Advice requested - loose bridge pin

What's Hot
KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
Greetings folks,
Ive been trying to replace a snapped octave G string on my Brook, but it seems the bridge pin is now far too loose. There feels like no friction holding the pin in place at all, whether string present or not (pins have a string slot).
Any suggestions for a quick fix? Rough up the pin shank with coarse abrasive? New pin?
Obviously it's still quite playable with 11 strings working, :) , but Id like the full 12.

Any help appreciated,
Adam
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SoupmanSoupman Frets: 237
    I had a similar problem with a slightly loose end pin. The local shop suggested a turn or two of electricians tape. It worked fine as a temporary measure.

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Ahh, thats a good idea. I'll try that. Cheers.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1970
    I'm not sure bridge pins are all the same size. Are they or do they all have the same taper? I'm sure I remember trying to change some bridge pins and they had no purchase at all. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Yeah, the taper can be a problem as they arent all the same.
    The odd thing is that this bridge pin has been in the bridge since I collected the guitar a couola years ago.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    The string should hold it in place once the tension is on it unless it’s really far too small, in which case it probably needs replacing.

I would not use electrician’s tape - it will leave a sticky mess in the hole which will be very difficult to clean out. If you must use tape, paper masking tape is much better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1970
    ICBM said:
    The string should hold it in place once the tension is on it unless it’s really far too small, in which case it probably needs replacing.

I would not use electrician’s tape - it will leave a sticky mess in the hole which will be very difficult to clean out. If you must use tape, paper masking tape is much better.
    PTFE tape is probably best. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7334
    edited July 2023
    I have successfully used a very thin smear of 2-part quick-curing epoxy glue (Araldite) on very loose bridge pins.  It dries almost rock hard, as long as you mixed it 50/50 and properly and allowed it to cure thoroughly, and won't stay sticky and adhere to the inside of the hole.

[EDIT] For clarification in case some nugget glues the bridge pin into the hole. I am referring to smearing glue on the pin after removing it, allowing the glue to cure, and then pushing it in again.  The idea is that the tiny bit of extra girth created by the glue will make it fit more tightly in the hole.
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 260
    I would email Andy and Simon at Brook for their advice first.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5490
    I would wrap it in a scrap of paper.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 237
    On balance, I would send for some new ones (in different tapers if unsure).
     :)