Recommendations for acoustics

What's Hot
Hello to you.

Please could you recommend me some acoustic guitars to look at? I am mostly an electric player , with a little bit of classical, but need a steel string acoustic, with some type of pickup, for a run of gigs I’ve got coming up .

My primary concerns are playability, cost and availability.

I’m thinking, sort of, second hand Taylor 214 type of money, around £700ish? Lower would be better.
I don’t care if it’s got a cutaway or not.

All the Taylor’s I’ve ever played have been pretty slick. Had a go on a students gs mini today and that was fine ( although at 6’2” it might look a little small on me). 

I have no idea what’s good, other than the Taylor’s . Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited June 2023
    for the criteria you've mentioned  -  you cant really do much better that what you've already though of - they (and Yamaha) are pretty much the SM58 of  gigging/band acoustics  (big assumption in there that you want it for "band" type music )

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    personally,i think you can do much better.. eastman, furch, auden, recording king would be some of brands i think you should check out.
    woody said:
    personally,i think you can do much better.. eastman, furch, auden, recording king would be some of brands i think you should check out.
    Id totally (and normally) agree if it was just "recommend me an acoustic for £700"    but with precise regard to the OP's specific  criteria ;-

Mainly plays electric
    plays in a band
    wants it for gigging
    widely available

- Id disagree 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 406
    Takamine?

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Larrivee (Only joking)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Larrivee (Only joking)
    have you tried one ?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Personally I really don't like the taylor pickup system, it never sounds good to me. For the sort of price you are looking at I bought a PRS acoustic. Made to a high standard in China it has all the right bits, ebony board, solid spruce top, slimmish neck and plays really well. The guitar uses a very light bracing system and it's got a good sound plugged in and unplugged. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    Taylor.   They have built a brand for people in your position.  I have never owned one but have friends who do, they love em as they do exactly what it says on the tin. So to speak
    You can always buy one without their pickup system and install an other brand etc etc
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    bertie said:
    woody said:
    Id totally (and normally) agree if it was just "recommend me an acoustic for £700"    but with precise regard to the OP's specific  criteria ;-

Mainly plays electric
    plays in a band
    wants it for gigging
    widely available

- Id disagree 
    bertie said:
    woody said:

Mainly plays electric
    plays in a band
    wants it for gigging
    widely available

- Id disagree 
    Good point.I still think its very worthwhile trying the alternatives though if only for tonal reasons..Only the op can decide on the tonal vs playability factor, assuming the taylor does play better of course.
  • Thanks, chaps. I'll add PRS to the guitars I'm looking at. This will be a plugged in through the PA, backing other people type of affair, so I'm not massively worried about tone per say, as I'm not under close scrutiny. Within budget and playability is more important. If it's an earner, I'll invest in something else in the future.  
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    edited June 2023
    Yamaha LL16are LL6 or LS6ARE. I've had a LL6 and LL16 in the past and they were both as playable as my old Taylor 414ce. The Taylor 110ce would make a good gig guitar. Also, a left field choice would be a used Korean made Epiphone EJ200 and stick a LR Baggs M1 in it, I had one back in the day and the one I had was very easy to play, much like an electric.
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 340
    I've played some nice Taylors and some mediocre ones. They do make some great guitars, but there are others who make better 'bang for your buck' models. I'd definitely consider pre-owned Yamaha, Auden and Eastman. Furch too, if you can push your budget a bit.
    Ive been in "normal"  cover bands, and we had choons that needed an acoustic, of all the ones Ive owned (Taylor 614, Brook,  Furch)  its the Taylor Id choose in that scenario
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 260
    To throw another brand in the mix, look out for a mid to late 90’s Takemine in the used market places, great value guitars if you can find one.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5498
    As always, with acoustics you absolutely, positively have to play the actual instrument. 

You will undoubtedly get a better acoustic  instrument from the likes of Furch for the same money - the 2-series Taylors are competent but uninspiring, and (if new) are overpriced to buggery. Way too much for what is after all just a laminated back and sides guitar not in the same class as any half-decent all-solid instrument.

On the other hand, you are not looking for a great acoustic instrument, you simply want something that will do those gigs for you competently and reliably, and perhaps something which will be easy to adjust to as an electric player. Taylor makes very good sense from this point of view.

Taylor pickups are not very well regarded, but make your own mind up about that. Look also at Furch, Yamaha, Takamine, and anything else that crops up in the price range,. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27137
    I don’t love them as pure acoustic guitars but my old Taylor 214 was a great gigging guitar. Mine was an early solid-wood “Non-e” model with a Baggs M1A fitted 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I don’t love them as pure acoustic guitars but my old Taylor 214 was a great gigging guitar.  
    and that my friend,  is the crux of all that has come before 

:) 
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Epiphone “inspired by Gibson” stuff is pretty good, widely available and should be around that budget.

And I like the aforementioned Yamaha recommendations.

For electronics specifically, I think Takamine is known for that specialty 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3685
    edited July 2023
    Yamaha APX 600 or 700  or an FGX.

Loads of them around,  Reliable gigging guitars.  Try a few to find the keeper.

Some guitars (inc. Yamaha LL/LS) have pickups but no onboard controls.. so you might want to get one you can adjust live or you will need some pedals/floor box.
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    Having played guitars for decades but never been in a band, or gigged, what makes a good gigging guitar? Simply it's sound in the mix of other instruments, or is there more to it?