The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyO said:
    Alonso demoted (presumably for brake testing Russell and causing the crash )
    Didn't hit the brakes but lifted off 100m earlier than on any other lap the whole race apparently. Real dickhead move if true...

Wonder if Ferrari are wondering if they've backed the wrong horse - Carlos is looking  as strong if not stronger than Leclerc at the moment! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4534
    TimmyO said:
    Didn't hit the brakes but lifted off 100m earlier than on any other lap the whole race apparently. Real dickhead move if true...

Wonder if Ferrari are wondering if they've backed the wrong horse - Carlos is looking  as strong if not stronger than Leclerc at the moment! 
    Ferrari will be thinking they have two great horses rather than the wrong one
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3158
    edited March 24 tFB Trader
    Thoroughly enjoyed Guenther’s interviews at the end of the race. Certainly wasn’t on my bingo card for the weekend.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

tFB Trader
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7004
    TimmyO said:

That’s really disappointing.  I always had Alonso as a driver who, other faults aside, was very clean in racing.  But this one’s a slam dunk; lifted off early, downshifted, then upshifted and accelerated to the corner.

Alonso does have a tendency to be unpredictable in defence by altering his line each lap.  This was a step too far though.

Hamilton looks like he’s played a blinder by cashing in with a lucrative Ferrari contract just before going into snooze mode on the racetrack.  And Sainz is making sure he’s on every team’s shopping list for next year - absolutely stellar weekend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 620
    Best race for ages.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    Odd - normally I'm the one making apologies for what other folk call a boring race but I found that one quite tedious - very few tyre offsets that resulted in jeopardy for anyone - few chase-downs - I'll take a race with Max galloping away to a dull win but that has action behind any time 
    Red ones are better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26999
    Yeah I thought it was overall quite dull tbh. Apart from Max and George there was very little real action
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    In WEC news, Seb Vettel did some chunky mileage in the Porsche 963 hypercar a couple of days ago.

I'd love to see him at Le Mans. Here's hoping!

https://www.racefans.net/2024/03/26/vettel-completes-porsche-hypercar-test-at-aragon/
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4173
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well, FP2 was an unrepresentative washout and few surprises in FP1 (apart from Stroll being almost 2s slower than Alonso).
    Cols said:
    Well, FP2 was an unrepresentative washout and few surprises in FP1 (apart from Stroll being almost 2s slower than Alonso).
    Stroll presumably spent half the session trying to work out how to brake 100m and end up faster through the next corner... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Hope the race throws up some surprises again. Alonso, the McLarens and Mercs looked to have some decent pace in the qualies.  
    Cols said:
    Stroll presumably spent half the session trying to work out how to brake 100m and end up faster through the next corner... 
    Well, he closed the gap to Fernando impressively overnight, to a mere 0.8s deficit by the time Q1 was done.

Stellar effort by Perez to make Verstappen work a bit for the pole slot.  For tomorrow, I’m hoping for rain and the two Red Bulls to take each other off on lap one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    This season is shaping up to be just as tedious as last year  :/  Not sure how many more DRS overtakes I can watch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    bobblehat said:
    This season is shaping up to be just as tedious as last year  :/  Not sure how many more DRS overtakes I can watch.
    It's not great when essentially a driver thinks either: 
    A.  I'm faster, but not fast enough to pass, so I'll stay back a bit further to look after my tyres. 

B:  I'm fast enough to pass, so I'll wait for the DRS zone and use all of my energy and DRS so that I'm past before the next corner, and then drive away with my significant advantage.

Later in the race that can change, or if it's strategically important to get past, but the cars can follow more closely (albeit not that much more closely) and yet the DRS zones and efficacy have not been changed much anywhere. 

Removing a zone completely just puts all the passing opportunity at the one remaining.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    I love Suzuka, it’s an incredible track and a fabulous place for F1 cars to show off. I’m not going to pay for races this season, so it’s all about the C4 highlights. 

Except I caught the results on the news accidentally and rather than being disappointed, I was actually relieved i didn’t need to watch it. That kinda sums up this this year for me :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    I am so glad I recorded this race and watched it at a civilised hour.  Wasting three hours sleep would have been a big mistake.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    tFB Trader
    Obviously, I'm loving the RB/Max dominance again this year BUT I have to admit I'm more excited by the Ferrari vs McLaren fight over anything else. Nail it down further? Sure...it's the Sainz vs Norris battle that's really got my attention. I'm a big fan of both drivers so watching them duke it out is brilliant.
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk