Poopot's Cover Challenge #24 - the letter K

13»

Comments

• I've sent in another one.  I started it ages ago when it was the only K song I could think of (it really is a tough letter), but set it aside as the vocal is a bit beyond me.  But I thought I'd finish it off as a tribute of sorts to Robbie Robertson as it has one of my favourite solos by him and it was a nice one to learn.  I also got to use my Rick Danko inspired fretless to actually play a Rick Danko bassline, which was nice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've just tried my "back up plan" entry of recording an acoustic song however, it sounds absolutely atrocious therefore I really don't want to share that. K is a very hard letter, I only found 3 songs in my Spotify Liked tracks beginning with K that I liked enough. I had to abandon Killer Queen as I couldn't reach the "drive you willllld" bit but if I lowered it so I could, the rest was too low. Oh and the guitar parts were too hard for me, i'm not a very clean precise player.
    Send it in.

I've just quickly tracked some vocals for my entry and it's a steaming pile of junk. Not turned out to be what I had in mind but I'm going to see if I can make the drums more interesting then just put it in the list.

@stratnan3142 and @idiotwind in the playlist
  • And I've added one from me to the playlist

Apologies for the high A note, the scrappy production and the lazy mastering.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9719
    edited September 2023
    I've just tried my "back up plan" entry of recording an acoustic song however, it sounds absolutely atrocious therefore I really don't want to share that. K is a very hard letter, I only found 3 songs in my Spotify Liked tracks beginning with K that I liked enough. I had to abandon Killer Queen as I couldn't reach the "drive you willllld" bit but if I lowered it so I could, the rest was too low. Oh and the guitar parts were too hard for me, i'm not a very clean precise player.
    Send it in.
    I redid it from scratch as yesterday's effort was honestly woeful, sent it in. Can't say I've enjoyed recording it though to be honest - recording acoustic guitars always seems a really painful experience. I have learnt that the acoustic preamp DI thing that I thought would be useful to doubletrack is a pile of absolute hissy junk also. 

I'm not really very happy with it but I'm not going to be able to do anything else now unfortunately. It feels very cheesy and makes me sound a lot older than I am I think. I'm also not as good at finger picking chords as I thought I was upon hearing it back lol

Oh well, L has to be a better letter right?

Here it is pending its upload to the communal soundcloud:

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6829
    edited September 2023
    Have sent my entry in - thanks for the extended deadline!

Had to use MIDI drum track as I couldnt get to play it live well enough in the timeframe.

Also used a MIDI bassline - but rumours are that Nicky Sixx has done the same

And current Vince Neil vocals were my benchmark

https://soundcloud.com/user-703938053-641465774/motley-crue-kickstart-my-heart-mrkb/s-n8HvteS7pkp?si=d470beb2c2ed4dd59d4c37b2e84b0cea&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Thanks @mrkb ;

I'm away for the weekend with no laptop so I'll probably upload on Sunday evening then close off of and start the voting. Any late entries/tweaks up to them are welcome
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6829
    Thanks @mrkb ;

I'm away for the weekend with no laptop so I'll probably upload on Sunday evening then close off of and start the voting. Any late entries/tweaks up to them are welcome
    No problem, have added link to my personal soundcloud for now, so people can "enjoy" it.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Good idea Mrkb, I've done the same for the one I sent in
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    I will take that second extension @flying_pie as due to psychotic neighbours I still have a bit to go with mine and doubt it will be ready for 11:30 tonight. Will easily have it wrapped up by Sunday evening.
    Sent mine in
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    @IMC1980 it's not in my inbox or junk. Can you send it again please?
    Resent @flying_pie - that is weird, there is no record of both emails I sent this afternoon! 
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    @IMC1980 @mrkb and @thecolourbox in the playlist and that's a wrap

entries closed