I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader
    Am I the only one mentally singing:

"DANGER WANK DO-DO DO-DO DO-DO"
    To the tune of Danger Mouse.

Well, this forum went downhill pretty fast.  :D
    We only built this site to make wank jokes. 
    The guitar thing is just a front. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And I played right into your ha- Let me rephrase that.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I don't go near a plectrum with my acoustic guitars! 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited August 2013
    VimFuego said:
    fecking hell bert, if he had the action any lower those pick marks would be on the back X_X
    you being serious ?   that action looks nearly 10mm approaching 12th...............  mine are about 3 or 4  at the 12th open stringed
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    You bought a guitar without a pick guard?

Although there may be some (arguable) tone implications to fitting one, I think you might see the merits. I have seen clear plastic options which don't obstruct the overall appearance but with some damage already evident they will only offer protection against further damage.

Complete with fitting and removal instructions and allegedly without damage (that might not apply since your finish is already damaged).

Does that help?

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2013

Glen Hansard's Martin freaks me out slightly..

• bertie said:
    VimFuego said:
    fecking hell bert, if he had the action any lower those pick marks would be on the back X_X
    you being serious ?   that action looks nearly 10mm approaching 12th...............  mine are about 3 or 4  at the 12th open stringed

Action is 3mm at the 12th fret, low E. :)
  • ESBlonde said:
    You bought a guitar without a pick guard?

Although there may be some (arguable) tone implications to fitting one, I think you might see the merits. I have seen clear plastic options which don't obstruct the overall appearance but with some damage already evident they will only offer protection against further damage.

Complete with fitting and removal instructions and allegedly without damage (that might not apply since your finish is already damaged).

Does that help?

Cheers, people keep recommending this kind of thing to me but I feel strangely intransigent! Allegedly cedar wears so much and then you are left with the hard bits of the grain which do not wear anywhere near as quickly. This causes a ridged effect which my guitar indeed displays.

I noticed that the influences on my percussive guitar style (e.g. Nuno Bettencourt, Nick Harper, SRV) all have guitars with spectacular amounts of wear on them so I should have seen it coming really....! :-S
    Action is 3mm at the 12th fret, low E. :)
    crikey it doesnt look it.......  :)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    Damien Rice & John Butler's guitars are looking similarly fecked these days too. I wouldn't worry :)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • See? Wrecked acoustic guitars are the new acoustic guitars, wait until Fender realises this.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Have a lol.

Relic acoustics, it's got to happen b
  • I never understood flailing from the elbow when playing guitar. How the hell can you use any finesse, getting the pick to play the right string(s) when you're thumping in that manner?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I never understood flailing from the elbow when playing guitar. How the hell can you use any finesse, getting the pick to play the right string(s) when you're thumping in that manner?

In my case the wear comes from times when I am hitting the strings in a very percussive manner, and generally going for a vibe rather than a melody line, if you see what I mean. I am controlled when I play nicey-nice chords and melody lines.

And I flail from the wrist, I'll have you know!

In my case the wear comes from times when I am hitting the strings in a very percussive manner, and generally going for a vibe rather than a melody line, if you see what I mean. I am controlled when I play nicey-nice chords and melody lines.

And I flail from the wrist, I'll have you know!
    all in the wrist action. cool. It just looked as if you'd been flailing from the elbow. sorry.

btw do you apply different thumb pressure to keep the pick parallel to the treble strings compared to when it is picking the bass strings? my pick tends to rotate a little around the last joint of my index finger in order to achieve that.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • A casual inspection of my picks would suggest that they are never parallel to the strings, establishing beyond all doubt my membership of the Enraged Chimpanzee Guitar Method. I don't think I have different thumb pressure across different strings though.
    edited August 2013
    I never understood flailing from the elbow when playing guitar. How the hell can you use any finesse, getting the pick to play the right string(s) when you're thumping in that manner?
    some acoustic strumming - you know where you play ALL the strings, actually requires a tightly controlled combination of elbow flailing and wrist action -   playing with wrist action alone just wouldnt get the required volume/tone
  • Do you play a lot of Richie Havens stuff?
  • alcxamalcxam Frets: 112
    Hmmmm... I don't think cedar is good top choice for your playing style...