Glastonbury via armchair 2023

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23087
    Big billboard advertising round these parts for the GNR and Elton sets on iPlayer. Not ones advertising in advance, but using the past tense.

Not sure why the Beeb would invest in this expensive advertising for something they don’t get any revenue from, or am I missing something…?
    I guess it's good to get people watching iPlayer because they may find other stuff to watch on iPlayer... it doesn't generate income as such but it must translate into.... something?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17668
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Big billboard advertising round these parts for the GNR and Elton sets on iPlayer. Not ones advertising in advance, but using the past tense.

Not sure why the Beeb would invest in this expensive advertising for something they don’t get any revenue from, or am I missing something…?
    I guess it's good to get people watching iPlayer because they may find other stuff to watch on iPlayer... it doesn't generate income as such but it must translate into.... something?

If they didn't want ratings they wouldn't actually bother putting anything on the TV. 

They are required to "inform, educate and entertain" as part of their charter and to do that they have to make sure people are watching.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23087
    ...I think that's probably what I was trying to say.  Ineffectively.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6731
    edited June 2023
    Just caught up with the Billy Nomates set from yesterday (Fri), and I thought she was fucking amazing.
    Just saw one track of her now. Fucking excellent, I just wish she had a band. 

EDIT just saw her playing guitar too. 
  • jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 66
    Favorite so far here was The War on Drugs. Haven’t seen someone kick an amp over in quite a while. 
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 338
    edited June 2023
    Just been watching Caroline Polachek 

What an incredible singer and a great performer. It's weird she isn't more famous.
    The album is number 2 on the Metacritic album of the year list, so congratulations on your good taste and willingness to step out of your comfort zone 

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/score/metascore/year/filtered
    tFB Trader
    Vintage65 said:

What an incredible singer and a great performer. It's weird she isn't more famous.
    The album is number 2 on the Metacritic album of the year list, so congratulations on your good taste and willingness to step out of your comfort zone 

I've been listening to her for years.

She is beloved of critics but she was very far down the bill which is what I was referring to.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6527
    Vintage65 said:

I've never heard of metacritic. Or Caroline Polachek.

I know my personal frame of reference isn't necessarily representative of the world as a whole, but I don't think it would be too risky to make the claim that she isn't particularly famous.

edited June 2023
    Vintage65 said:

I've been listening to her for years.

She is beloved of critics but she was very far down the bill which is what I was referring to.
    She clashed with Elton John and some of the audience who actually turned up left early to secure a space in the Pyramid field. 8pm should have been a good spot at Woodsies, and even QOTSA started off with a smaller crowd than they ended up with. Turnstile played much earlier last year (6.30pm) and their tent was overflowing.

However, I do agree that there should have been more interest as she is a trendsetter, and given the quality of her work where she goes others will follow.
    edited June 2023
    Vintage65 said:

I've never heard of metacritic. Or Caroline Polachek.

I know my personal frame of reference isn't necessarily representative of the world as a whole, but I don't think it would be too risky to make the claim that she isn't particularly famous.
    Metacritic average out the review scores from critics and listeners, and I use it find stuff that I wouldn't ordinarily listen to, e.g. Lankum, Wednesday, and The Murder Capital. It works for films too.

Caroline Polachek is on the avant-garde side of pop music and she collaborates with some trendy London music producers, and I suppose that is why the critics like here.

PS The Murder Capital's live Glastonbury set was good, better than the album IMO.
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    edited June 2023
    Not really into much of what was on show but here’s my pennies worth
    Qotsa…..excellent,really good and professional 
    Foo,s , bit meh for me
    GnRs..not my bag but enjoyed Slash, axl was poor
    Nova twins … really good great young talent
    The Hu…great, really different ( to us )heavy Mongolian folk music with traditional instruments.
    Generation Sex, great stuff
     couldn’t find footage of the Damned anywhere, did they play.?
    For the rest it still reminds me of the old Radio 1 roadshow,bit crap
    Not sure who the icons will be in five + years time .

• GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    CAT STEVENS' set at Glastonbury was a triumph. What a Legend.

Not long after I was walking past his superstar Caravan at Glasto and saw him outside looking quite emotional. I said "You alright Cat?"

He just shook his head pointed at his Caravan  and replied "Awning has Broken"……

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Watching more bits. 
    Enjoying Kelis. Lots of energy and groove. 
    Had a look at Caroline Polachek, probably not for me but interesting.
    The War on Drugs are just so dreary, reminded me of Coldplay and Bruce Springsteen who I also find dreary. 
    The HU whom I already have some familiarity with. They played Download and could easily play Cambridge folk festival. They are going to have a career playing every festival for the next thirty years. 
    Generation Sex are ageing rock stars doing a pub set. But a fine, fine pub set.
    Barrington Levy on now, but more home turf for me and some nice guitar work. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6115
    GNR were soooo poor.

As others have said, there was no chemistry there.  Axl needs to stop running around and concentrate more on his singing. He still hasn't cottoned on to how trite some of his moves and schtick are.
    Slash's guitar sound (listening to it on TV, at least) was particularly unforgiving, and some of the lead lines sounded a bit clunky and misfiring. Duff had the look on his face I have when I know a gig is going south and all I can do is ride it out until I can get off stage. 
    Agree. I don’t understand the praise they get, it’s like Stan Lee wrote an LA rock band for Marvel Universe. Cartoon versions of rock ‘n roll. And so few decent songs.
  • Utterly magnificent… the breakdown then re-entry is a magical, euphoric moment

https://youtu.be/HmHzSxaifbU
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2023
    Watching more bits. 
    Enjoying Kelis. Lots of energy and groove. 
    Had a look at Caroline Polachek, probably not for me but interesting.
    The War on Drugs are just so dreary, reminded me of Coldplay and Bruce Springsteen who I also find dreary. 
    The HU whom I already have some familiarity with. They played Download and could easily play Cambridge folk festival. They are going to have a career playing every festival for the next thirty years. 
    Generation Sex are ageing rock stars doing a pub set. But a fine, fine pub set.
    Barrington Levy on now, but more home turf for me and some nice guitar work. 
    If you are anything like me then you are probably welded to music that is centred around stringed instruments, and it's not easy to force yourself out of the comfort zone, but it's something I do regulary and I persevere until I can make sense of whatever it is I am listening to. I was brought up around classical and jazz music from an young age and I hated it at the time, however it probably set me on a path to eclecticism.
    tFB Trader
    I like The War on Drugs albums but the set was boring and it might be that I listen to too much pop music but I don't get why bands feel they are allowed to look like they just rolled out of bed and make no attempt to entertain.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I like The War on Drugs albums but the set was boring and it might be that I listen to too much pop music but I don't get why bands feel they are allowed to look like they just rolled out of bed and make no attempt to entertain.
    One of my favourite bands, but they need to try something different. Do you like former WOD member Kurt Vile's solo stuff?
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1370
    edited July 2023
    Vintage65 said:
    One of my favourite bands, but they need to try something different. Do you like former WOD member Kurt Vile's solo stuff?
    I found the WOD guitarist bloke greatly annoying. Was there a real need to change guitar for every single song - with no discernible difference in sound. Much like Frusciante - why make life difficult - get a switching system for f*cksakes. He's there stamping on pedals left right and centre...good grief. The very epitome of guitar nerd-ery at it's finest. 

More thoughts from the armchair.

Blondie were strong - Deborah Harry in astonishingly good voice - but man those guitars were loud - I guess that's what a Soldano sounds like at full pelt. And 3 S*ex Pistols were on stage at Glastonbury this year!

Pretenders (with the amazing Chrissie Hynde and band) turned in what in any other year would have been the set of the festival. Unfortunately Rick Astley and Blossoms had other ideas. I must have watched that Smiths set they did a fair few times on iPlayer by now. Boy With The Thorn in his Side followed immediately by Girlfriend in a Coma. Wow... yes they were using tracks at times - but it took me a few views to figure that out. It was done extremely well.

I skipped the 3 big headliners after quick views. Axl's voice is completely shot - much like Bon Jovi's. Without strong vocals... you're lost at sea (and yet Billy Idol was superb!). Quite why they haven't dropped the keys down a tone -? And going on to do a 3 hour set ? Your guess is as good as mine.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    After seeing gnr last night it’s even more stark how appalling the sound engineering for their Glastonbury gig was. Not sure if it was the tv or the stage mixing but it seemed to only bring out the shit elements - last night everything was so much more balanced (occasionally slash seemed too quiet) and it seemed to lessen the effect of Axl’s need to adapt his voice. 
    Mind you I don’t think anyone’s voice at 61 is quite the same as it was in their 20s , particularly when you’ve hammered your vocal cords like he has.