Its a stupid rule by the FIA that really does not interfere with safety or any drivers ability to do their job.  Hes right to make a stand
    I rather imagine Grosjean was quite glad he didn’t have any intimate piercings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1312
    Yeah I tend to agree that this should be advisory and not mandatory.  

I reckon Fangio et al would be appalled more by how many words are in the modern rule book, than they would be by a driver challenging a section of them.  A section that has no effect on the driver's chances of beating his competitors, and whilst there are safety concerns, this is not like refusing to wear a seatbelt.  It won't kill him.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7529
    Cols said:
    Cols said:

I rather imagine Grosjean was quite glad he didn’t have any intimate piercings.
    Well if we’re just imagining stuff then I imagine they’d say “he’s the best of us, stop making up stupid rules and let him do as he will” 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27160
    I would imagine the old guys who mostly raced without seatbelts or roll hoops would think it was ridiculous that the FIA was worried about whether a driver has an earring under the helmet. 

Watches I can more understand, I guess.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4197
    I would imagine the old guys who mostly raced without seatbelts or roll hoops would think it was ridiculous that the FIA was worried about whether a driver has an earring under the helmet. 

From what I’ve seen of the watches most of them wear, they wouldn’t want to race with them because of the weight penalty! :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27160
    edited May 2022
    I don’t know, apparently those Richard Milles worn by Leclerc, Norris, Grosjean and others, while ridiculous, weigh fuck all and are almost indestructible 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    The watches are a form of advertising/personal sponsorship and may well not contribute to the FIA but the manufactures still gain an advantage when they are seen on TV.   Have a nose ring or a prince albert is a bit different.

Im liking Sebs protest.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1509
    I hope Seb turns up on Question Time next week looking like that.

It’s not so much the argument of whether or not the rule’s required; it just seems an odd hill to die on.  It’s one thing to say “Well, I think it’s a silly rule”, but quite another to say “I simply won’t race if I can’t wear my jewellery”.  

Still, Sir Lewis has form in this area.  When the halo was first proposed he was vocal in opposition, stating that if it was introduced “…then l hope that we will be given the option of not using it because l will not be using it on my car,"

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181/10191032/lewis-hamilton-unimpressed-with-cockpit-halo-design

It was introduced, Hamilton didn’t follow through on his threat, and he was profoundly grateful for it at Monza last year when Max decided to see what F1 cars look like stacked on top of each other.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/58539315
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Whether anyone thinks the rules are a load of crap is immaterial. The rules are clear, yet for some reason Hamster thinks they don't apply to him. Yet he was sure as shit bleating about following the rules at the last race of 2021, though.

Double standards? Come on Lewis, play the game, and then get that POS Merc further up the grid so we can see some close racing.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4868
    edited May 2022
    My take away from it is that as he's one of, or even the only one with such piercings, he's seeing it as a bit personal and a way of legislating his life choices out of the sport. In a way he's equating it to the FIA deciding his haircut, tattoos etc. even though it's only when driving. Perhaps he's digging his heels in now before they start cracking down on other things. 

He's also right, they have bigger fish to fry.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Anywho, body piercings aside, what are everyone's predictions for the weekend? The new track seems like a real handful for the drivers so far. Are Mercedes really back in the mix? 

P2 times show them right in the thick of it, but will they be there still be there come the weekend?

1) George RussellMercedes1:29.938
    2) Charles LeclercFerrari+0.106
    3) Sergio PerezRed Bull+0.212
    4) Lewis HamiltonMercedes+0.241
    5) Fernando AlonsoAlpine+0.434
    6) Lando NorrisMcLaren+0.597
    7) Pierre GaslyAlpha Tauri+0.609
    8) Zhou GuanyuAlfa Romeo+0.922
    9) Esteban OconAlpine+0.923
    10) Kevin MagnussenHaas+0.983
    11) Carlos SainzFerrari+1.026
    12) Daniel RicciardoMcLaren+1.270
    13) Yuki TsunodaAlpha Tauri+1.322
    14) Sebastian VettelAston Martin+1.455
    15) Mick SchumacherHaas+1.649
    16) Lance StrollAston Martin+1.693
    17) Alex AlbonWilliams+1.772
    18) Nicholas LatifiWilliams+2.975
    19) Max VerstappenRed BullNo time set
    20) Valterri BottasAlfa RomeoNo time set
    He's sticking two fingers up to the the FIA. That is all.

Anywho, body piercings aside, what are everyone's predictions for the weekend? The new track seems like a real handful for the drivers so far. Are Mercedes really back in the mix? 

P2 times show them right in the thick of it, but will they be there still be there come the weekend?

Whilst great to see Mercedes back in the mix, is it due to the specific nature of this track or due to changes they have made to the car.  We need so see a couple more races to be sure.

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Cols said:

Back in their day, bits of metal through their face would have been a concern. More than likely it would have been part of the car. 
    Sainz binned his car again. He’s costing Ferrari a fortune.

Anywho, body piercings aside, what are everyone's predictions for the weekend? The new track seems like a real handful for the drivers so far. Are Mercedes really back in the mix? 

While I’d love this to mean that Merc are on top of their problems and back in the title hunt, I fear their good Friday showing is a combination of upgrades and specific circumstances.

The porpoising is as bad as ever, but the speed at which it kicks in has been raised.  It’s a low downforce track, and Merc have brought a new lower-drag rear wing and an updated front wing.

It’s also blisteringly hot in Miami, which will help alleviate the trouble they’ve had building heat in their tyres for a qualifying run.

My bet is for the Ferraris to top qualifying, with the Mercs in with a genuine podium chance.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3175
    tFB Trader
    P3 just finished...Merc porpoising back worse as ever. RB and Ferrari stretching their legs now although Max doesn't look as comfortable as Checo and Charles.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• Good quali last night. Amazing how close the top two teams are given it's a brand new track with a pretty long lap time. Max will be kicking himself badly for "fucking it". 

Hero of the day has to be Bottas though!