Raygun Relics incredible work!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    I love the idea of a refin which preserves/duplicates the original dings and scratches!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    JayGee said:
    I love the idea of a refin which preserves/duplicates the original dings and scratches!
    Its a clever idea.  No one can critise the wear as being unrealistic if you can show thats exatcly how it did wear before the refin
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Just to be clear, I've not got a problem with relic finishes. Some I love, others not - identical to other colours/finishes really.

The dilemma with this one was simply that it was already quite worn when I got it and I've added to it a bit over the years (top photo was over 15 years ago and I bought it a few years before that). I always liked the wear on it while wanting a solid colour finish so it was great to be able to keep the original dings without needing to attack it any more. 

I don't consider it any more "authentic" (or inauthentic) than any other relic finish but it's special to me because it still seems like the same guitar I've always had. 
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I think the whole question is a bit of a cul-de-sac... do you play an authentic cover of someone's tune? I don't think many people care - the important thing is to enjoy it. :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10268
    Really like that Tele @Basher

Nice thread,although I can't help thinking about about this boner.

Muslamic Rayguns!!!!!!!

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    yeah, i think thats a reasonable reason to want to do it

for every relicer there are at least 10 other people telling them they are not doing it authenticly  ;)
  • glt56glt56 Frets: 209
    edited October 2014
    Basher said:
    Sorry, forgot to publicly thank @glt56 for letting me know about Graham's work. Cheers!
    You are most welcome sir!  Told ya he was good, especially when you consider how much a Nash, Haar or Bravewood equivalent would be!  ^:)^
  • WezV;386333" said:
    yeah, i think thats a reasonable reason to want to do it

for every relicer there are at least 10 other people telling them they are not doing it authenticly  ;)
    I was genuinely told the relic work on my Ltd was "unrealistic" when I took it to a shop the other year.

It was genuine wear.

Facepalm everywhere.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2014
    I was genuinely told the relic work on my Ltd was "unrealistic" when I took it to a shop the other year.

It was genuine wear.

Facepalm everywhere.
    Maybe they meant it was an unrealistic relic in as much as it was too realistic?

Perhaps in some parts of this crazy, post-modern dystopia clinical, unrealistic wear is desirable to the grubby old version involving the guitar actually getting played?

It's that classic relic owners philosophical dilemma: if your immaculate, custom shop, masterbuilt and aged strat falls over in a wood, further wrecking the finish, with no-one there to see it - is it now an inauthentic relic due to the authentic wear?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    When people want to be an authority they pretend to be gate keepers of some secret knowledge, but what everyone else sees, is this:

if the "authority" is lucky he gets to make someone else feel inadequate, which is an important thing... right?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    if the "authority" is lucky he gets to make someone else feel inadequate, which is an important thing... right?
    Yes. I think that's about the size of it.
    Thankfully, we don't get too much of that sort of thing on here. Over in the good old US of A on the other hand.... 
    edited October 2014
    Agreed, and to be honest every time I point that stuff out I wonder if that's me :D - Here's how I convince myself I'm not :)

An expert in something, adamant that his view is the correct world view, kinda suggests a lack of repeated exposure to the thing he's an expert of, I look at a clock maybe 20 times a day - and the time is always different, the instance I look away it's changed...

Imagine I looked at a clock once, many days ago and then went around professing it was 3pm with utmost confidence if ever asked about the time? People would learn not to trust my opinion.

History is reinterpreted and rewritten, scientific research is over-turned, improved or shown to have limits.. all the time... by experts.. as are trends, fashions, mores, popular opinion and common sense.

So perhaps the person choosing to be an authority saying what is and what isn't on a guitar forum isn't so much of an expert - the real ones know to have a touch of humility in order to maintain the edge on their skills. Another pointer to that is, the role of fallibility in being good at something... the only time to exercise a complete lack of doubt is when doing a thing.. so maybe the person is an expert in inflating themselves on the internet like a bull-toad (as they have no doubt of that) and not at the thing they're explaining (which seems impervious to adaptation - being mired in dogma.

In describing that I'm trying to square it off with some proper experts here who sometimes seem a bit thorny, and I don't know if it works :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    frankus said:
    Agreed, and to be honest every time I point that stuff out I wonder if that's me :D - Here's how I convince myself I'm not :)

An expert in something, adamant that his view is the correct world view, kinda suggests a lack of repeated exposure to the thing he's an expert of, I look at a clock maybe 20 times a day - and the time is always different, the instance I look away it's changed...

Imagine I looked at a clock once, many days ago and then went around professing it was 3pm with utmost confidence if ever asked about the time? People would learn not to trust my opinion.

History is reinterpreted and rewritten, scientific research is over-turned, improved or shown to have limits.. all the time... by experts.. as are trends, fashions, mores, popular opinion and common sense.

So perhaps the person choosing to be an authority saying what is and what isn't on a guitar forum isn't so much of an expert - the real ones know to have a touch of humility in order to maintain the edge on their skills. Another pointer to that is, the role of fallibility in being good at something... the only time to exercise a complete lack of doubt is when doing a thing.. so maybe the person is an expert in inflating themselves on the internet like a bull-toad (as they have no doubt of that) and not at the thing they're explaining (which seems impervious to adaptation - being mired in dogma.

In describing that I'm trying to square it off with some proper experts here who sometimes seem a bit thorny, and I don't know if it works :D

Wow, you do seem to know what you're talking about... maybe even an expert on the subject? :-/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Are you Bono?
    I am in no way affiliated to U2 :-O
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi. I am Graham Muir of Raygun Relics and just wanted to say thanks for the compliments. So..thanks.
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited December 2014
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I see Stuart's making space for a new guitar..

That Wilkinson pickup is a good un but if you get a chance try a Mojo P90 in it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostson;440106" said:

Good lord that's nice man