Queen next year

What's Hot
Quite fancied this but tickets start at around £60 (!) and it's on a Wednesday. :(
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ..and it's not Queen.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31084
    edited October 2014
    I thought this was about abdication. I was going to say it's about time that people realise how obscene the concept of a monarchy is!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• vizviz Frets: 10762
    So did I - I thought she wanted to break free.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16329
    Que?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Who the singist?

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1566
    Adam Lambert. His voice is not full enough in my opinion. Plus Roger Taylor sits out of playing some tunes and lets his son Rufus hit the tubs. Definitely not Queen as I want to see it.

Mr May is still on top form though...
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I saw the Queen + Paul Rodgers tour a few years ago which was a great night, and really a celebration of those songs, which I guess is pretty much the same now but with this other chap on vocals (WTF is he?).

I've got family in NZ and they saw them a few weeks ago and had a great night, so I'm sure it'll be a cracking gig.

I'd be happy if they billed it as "An evening of Queen music" or something like that (simlar to how ABWH did the Yes stuff without officially being Yes).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Wasn't Lambert on American Idol or some such? Roger Taylor was producing/ directing an official Queen tribute band, I wonder what happened to that?
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I love Queen, I really do, but I do think they should have just stopped when Freddie expired - the original lineup was as close to perfect as any band could ever wish for, and anything other than that is just somehow wrong.  Tour as May, Deacon, (sometimes) Taylor and friends or something, but not Queen.

Plus, each time I have seen Brian May live he puts more treble on his guitar than the time before, last time was painful when he went above the 12th fret.  I think that giant pile of AC30s may be eating away at his hearing a bit.  Can't possibly think how. :))
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11702
    tFB Trader
    I saw them with Adam Lambert at Hammy Odeon last year and it was a good show

It's not Queen as many of us remember - I saw them 6 times with Freddie, so I feel safe in saying that

But it worked (for me) better than the previous tour with Paul Rogers 
    I love Paul Rodgers but he wasn't right for Queen - they needed a preening prima donna frontman which Lambert isn'r bad at doing.

However it was also a good show as I was at the front at a small venue like Hammersmith .
    I wouldn't see this lineup at Wembley or the O2 as I don't feel that they could do it justice - as the lineup with Freddie definitely could.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• vizviz Frets: 10762
    Fuzzdog said:
    I love Queen, I really do, but I do think they should have just stopped when Freddie expired - the original lineup was as close to perfect as any band could ever wish for, and anything other than that is just somehow wrong.  Tour as May, Deacon, (sometimes) Taylor and friends or something, but not Queen.

Plus, each time I have seen Brian May live he puts more treble on his guitar than the time before, last time was painful when he went above the 12th fret.  I think that giant pile of AC30s may be eating away at his hearing a bit.  Can't possibly think how. :))

"Taylor May'd" :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I saw Queen with Paul Rodgers a few years back (the first time round) - I enjoyed it and thought they did a good job, but certain songs didn't suit PR's voice IMO, and as others have suggested, it shouldn't have been packaged as Queen.
  • F*** sake, Bryan Ferry is also playing and the ticket prices appear to be similar. Grr.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5587
    Why not run with:

Queen: Taylor May'd.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3108
    I liked the QPR moniker when Paul Rodgers was with them. I agree with @fuzzdog that they stopped being "Queen" when Freddie left us.

I saw Brian on his first tour after Freddie's death and it was incredible. I haven't been to a gig with so much emotion and genuine love between the audience and the perfomer.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    edited October 2014
    F*** sake, Bryan Ferry is also playing and the ticket prices appear to be similar. Grr.
    The difference is that Ferry has moved with the times and his age gracefully. He was brilliant at Glastonbury last year, even doing a lot of the old early-Roxy material.

I love Queen, but I would never pay to see this half-arsed version. Freddie can never be replaced - I didn't mind seeing George Michael having a go as a one-off, but no more than that. John Deacon isn't involved either, and as far as I know won't ever be.

By the way, has anyone seen the new BBC Music 'God Only Knows' trailer/ad with Brian and what looks like about a hundred AC30s stacked up?! (Kind of in the style of the Perfect Day multi-artist charity thing they did a few years back.) Fantastic!

Aha… they've Youtubed it :).

Only a couple of seconds of Brian, but a great image.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

EricTheWeary;375910" said:
    Wasn't Lambert on American Idol or some such? Roger Taylor was producing/ directing an official Queen tribute band, I wonder what happened to that?
    answer my own question: Queen Extravaganza. Don't know if they have any UK dates planned but they are the official Queen tribute touring the US.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6406
    edited October 2014
    Brian Ferry was pretty dull at Glastonbury EXCEPT when doing the old Roxy stuff (IMHO etc).

Mrs J just went out and got tickets for Queen + AL next year - I'm made up !!!! :)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11702
    tFB Trader
    Mark Martell is very good in the Queen Extravaganza

Here are a couple of clips of his talent

I saw Queen with Adam Lambert last time they toured and they played Hammersmith Apollo.
    They were very good - better in many ways than when they had Paul Rodgers ( a preening prima donna seems to fit as Queen frontman)
    Whilst I enjoyed the relative intimacy of the Hammy gig , I don't know if i would want to see it at Wembley.

Nobody can ever replace Freddie but it can still be a fun night out.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    edited October 2014
    Gosh, that "God Only Knows" video is a load of camp old nonsense. 

I think Adam Lambert's about as perfect a fit as you're going to get for Queen, without going the Freddie-impersonator route.  Where are they playing in London, O2?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom