Recommendations for acoustics

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Pjon said:
    Having played guitars for decades but never been in a band, or gigged, what makes a good gigging guitar? Simply it's sound in the mix of other instruments, or is there more to it?
    there's "gigging"  and theres "gigging"

strapped round yer neck, for  "half a dozen" songs in a bands setlist

or

sat down, doing a proper acoustic thing  (genre of choice)

for me, that's two separate criteria to meet, and two different type of acoustic 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 593
    edited July 2023
    Thanks for the advice, chaps. I went down to coda music during the week and tried out a fair few, but ended up buying a secondhand Taylor 314ce. I’ll be using it in a mostly plugged in fashion for gigs. It plays very well.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Solid sapele, right? Good choice imo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Solid sapele, right? Good choice imo
    Um, like the heathen that I am, I have no idea! Sorry ! I remember something about mahogany? But , then again , I played through a lot of guitars that day. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5499
    Taylor 314 is an excellent choice, especially used as new they are a bit pricey. And yes, Sapele under Sitka.. 
    You did it the right way then, with your ears and fingers. Thanks Tannin. 
    Sapele is great and vastly underrated imo. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    I had an earlier 312CE a long time ago - great guitar, which I shouldn’t have sold but got talked out of by a friend who then traded it away without giving me the option of buying it back. (Grrrr...) Mine had the Fishman electrics which I added a Rare Earth soundhole pickup to.

Sapele is often considered a ‘mahogany substitute’ because it looks similar, but is in no way inferior. There’s far too much snobbery about only using the traditional mahogany and rosewood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I had an earlier 312CE a long time ago - great guitar, which I shouldn’t have sold but got talked out of by a friend who then traded it away without giving me the option of buying it back. (Grrrr...) Mine had the Fishman electrics which I added a Rare Earth soundhole pickup to.

Sapele is often considered a ‘mahogany substitute’ because it looks similar, but is in no way inferior. There’s far too much snobbery about only using the traditional mahogany and rosewood.
    I find mahogany is really rich in the mids, maybe more so than sapele. But sapele is VERY well balanced from bass to miss to trebles. And it has a sparkle in the trebles. It's probably my favourite to tonewood tbh and totally agree with you
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7349
    ICBM said:

Absolutely agree.  When I think about all the nicely grained wide boards of Sapele that were used to face the plywood for all those cardboard honeycombed lightweight internal doors back through the 70s, 80s, 90s and probably up to the present day it's a shame that it wasn't used much more readily as a mahogany substitute in acoustic and electric guitar builds.  Had it been used so readily for guitars, however, perhaps we would have already seen Sapele stocks almost depleted.
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 798
    I'm pretty much sold on Eastman and have three. I've owned Martins, Taylors, Gibsons, and Larrivees at twice or even three times the price, and I just can't see much point in even looking at them now. Eastman seems to do what they all do as well as if not better.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    Timcito said:
    I'm pretty much sold on Eastman and have three. I've owned Martins, Taylors, Gibsons, and Larrivees at twice or even three times the price, and I just can't see much point in even looking at them now. Eastman seems to do what they all do as well as if not better.
    Which ones do you have? I have an E10-00. It's a great guitar.
    I've really got to try these Eastman guitars but has to be something really special to trump Larrivee for me
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    I've really got to try these Eastman guitars but has to be something really special to trump Larrivee for me
    I don't think they are as good guitars as Larry's.

The Eastman E1/2 model instruments for about £500-600 are a good all solid guitars in that price range.  
    No worries, thanks

I've not ventured into a shop for a while now and trying to keep it that way :)
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5499
    ^ It's been weeks!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @Tannin he's keeping out of shops cos he's saving for my Martin OM28 Re-imagined

=) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 798
    Timcito said:
    Which ones do you have? I have an E10-00. It's a great guitar.
    I have an E100 Ltd, which is a 12-fretter in Adirondack spruce and sapele, an E2 OM in cedar and sapele, and an E20 OM in Adirondack spruce and rosewood. Each one is a joy to play.
  • dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44
    fender paramount , best guitar for under £700
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6171
    ^ Was just watching the Alamo Music video on those. Seem to be overlooked in the USA, too.