Someone hands you a guitar and says "Play something.."

What's Hot
OctavioOctavio Frets: 151
edited July 2023 in Live
Happened recently at a party, well I say party, it was really more a gathering of middle aged people  Someone handed me an acoustic.

I play electric daily, but nothing that these people will ever have heard of. I presume they're after something from a wedding playlist, which is fine (no judgement).

What songs do you play solo acoustic in such circumstance?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11792
    Live Forever.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 150
    Proud Mary (more CCR than Tina stylee). 

It’s one everyone can sing along to, and is about 2mins 30 seconds if people are blatantly not into it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 405
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6693
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    Give peace a chance
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6693
    Give peace a chance
    GIF Piece A Chants. 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    The natural choice would be The Beatles/George Harrison's Something
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12395
    Wild horses probably. Maybe high n dry or wish you were here. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10419
    I think if someone hands you an acoustic  guitar at a party it's kind of handy to be able to play something they can recognise so I generally play something that has the melody, some bass notes and some chords. So it kinda sounds complete rather than just some chords. 
    So you can take a common song like this version of Isn't she lovely and just put enough snatches of chord and bass notes so they can follow it as a tune. what I'm playing is simplified but it's enough for them to get the gist 

For electric you can do the same thing. Take a common Beatle track and just play enough melody over just enough chords and bass notes for them to recognise it as the song. The notes of the melody will generally be in the chords so it's quite an easy trick to do. 

I have a few party tricks I can do which are flash looking but not as hard as they look. Spanish Fly, Eruption, Eugenes trick bag. Stuff I've worked on for years. Most of the parties I go to though are full of musicians and nobodies gettings guitars out, everyone is just getting hammered. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    merlin said:
    Give peace a chance
    GIF Piece A Chants. 

Or, as the painted message on the viaduct (M25 near Rickmondsworth) says...

GIVE PEAS A CHANCE!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1128
    A Gary glitter song if you dont want to be asked again.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1128
    merlin said:
    Give peace a chance
    GIF Piece A Chants. 

Or, as the painted message on the viaduct (M25 near Rickmondsworth) says...

GIVE PEAS A CHANCE!
    Been painted over a while ago
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27110
    Wonderwall, Blackbird, Sweet Home Alabama? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2974
    The opening few bars from Never Let Go by Camel opens a few eyes, I've found.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    Ed Sheeran song
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12395
    Danny1969 said:
    I think if someone hands you an acoustic  guitar at a party it's kind of handy to be able to play something they can recognise so I generally play something that has the melody, some bass notes and some chords. So it kinda sounds complete rather than just some chords. 
    So you can take a common song like this version of Isn't she lovely and just put enough snatches of chord and bass notes so they can follow it as a tune. what I'm playing is simplified but it's enough for them to get the gist 

For electric you can do the same thing. Take a common Beatle track and just play enough melody over just enough chords and bass notes for them to recognise it as the song. The notes of the melody will generally be in the chords so it's quite an easy trick to do. 

I have a few party tricks I can do which are flash looking but not as hard as they look. Spanish Fly, Eruption, Eugenes trick bag. Stuff I've worked on for years. Most of the parties I go to though are full of musicians and nobodies gettings guitars out, everyone is just getting hammered. 

If I could play like that I would take a guitar to every party and wear shirts with tassels!!
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7285
    @Danny1969 ;  On your natural finish "Strat" the tremolo bar sits unusually high and has an odd shape to it.  I really like the look of that and I think it would help to make using the trem a lot easier for me.  Did you make that bar or modify an existing one?

If I was handed a guitar at a group gathering or party the people would most likely be of my own generation, so I would be inclined these days to play something with an easily recognisable intro that they could all sing along with straight off to save me from singing, like "Let Your Love Flow" or one of the "strummable" Eagles songs.
  • Someone hands me a guitar and tells me to play something? I'd tell them to fuck off. I'm not anyone's performance monkey =) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    I seem to do What a Wonderful World, or How Deep is your Love, or You’ve Got a Friend. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10419
    @munckee ; Your very kind but it is easier than it looks. 

@BillDL ;
    That's a Hank Marvin type trem arm, I brought that Strat body of a Shadows fan and he included the trem and arm with it. Basically shorter and higher than standard. I prefer it to standard trem arms. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk