Glastonbury via armchair 2023

What's Hot
1192021222325»

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793
    Offset said:
    I'll buck the trend here.  I'll look forward to seeing Coldplay - they're a phenomenal live act by all accounts and I still adore their first two albums from start to finish.
    I've never understood all the bitching and moaning about Coldplay - they are just the indie rock band in the early 2000s best positioned to fill a gap in the market and the material to do it.

They are a bit like U2, they have some great songs, they keep a helluva lot of people in jobs, they help pump money into the industry... and .. some people don't like them?  Oh boo hoo.

Both Bono and Martin could do with being a bit less mouthy at times - but they cannot be blamed for thinking people want to hear what they have to say when they get microphones shoved in their faces wherever they go.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22971
    Philly_Q said:
    Well I found out this morning that SZA is pronounced Scissor.  Unless the radio announcers had no more idea than I did.
    Yup - that surprised me at the Brits.

Mind you apparently "Chvrches" aren't supposed to be pronounced "ch-ver-ches" and I do that.
    I'd guessed that one, but I do still pronounce it "ch-ver-ches" in my head.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited March 14
    I’ve never understood why forums have so much venom when it comes to Coldplay and U2 for that matter.
    Both are still outstanding live and studio bands.
    Coldplay imo have done one bad breakup album but other than that have been consistently excellent and always outstanding live.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4143
    This year's lineup looks like it's for people who only own best-of albums. 

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9810
    Which i guess is pretty much how a lot of people listen to their music these days, via playlists and "this is XX artist" selections on Spotify?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    Which i guess is pretty much how a lot of people listen to their music these days, via playlists and "this is XX artist" selections on Spotify?
    Yeah agree and it makes me mad to see this and the record buying kids of today just buying to collect but never playing Just listening on Spotty shit.
    edited March 14
    Yeah agree and it makes me mad to see this and the record buying kids of today just buying to collect but never playing Just listening on Spotty shit.
    It's the same music whether you play an LP, CD or cassette or listen to "Spotty shit".  And how do you know they're "buying to collect"?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1354
    edited March 14
    Anybody else picking up a Cat Steven's Wild World thing on SZA's Kill Bill ? 
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    That's about as valid a criticism of them as calling people who buy every album of every band they like "crazy boring fuckers" i.e. not very...

The Irony of course is that of the four headliners, only Shania has a greatest hits.

Spotify is fucking brilliant.

For young people, it levels music off - so they put together playlists mixing new stuff of all kinds with classics that their parents like, or just songs they heard and liked.

It's a wonderful way to look at and experience music.

I'm not saying the old "buy an album, read the notes, put the needle on, leave your door open because people are decent, fish and chips in real newspaper..." way of consuming music isn't wonderful as well BTW.

I just have room in my life for both, and no room for criticising young people for having broad tastes in music and listening to it on the devices they happen to already own...
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6503
    edited March 14
    I’m surprised that the takeaway for some is “What a boring lineup: Coldplay AGAIN…” not “Two young, female headliners instead of some hoary old rockers..HOORAY!”

Now, I’d take hoary old rock over cutting edge pop-dance-RnB any day, but I’d never stand here and tell you it’s what Glasto is crying out for in 2024.

edited March 14
    I’m surprised that the takeaway for some is “What a boring lineup: Coldplay AGAIN…” not “Two young, female headliners instead of some hoary old rockers..HOORAY!”

Now, I’d take hoary old rock over cutting edge pop-dance-RnB any day, but I’d never stand here and tell you it’s what Glasto is crying out for in 2024.
    There's no point in pretending we're excited about something when we're not.

(Caveat:  I have very little interest in Glasto anyway.  They've never had a lineup which has made me want to attend.)
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6503
    Philly_Q said:

(Caveat:  I have very little interest in Glasto anyway.  I've never had any interest in attending.)
    I’m not saying be excited; I’m just saying why can’t we acknowledge this isn’t as tired a lineup as some would lead us to believe.

Philly_Q said:

(Caveat:  I have very little interest in Glasto anyway.  I've never had any interest in attending.)
    I’m not saying be excited; I’m just saying why can’t we acknowledge this isn’t as tired a lineup as some would lead us to believe.

I think it's bluddy marvellous that Emily Eavis has kept her promise and we have 3 out of 4 female headliners this year.

Also other stage has some fantastic rock acts on.

That new all-girl indie rock band are there... forget their name ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:

(Caveat:  I have very little interest in Glasto anyway.  They've never had a lineup which has made me want to attend.)
    I've always had you down as more of a Download guy?
    edited March 14
    Philly_Q said:

I've always had you down as more of a Download guy?
    Yes I would be, certainly, if festivals were my kind of thing.  I went a couple of times in the '80s when it was still called Monsters of Rock.
    edited March 14
    Philly_Q said:

Fair point, I misunderstood.  I thought you were talking specifically about the FretBoard reaction (which is what you'd expect, really) as opposed to the wider world's - which does seem to be a bit "underwhelmed".
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Found Steel Pulse and Corrine Bailey Rae deep down the list. There you go, I'd be occupied for two hours of the weekend.
    I didn't know the name SEVENTEEN but they will be the first K pop act at the festival. That's interesting. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14304
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    I'll buck the trend here.  I'll look forward to seeing Coldplay - they're a phenomenal live act by all accounts and I still adore their first two albums from start to finish.
    I've never understood all the bitching and moaning about Coldplay - they are just the indie rock band in the early 2000s best positioned to fill a gap in the market and the material to do it.

They are a bit like U2, they have some great songs, they keep a helluva lot of people in jobs, they help pump money into the industry... and .. some people don't like them?  Oh boo hoo.

Both Bono and Martin could do with being a bit less mouthy at times - but they cannot be blamed for thinking people want to hear what they have to say when they get microphones shoved in their faces wherever they go.
    I can't argue with the popularity of Coldplay - But I find them boring and as limp as lettuce - Each to their own I know - I like U2 and feel they have offered something fresh but Coldplay I just find so wishy washy and bland 
    Offset said:

I can't argue with the popularity of Coldplay - But I find them boring and as limp as lettuce - Each to their own I know - I like U2 and feel they have offered something fresh but Coldplay I just find so wishy washy and bland 
    Yeah but there are probably a load of things you like I think are shite as well, which is right and proper of course - world would be very boring if we all liked the same stuff.

It's totally cool if people don't like any band - nobody is obliged to LIKE anything - it's the constant moaning about Coldplay that grates.

Especially given it's their very inoffensiveness that people seem to find offensive - which is a bit odd, it's like wanting to beat up Gandhi for not wanting a fight.