Thinking about getting into 3D printing?

What's Hot

Comments

• Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    Very tempting, my current excuse is that I won't have space for it. But we're inching closer to getting a full set up (including cleaner / cure stations) for under £500 which will be my personal sweet spot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26631
    Very tempting, my current excuse is that I won't have space for it. But we're inching closer to getting a full set up (including cleaner / cure stations) for under £500 which will be my personal sweet spot.
    Ugh...I honestly can't be bothered with resin printers. I love the idea of having my prints emerge from a vat of liquid, given that it's basically magic, but the post-processing time and effort just makes it not worth it. Then again, I don't need anything like the resolution you can get from resin printers - everything I do is functional rather than aesthetic.
    <space for hire>
    edited March 26
    Resin printers do seem like nightmare, but ideal for printing miniatures and miniature terrain, and that's my personal goal.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    Resin printers are ideal for miniatures. 

In other news, I sold my Voron a couple weeks ago, and it's replacement is out for delivery today :)

Although I probably won't get it setup until the weekend :(
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

image.png 208.9K
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's a serious bit of kit! What are you planning on using it for?
    m_c said:

In other news, I sold my Voron a couple weeks ago, and it's replacement is out for delivery today :)

Excellent stuff...I'm curious as to what your experience will be like. Voron -> X1C is kind of from one extreme to the other!
    <space for hire>
    That's a serious bit of kit! What are you planning on using it for?
    Writing off profits :)

Seriously though, I've got a little side line printing some bicycle related bits, which my Enders churn out quite nicely, but I've got a few ideas for more custom bits which I'd like to do in multiple colours.
    Multi-colour was one of the reasons I built the Voron, but I never got around to building the multi-colour feeder, and somebody offered me some money for the Voron a few weeks ago along with no hassle collection, so I figured now was the time to upgrade.

I could have went for the P1, but I'd quite like to try out some of the more exotic materials, so I opted for the X1C.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    m_c said:

Excellent stuff...I'm curious as to what your experience will be like. Voron -> X1C is kind of from one extreme to the other!
    So am I.
    I don't regret building the Voron, as it appealed to my nerdy engineering side, but from a purely commercial point, Enders and Bambu's make far more sense.
    m_c said:
    m_c said:

So am I.
    I don't regret building the Voron, as it appealed to my nerdy engineering side, but from a purely commercial point, Enders and Bambu's make far more sense.
    I have to say, I'm more than a little curious about the K1 now that they've committed to sorting out the firmware issues. I do love Klipper, and all that comes with it, but it'd be nice to have the option of zero-messing-about printing like you get with the P1 and X1 printers.

Right now, though, my main problem is that the Bambu range just aren't big enough to realistically print my next project in decent volumes, which leaves me with a bit of a quandary - K1 Max or...wait.
    <space for hire>
  • dhaywood67dhaywood67 Frets: 112

Right now, though, my main problem is that the Bambu range just aren't big enough to realistically print my next project in decent volumes, which leaves me with a bit of a quandary - K1 Max or...wait.
    Or just get one of these?
    Monster Sized 3D Prints - Elegoo OrangeStorm Giga! (youtube.com)

Or just get one of these?
    Monster Sized 3D Prints - Elegoo OrangeStorm Giga! (youtube.com)
    I don't have the budget for another house to put it in ;)
    <space for hire>
    I'm just going to leave this here, so @digitalscream can feel envious about my overpriced camera  =)

@m_c - nope, I'm not jealous at all.

The frame latency is so big that I had time to screenshot that before the next frame came along. At some point, I'm definitely going to have to cut a hole in the side and put a decent camera (and lighting) in there.
    <space for hire>
    I take it the P1's don't do time lapses?
    That video was a time lapse downloaded from the printer, and just uploaded to YouTube.

I don't think the internal lighting on the X1 is much better than the P1, but it does the job. You can see what's going on, which is the main thing, and there are only so many times you can watch a time lapse before the novelty wears off.

I will post about my experiences with the X1 at some point, as I've got no major complaints about it so far.
    m_c said:
    I take it the P1's don't do time lapses?
    That video was a time lapse downloaded from the printer, and just uploaded to YouTube.

I don't think the internal lighting on the X1 is much better than the P1, but it does the job. You can see what's going on, which is the main thing, and there are only so many times you can watch a time lapse before the novelty wears off.

I will post about my experiences with the X1 at some point, as I've got no major complaints about it so far.
    Yeah, it can do timelapses, but I would honestly rather print fast than get a nice video out of it. The frame rate upsets me, though, as does the fact that Bambu Studio is crash-happy on Linux (with Wayland). After about 10 minutes, the interface just blanks and it has to be closed and restarted. Makes watching it a real pain in the ass.
    <space for hire>
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I've read the thread. I'm educated on 3d printing now. 
    I get it. 
    It's actually amazing.
    It's making me feel a bit weird, excited weird if you know what I mean.

this could be something I get into in retirement. Why wait? Well, because it's taken me over three years now to build a tele, and there is no completion in sight yet, so I think this 3d printing malarkey is one for the retirement. I could sit in my office fabricating all manner of stuff. 
    Snap said:
    I've read the thread. I'm educated on 3d printing now. 
    I get it. 
    It's actually amazing.
    It's making me feel a bit weird, excited weird if you know what I mean.

this could be something I get into in retirement. Why wait? Well, because it's taken me over three years now to build a tele, and there is no completion in sight yet, so I think this 3d printing malarkey is one for the retirement. I could sit in my office fabricating all manner of stuff. 
    Well, if there's no completion in sight on the Tele, you might as well get a 3D printer anyway ;)

Seriously, consumer 3D printing is becoming a proper thing now. By all accounts, the Creality K1 series is now a reliable and realistic alternative to the Bambu printers. They were absolute dogshit on release, but they've apparently fixed almost all the problems with the new revisions. Since Bambu seem to be unwilling to release a printer with larger print volume, I'm seriously considering a K1 Max for my next printer at this point.
    <space for hire>
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Well, if there's no completion in sight on the Tele, you might as well get a 3D printer anyway ;)

Stop!! I couldn't it would sit in here unused, I just know it would.  My tele has body has had partially sanded down grain filler on it for three years now. I really need to get that finished, it's ridiculous. Butterscotch.....got all the paint, all the bits, even a four way switch mod, all ready to go. For over three years. Will be four in September. another lockdown idea........
    Snap said:

Stop!! I couldn't it would sit in here unused, I just know it would.  My tele has body has had partially sanded down grain filler on it for three years now. I really need to get that finished, it's ridiculous. Butterscotch.....got all the paint, all the bits, even a four way switch mod, all ready to go. For over three years. Will be four in September. another lockdown idea........
    Surely that just means you need something to fill the time that you're spending not finishing the Tele? :D
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom