Thinking about getting into 3D printing?

What's Hot
Don't even think about spending £500+ on a printer like the Bambu Labs P1P/X1 or the Creality K1, or even the Prusa Mk4.

Just get the Elegoo Neptune 4.

Mine arrived yesterday, and I've done a few test prints on it as well as some pickup rings for @roberty - it's absolutely insane. It prints easily as fast as the Bambu printers for anything other than crap quality speed prints, and it costs $275. I ordered mine on 30th June, having paid about £220 for it.

It's got proper networking support too (ie it doesn't rely on cloud services or any proprietary apps or other tech like the others), and it supports almost any webcam out there - so you can put it in the back room, fire models at it from your PC over the network, and feel like Tony Stark when you wander in there 20 minutes later to a real thing sitting waiting for you.

Bonkers. It's like living in the future, maaaaan.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    You don't have bed levelling issues ?  Bunged-up nozzle ?  Temperature and feed rate issues ?  Every 3D printer I've seen has always been surrounded by aborted deformities like the lab in Alien Resurrection :lol: 
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26631
    Emp_Fab said:
    You don't have bed levelling issues ?  Bunged-up nozzle ?  Temperature and feed rate issues ?  Every 3D printer I've seen has always been surrounded by aborted deformities like the lab in Alien Resurrection :lol: 
    Nope. Nothing. In fact, not only have I not had any issues, the prints have come out essentially perfect - even down at 0.12mm layer height and insane 280mm/s speeds, with no visible ringing at all. In fact, at that resolution you can't even see the layer lines without using a camera and zooming in.

All the temperatures worked exactly as expected, the nozzle is absolutely clear, and it has both manual bed adjustment for coarse corrections and mesh auto-levelling; I only used the auto-level once when I first turned it on.

In fact, the only "problem" I encountered was that the bed adhesion is too good - you can't detach prints at all until the bed temperature has dropped below 50C.

It absolutely has no right to be this good at this price. I don't understand why so many of the bigger YouTubers are completely ignoring Elegoo (well, apart from the fact that they're all being paid by Bambu and Creality).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    edited July 2023
    Now I'm tempted.  Trouble is, like a lot of people who buy them, I don't really have anything I need that can be printed!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    Now I'm tempted.  Trouble is, like a lot of people who buy them, I don't really have anything I need that can be printed!
    You'll find things, believe me. There are loads of things that are printed in our house now - from self-watering plant pots (made waterproof with epoxy) to extensions for the legs on the desk I made for the wife. Even printed a facemask for the other guitarist in my old band, for his solo stage show.

Additive manufacturing (as opposed to subtractive, like woodwork) is a completely different mindset - the idea that you can just make almost anything you can conceive of is very difficult to integrate into your approach when you've been stuck with cutting and bolting things your whole life.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Don't even think about spending £500+ on a printer like the Bambu Labs P1P/X1 or the Creality K1, or even the Prusa Mk4.

Mine arrived yesterday, and I've done a few test prints on it as well as some pickup rings for @roberty - it's absolutely insane. It prints easily as fast as the Bambu printers for anything other than crap quality speed prints, and it costs $275. I ordered mine on 30th June, having paid about £220 for it.

It's got proper networking support too (ie it doesn't rely on cloud services or any proprietary apps or other tech like the others), and it supports almost any webcam out there - so you can put it in the back room, fire models at it from your PC over the network, and feel like Tony Stark when you wander in there 20 minutes later to a real thing sitting waiting for you.

Thanks.
    I was looking at one.

Where did you order from?
    octatonic said:

Thanks.
    I was looking at one.

Direct from manufacturer:

https://www.elegoo.com/en-gb/products/elegoo-neptune-4-fdm-3d-printer?variant=40848271802416

Next set of orders shipped from the UK warehouse are for early August.
    <space for hire>
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27614
    Do I need for anything specific right now?

No.

Is it a tempting new toy that might be great fun?

Oh yes ....
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28415
    I had a look, and after a couple of minutes they offered me vouchers. So it may be worth staring at the page like a slack-jawed idiot for a bit before ordering. ;) 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16726
    I want one.   
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1440
    Sporky said:
    I had a look, and after a couple of minutes they offered me vouchers. So it may be worth staring at the page like a slack-jawed idiot for a bit before ordering. ;) 
    So, just act naturally?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    Do I need for anything specific right now?

No.

Is it a tempting new toy that might be great fun?

Oh yes ....
    Do it.

You don't even need the expense (or the crazy learning curve) that comes with using Fusion 360 or similar - you can just use something like TinkerCAD in your browser.

I'm somewhat limited because I use Linux. I keep meaning to learn how to use Blender (it's surprisingly good for 3D printing), but every time I realise that TinkerCAD is both easier and quicker for what I need to make.
    <space for hire>
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I'm glad that's working so well, sounds like a winner

For the record @digitalscream has made me some two-hole pickup mounting rings for a 40 year old Yamaha SG. The original rings are completely non-standard, three mounting holes but not Fender spaced, and the four corner holes are differently spaced to Gibson/Epiphone rings

I wanted to fit a new bridge pickup to the guitar without drilling out the original rings. So this is a really tidy solution - I can now change to any standard pickup and it is fully reversible
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    octatonic said:

Thanks.
    I was looking at one.

Direct from manufacturer:

https://www.elegoo.com/en-gb/products/elegoo-neptune-4-fdm-3d-printer?variant=40848271802416

Next set of orders shipped from the UK warehouse are for early August.
    Cheers Lee.
    Also, I can confirm that the firmware supports any old webcam, in case you've got it sat in another room and you want to keep an eye on it for print failures - just bought a cheap Creative 1080p camera, plugged it into the USB port on the front and it's streaming at 30fps perfectly.
    <space for hire>
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Genuine question to people who are into this - what is the point?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8723
    Creating things which you can’t buy easily. There’s a 3D printer on the International Space Station. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    edited July 2023
    Snap said:
    Genuine question to people who are into this - what is the point?
    Basically, this:
    Roland said:
    Creating things which you can’t buy easily. There’s a 3D printer on the International Space Station. 
    I've made all sorts of useful stuff - in the last three or four months...

- a vape holder for the car,
    - all of the custom fixings to make three open-air computers
    - desk leg extenders for building the wife's desk (saved me about £200 on the cost of extra-long legs which didn't look as good)
    - custom VESA bracket for a fourth monitor on my PC
    - handy hexagonal, extendable parts drawers (need to make a lot more of these)
    - mobile phone docks for both desks
    - hose lock for the vacuum cleaner when it broke (no spares available, so that would've been a new hoover)
    - custom angular face mask for a friend's stage show
    - phone holder to turn an old knackered Pixel into a nanny-cam when we adopted a new dog and he wouldn't come out of his crate

It's quite amazing, once we got into the mindset of being able to make anything, how much time and money we'd previously wasted on doesn't-quite-fit-but-it'll-do cheap tat from Amazon Prime when we really needed to solve a problem quickly.

For more on-topic stuff...I've got a design in my head for a simple, quick-and-dirty-but-sturdy pedalboard. Might give it a go at the weekend.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Also the joy of designing and making stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    Also the joy of designing and making stuff. 
    I'm quite honestly surprised that you don't already have one...
    <space for hire>
    Me too!