Strymon El Capistan V2

What's Hot
NickBNickB Frets: 241
I am looking to change up my delay pedal and like the idea of the El Cap V2 as it has a spring reverb emulation. Can the reverb be always on even when the delay is off?
Thanks
Nick
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 366
    I guess you could do that with presets
  • NickBNickB Frets: 241
    DoctorX said:
    I guess you could do that with presets
    Presets? I thought it was more of a WYSIWYG pedal… hmmm colour me intrigued 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    V2 has midi control over everything. 

V1 or V1.5 can have 1 preset accessed by an external favourite switch (sold seperate). 

So you could have just reverb as your "favourite" then wysiwyg for the main delay 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    sgosden said:
    V2 has midi control over everything. 

V1 or V1.5 can have 1 preset accessed by an external favourite switch (sold seperate). 

So you could have just reverb as your "favourite" then wysiwyg for the main delay 
    Thank you. That’s helpful! 
  • rickd2112arickd2112a Frets: 29
    edited July 2023
    I have the v1 El Cap. Not much changed in the v2 - they added midi and bought the reverb control on the panel as a primary control.

To answer your question - no you can't use the reverb alone.

The reverb is actually on the delay repeats and not on the clean signal so you have to have the delay activated in order to get the reverb effect. El Cap isn't a Delay & Reverb pedal.

Even then, if you're looking for a standard reverb, El Cap will be too subtle. I use a Boss RV6 for main reverb and have El Cap for delay.

You may be able to set delay to min and ramp up the reverb to get an approximation of a standard reverb - I've not tried that.

Hope that makes sense.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3471
    edited July 2023

The reverb is actually on the delay repeats and not on the clean signal so you have to have the delay activated in order to get the reverb effect. El Cap isn't a Delay & Reverb pedal.

Even then, if you're looking for a standard reverb, El Cap will be too subtle. I use a Boss RV6 for main reverb and have El Cap for delay.

You may be able to set delay to min and ramp up the reverb to get an approximation of a standard reverb - I've not tried that.

Hope that makes sense.

Weird, I'm sure I managed to turned off delays and just had a spring reverb going on my old v2 and it sounded okay, like a normal spring reverb. I had it a while ago now though. Not the best spring reverb I've ever used but it was usable.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

but you can set the delay time to minimal so it acts as a tiny pre delay ... pretty sure I used to do this...
    I have the v1 El Cap. Not much changed in the v2 - they added midi and bought the reverb control on the panel as a primary control.

Hope that makes sense.
    Thank you that's good to know too. Also thinking about it. What am I achieving over and above the HX Stomp?
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3471
    edited July 2023
    NickB said:

Hope that makes sense.
    Thank you that's good to know too. Also thinking about it. What am I achieving over and above the HX Stomp?
    It's all subjective, but I have the DL4 MkII and I think the El Cap does a better Tape delay impression EDIT: a better tape delay sound for MY needs. That's not knocking the DL4 MkII (Or Helix delays), they're amazing! For some, that different might seem negligible, but not for me. I love both for different reasons.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    I have the El Cap (V1) and a Flint and the reverb on the Flint is much better than the reverb on the El Cap, the El Cap reverb remains off.

• handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1006
    Just to clarify, on the V2 you can use the reverb alone…but not when the pedal is bypassed. 

If you set the delay mix to minimum and adjust the spring reverb you be using the spring reverb ‘alone’ without any delay sounds at all. 

If you have a midi switcher you could certainly have a preset that’s just spring reverb and then another that’s just delay and then another with both. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you. I was hoping that it could have the same functionality as the Nux Atlantic
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    edited July 2023
    Yeah the v1.0 and v1.5 (what we all used to refer to as the 'V2') has the reverb mix BEFORE the effects mix, so you're kind of setting the relative amount of reverb to the delay sound, and then have control of the overall mix off the two effects combined. You can't just have reverb.

BUT as others have said, you can set a really nice subtle and low-mixed doubling/delay effect (2-3 repeats at around 200ms off the top of my head) and bring the reverb in fairly strong for a great reverb tone. 

I'm also going to offer a controversial opinion - I preferred the El Cap's reverb tone and feel to the Flint's spring setting. It's sort of short, sort of smooth (a touch of plate to it?) and overall feels 'real' compared to the ott reverb sounds in some modern pedals... like the flint. The decay is spot on and natural feeling to the point you don't notice it. Until it's off. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    The Flint sounds OTT? To me the spring reverb is basically indistinguishable from a real spring reverb. 
  • WTB22WTB22 Frets: 65
    Have you considered the UAFX Del-Verb? Top notch emulations of an EP-III Tape Echo and also a killer Fender Black-Panel Spring, plus loads more, both independent of each other. 
    WTB22 said:
    Have you considered the UAFX Del-Verb? Top notch emulations of an EP-III Tape Echo and also a killer Fender Black-Panel Spring, plus loads more, both independent of each other. 
    I have indeed but you can't have tap tempo if the reverb on/off is assigned to a footswitch. If you want tap tempo you can't have the reverb permanently on (which I want). Frustrating to say the least!! I have emailed UAFX about this and they have put it forward for an update. 
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    Loobs said:
    The Flint sounds OTT? To me the spring reverb is basically indistinguishable from a real spring reverb. 
    It's definitely just a personal interpretation, but yes, to me it does!

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2640
    If you want to up your sights to a Volante, the reverb is definitely independent from the delays. It's also generally excellent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    If you want to up your sights to a Volante, the reverb is definitely independent from the delays. It's also generally excellent. 
    Thank you for the suggestion but I’m looking for delay/reverb combo that is compact and set and forget.
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 490
    NickB said:
    Thank you for the suggestion but I’m looking for delay/reverb combo that is compact and set and forget.
    What about the Source Audio Collider? I set up mine and never touch it again unless I need other pre set, it's not expensive but I think its better than the Del-Verb in terms of functionality and design.