Someone hands you a guitar and says "Play something.."

What's Hot

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7285
    Thank you for that @Danny1969 A quick Google takes me here:  https://www.easy-mute.co.uk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    Something easy and recognisable. Maybe one of these…

Bad Moon Rising (There’s a bathroom on the right!)
    People Get Ready 
    Free Falling
    Hit The Road Jack
    So Far Away
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28402
    Another advantage of playing cello. Hardly anyone gets one out at a party. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    Are you singing as well ? 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4185
    Dead flowers , every rose, highway to hell, all the young dudes ,hotel California wanted dead or alive stuff like that   
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 713
    Johnny Cash,  Hurt or Mercy Seat
    Tito & Tarantula After Dark
    Chris Isaak, Wicked Game...

Or the opening bars of Stairway... that normally puts a stop to any playing....

• rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 199
    edited July 2023
    Danny1969 said:
    I think if someone hands you an acoustic  guitar at a party it's kind of handy to be able to play something they can recognise so I generally play something that has the melody, some bass notes and some chords. So it kinda sounds complete rather than just some chords. 
    So you can take a common song like this version of Isn't she lovely and just put enough snatches of chord and bass notes so they can follow it as a tune. what I'm playing is simplified but it's enough for them to get the gist 

For electric you can do the same thing. Take a common Beatle track and just play enough melody over just enough chords and bass notes for them to recognise it as the song. The notes of the melody will generally be in the chords so it's quite an easy trick to do. 

I have a few party tricks I can do which are flash looking but not as hard as they look. Spanish Fly, Eruption, Eugenes trick bag. Stuff I've worked on for years. Most of the parties I go to though are full of musicians and nobodies gettings guitars out, everyone is just getting hammered. 

After watching that .It made me  realise I can’t play guitar after 50 odd years.Thks for that great work.If you wanted to sell one of your picks let me know as it all helps
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2641
    I just sit there in bewildered silence with a guitar in my lap, thinking about why I don't go to parties. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    It's a great question and one that instantly makes me forget I even know how to play guitar. 

It's like the Men In Black zapper of questions. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited July 2023
    At a party it would need to be something everyone knows the words to for a singalong. 
    Wouldn't want to kill the party playing some instrumental thing.

Something like wonderwall or wish you were here.
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    Benm39 said:

Wicked Game on acoustic?
    WTAF 
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 713
    wesker123 said:
    Benm39 said:

Wicked Game on acoustic?
    WTAF 
    It's ok. Like the John Belushi scene in Animal House,  someone has by then either taken the guitar out of my hands,  or smashed it against the nearest wall.... ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3591
    You can always ask them to do you a spreadsheet projection on the kitchen table so you can plug in your investments, it’s all work. 
    I’m not a party person but assuming I’m not already ‘quite relaxed’ and mind and body are functioning together I’d do something I know well and that is quite recognisable.
    50 ways to leave your lover,
    Sweet Caroline,
    How deep is your love.
    But they only get the one and then I hand back the guitar, people still think music is free and I prefer not to endorse that idea. What would it be like being a comedian having drunks tell you their favourite old joke or insisting you tell a stream of funnies.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1349
    The trouble with this scenario is it can rapidly descend into a David Brent / Free Love Freeway situation. Awk's for all concerned.

My experience - read the room, keep it light and frothy, singalong. If after the first chorus they're looking at their phones... bow out gracefully.
    Above all - it's about them - not you. 
    If someone ABSOLUTELY insists that you pick up the guitar ( I never volunteer) - play something think crowd pleaser-ish - and something they know. Now is not the time for Nick Drake or Theme From the Deer Hunter (Cavatina).

If in doubt...Oasis or Beatles.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9794
    If it's guitar, I'll normally just say I've got a finger injury of some sort and bow out as I'm not very good at reading a room for that kind of thing.

If it's piano I'll bust out about 20 seconds of something really hard sounding and segue into tinkle twinkle or something, then we can all move on and enjoy the party
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26631
    If it's an electric, probably Enter Sandman or Get The Funk Out. Basically, recognisable to anyone familiar with the genre, but with a strong enough beat that anyone who isn't can still follow it. Likely Johnny B Goode if there's not enough gain available.

If it's an acoustic...no idea, really. Classical Gas, maybe? Or perhaps something easy by Radiohead, like Black Star or Fade Out. I haven't even touched an acoustic in 20 years or so, so I'm guessing it probably wouldn't go well.
    <space for hire>
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10419
    One trick you can do chordally is the old Nashville Zip code  sequence ... 1,5,6,4, will get you enough songs to keep everybody singing, so C, G, Am and F for example and pick anything off this 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I–V–vi–IV_progression#Songs_using_the_progression

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    Danny1969 said:
    One trick you can do chordally is the old Nashville Zip code  sequence ... 1,5,6,4, will get you enough songs to keep everybody singing, so C, G, Am and F for example and pick anything off this 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I–V–vi–IV_progression#Songs_using_the_progression

https://youtu.be/5pidokakU4I
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    So what I’ve learned from this is if I was at a party and someone handed me a guitar and said “play something” I’d say “hang on a minute I just need to find Danny…” 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Much as I dislike the song, I’d probably go for the drunks’ fave - Sweet Caroline. I’d play the instantly recognisable intro using similar technique to Danny’s excellent clips above then, by the time I began the first verse, there’d be voices joining in. Very soon the karaoke would be in full flow and I could quietly slip away.