The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 7011
    Bit of a poor show all round, and agreed on C4 highlights being the way forward.  

Perez seems to be doing what’s required to keep his seat for another year - finishing comfortably behind Max and comfortably ahead of the others.  Ricciardo, Yuki and Albon aren’t really looking like serious threats.  

Alonso and Sainz, on the other hand…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4830
    edited April 12
    So Alonso confirmed at Aston Martin, where will the other pieces fall??

I'm guessing Merc are deciding between courting Sainz, or preparing Antonelli for F1 next year, they won't necessarily need an experienced head until the new regs in 2026.

Can't see Perez being moved on now as he's started picking up his performance and they don't want a challenger to Max anyway. Sainz could end up in the bottom half of the grid if Mercedes decide against him, and the way things are going, it's not currently a desirable seat anyway.

Interesting times, especially if RB confirm Perez because that's the last big seat, they're never going to put Sainz in there because at Toro Rosso he gave him a tougher time more frequently than Perez can.

Sainz should probably head for Sauber and hope Audi can get off to a good start. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27037
    My guess is Merc will offer Sainz a 1-year deal and he doesn’t want that, esp given their current performance. Audi apparently want him which is a bigger short term risk but good long term potential given Audi generally win everything they enter eventually. The f they can show him massive plans for the 2026 development to kick off on 1 Jan 2025 plus serious engine results in the dyno then I can see him taking that. 

Or he’s looking at McLaren if Red Bull finally get Norris somehow 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The Verstappen camp certainly wouldn’t be keen on Sainz in the second seat - they already vetoed him after Ricciardo jumped ship from Red Bull to Renault.  But Max might be feeling a bit more secure now.

I’m guessing that both Merc and Red Bull weren’t willing to offer Alonso more than a one year ‘seat warmer’ deal.

My guesses (which are usually wrong) would be either:

1.  Sainz to Merc for one year before a big bucks shift to Audi in 2026, or;
    2.  Baby Stroll decides he’s had enough of F1 and moves to hypercars, Sainz takes his seat in an all-Spanish lineup, or;
    3.  Verstappen ragequits Red Bull for Merc, Sainz slots in to RB.

edited April 12
    ^^ I can see 2 being an option TBF, might happen, there's whispers of it already.

I think he'll go Sauber and gamble, might as well punt round in that as a shit Merc and his dad has strong Audi ties by all accounts. Unless he wonders if Merc might be the winners in the new regs, thing is though no one has nailed down the new regs which makes it harder to predict. Lots of variables but until the second Red Bull seat is secured it's all a guessing game!

Rumours around that Sainz has signed with Mercedes..... Interesting 

Boromedic said:
    It would make sense for Merc now from a PR perspective.  Preseason, such a move would have looked like they were settling for Ferrari’s unwanted castoffs.  Now, with Sainz in the form of his life and Hamilton underperforming, it would look like Mercedes have got the better part of the deal.
    Yeah, and maybe put Antonelli in the Williams for a year or so. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 506
    Is it just me or is Daniel Ricardo a waste of a seat? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 621
    edited April 13
    Is it just me or is Daniel Ricardo a waste of a seat? 
    Yep. 
    Boromedic said:
    Yeah, and maybe put Antonelli in the Williams for a year or so. 
    Think they will just stick him in the Mercedes.  The car is so average they can afford mistakes from him in his first year. Williams may want him to replace Sargent but then and again they seem ok having a pay seat and Albon is a driver they will want to keep. 
    Cols said:
    Boromedic said:
    It would make sense for Merc now from a PR perspective.  Preseason, such a move would have looked like they were settling for Ferrari’s unwanted castoffs.  Now, with Sainz in the form of his life and Hamilton underperforming, it would look like Mercedes have got the better part of the deal.
    Problem is the merc seat isn’t a great seat and it’s only going to be for a year or two at the most. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was sauber/audi/(f1 steak breakfast or whatever it’s called this week) that he goes to. They are not far behind Mercedes and Audi will spend big. He’d be the lead driver there to. 
  • Hope the rumours of Sainz to Merc are true, I really rate Sainz and he merits a seat in a strong team.

In other news, great to see Melbourne back as the season opener...

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2891
    I have never fully understood why they have Canada in the midst of the "European" season.  Wouldn't it be more cost effective to have it as part of a North American stint.

I have never fully understood why they have Canada in the midst of the "European" season.  Wouldn't it be more cost effective to have it as part of a North American stint.

Well… it’s had that slot for a long time.  Austin, Las Vegas and Mexico are relatively new additions.  And back when they had a Grand Prix at Indianapolis it was run back to back with Montreal around the same time.

But to answer the question “Why not just lump it in with the other North American races now?” - weather.  

Those races are running in October/November, and Montreal is a bit chilly at that time of year.  In June though, it’s normally pleasantly in the mid-20s.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3166
    tFB Trader
    Now THAT was a Sprint Qualifying!
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Brilliant entertainment! Love seeing drivers really pushed to the limit like that. Shame the Sprint is 4am tomorrow, as I really fancy watching it!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375
    Brilliant entertainment! Love seeing drivers really pushed to the limit like that. Shame the Sprint is 4am tomorrow, as I really fancy watching it!

If you’ve got the Sky F1 channel there’s a rerun of it at around 11am, followed by the race qualis. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27037
    Just caught up with a replay. Absolutey great Q3 and Lewis demonstrating he's still got it in spades when the playing field is levelled. Cracking lap from Lando too. 

Looks like another likely Max rout if it's dry though - what's the forecast for the rest of the weekend?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • boogieman said:
    Brilliant entertainment! Love seeing drivers really pushed to the limit like that. Shame the Sprint is 4am tomorrow, as I really fancy watching it!

If you’ve got the Sky F1 channel there’s a rerun of it at around 11am, followed by the race qualis. 
    Alas, I'm at work for 7am tomorrow so that's a no-go too! Hey ho....
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    I hope it rains! 

It seems like it will be dry tomorrow - but a 40% chance of rain on Sunday morning!

That will do! The 8am start is perfect for me. I'm working all weekend but at the weekends I never get stuck in before 10am, so bacon sarnie and a cuppa tea will be the perfect breakfast to go with the quali and the race.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375
    Well that was kinda interesting, but for all the wrong reasons. Stroll really needs to take up his rumoured tennis career soon.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom