Another headless guitar build

What's Hot
RolandRoland Frets: 8706
edited August 2023 in Making & Modding
richman6100 said: Love build threads
Reading @richman6100’s statement in @axisus’s build thread I realised that I like reading build threads too. 

This guitar is another step in my journey towards ”the one”. I’ve spent the last couple of years experimenting with headless guitars, and in particular with headless tuners. The journey started with the truly appalling Overlord, and continued with the somewhat heavy J Custom, and the incredibly expensive Hipshot. This time I’m using the rather intricate Nova system. The project actually started last year, when I bought all the parts. It got delayed, and then stopped completely when I used the neck to replace the warped neck on my previous build. All that remained was a three piece Sycamore neck blank, and that’s my starting point

In the last couple of months I’ve cut three potential fretboard blanks from Sycamore, Holly, and Walnut. Currently I’m dithering over which to use. The Sycamore I’m confident is stable. I’ve used it before, and it produced a nice light coloured fretboard. Holly I like the idea of simply because I’ve never used it before. It’s the heaviest of the three, and the hardest. However my previous experience of Holly is that it isn’t particularly stable. Still, this piece has been seasoning for at least four years. Then there’s the Walnut. It comes from the tree of a friend who died earlier this year. This piece has been in my workshop for at least five years. However I made a neck blank from it last month, and I’m tempted to keep neck and fretboard together.

The body will be Cedar of Lebanon. Last time I used a Yew cap. This time I’m tempted to use a blue veneer which I picked up earlier this year at a wood working show, set off by white binding. The plank wasn’t quite wide enough, so I rough cut the blank, and glued the offcut from the upper waist on to the lower bout. 

Every build has a slightly different body shape to accommodate the tuner bridge design. The Nova doesn’t have much room for manoeuvre, both longitudinally and in height. Hence I’ve been drawing directly on the wood.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I also like build threads! and I like headless guitars! I built one a few years ago, but I am currently revamping it and improving the odd design flaw. It's on the backburner at the moment due to the excitement of my new project.

Looking forward to seeing this develop!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MARVlNMARVlN Frets: 108
    Looking forward to this. Working on my own at the moment which I mean to share here when I can bring myself to write it up.

Did you go for the vibrato Nova, or the fixed bridge? I used the vibrato unit on my last guitar build and found it didn't correspond with any commonly available templates (i.e. it's different from a Floyd etc), so was a little more difficult to work with than I anticipated. Muddled through though, and it's very good in use - better than the ABM bridges, and smooth to tune with the thrust washers. Only slight issue can be the ball ends getting caught in the adjuster nuts, but they tend to only do so if they're threaded on with the 'less open' end outermost (seems almost tapered - apologies for the poor explanation).

What overall shape are you going for? (bridge-permitting)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    edited August 2023
    @marvin It’s a fixed bridge. The body shape will be similar to my previous guitar build, a headless Strat shape. The strap buttons and the bridge will be in the same positions as previously because that’s what I find most convenient to play. This might mean an adjustment to the back end of the body because the Nova tuners are shorter than the Hipshot.

I’m expecting some careful measurement when I install the bridge, during which I’ll move the controls slightly. There’s also a longer neck because the Hipshot headpiece screws longitudinally into the neck, and the Nova screws go front to back, and need more length and depth beyond the zero fret.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2023
    Yesterday was machine tool day. I routed out the truss rod channel with an edge trimmer. Drilling a hole for the Allen key is a lot easier with a pillar drill:

and thicknessing the fret board contenders is a lot easier with a planer/thicknesser. The Walnut has a touch of spalting, and isn’t going to be as hard as I’d like. I still haven’t decided whether to use the Sycamore or the Holly. I’ll give it a week to see whether the Holly distorts after planing.

This guitar will have a narrower neck than its predecessor. My current guitar is 44mm at the nut. This one will be 42mm. So out came the band saw and the table saw to cut a new neck template. Happy tool day
  • MARVlNMARVlN Frets: 108
    @Roland, when I wrote my comment yesterday, I swear the picture of the body with the outlines wasn't working - I'm not that dense (probably...)

Looks good and is a very practical shape
     imgur had a problem with the image. I re-loaded it. 
    It’s been ten days since I last got into the workshop. Grandchildren have now gone, and the house is back in order. The Holly fingerboard blank hasn’t moved, but I’d like to give it a bit longer before committing.

So today I looked at the body. I expected to cut a new template because of the difference between Nova and Hipshot tuners. You know the process: copy the master template, then modify the copy. I quickly realised that the master doesn’t match the body of my current number one guitar. I confess it was a routing mistake, which @SteveF will recognise. I like the narrower body shape, so it’s going to be a new template based on the body.
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    Oh yes, I recognise that all right! :lol:  I'm going to have to remake my template copies when I want to make another one. 

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of this one.  Exciting build. 
    Currently contemplating whether to put a 0.5mm blue veneer between the neck and the fretboard. 

IMG_4692.jpeg 141.3K
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It looks pretty cool.  What colour will the finished guitar be? 
    At the moment I’m thinking that the body will be the blue veneer over Cedar. (I’ve got a lot of Cedar of Lebanon. It’s light weight, but resonant). One of the reasons for choosing Holly over Sycamore for the fretboard is that it won’t go as yellow with age. To that end I’ve ordered some Hosco nickle silver fret wire, rather than the gold/bronze which goes well with the aged Sycamore.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That blue veneer is gorgeous
    And if the body will be the blue veneer on top I think the stripe you suggested would look great. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cool looking build - digging a "vintage" style steinberger GM vibe.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the nova, it has piqued my interest in the past

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the nova, it has piqued my interest in the past
    That’s one of the reasons for this build, to see how it compares with the alternatives.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    Roland said:
    Yesterday was machine tool day. I routed out the truss rod channel with an edge trimmer. 
    I initially misread that has hedge trimmer so was quite surprised how well it came out! :lol:

But it's looking good.

Asking from an acoustic background and putting aesthetics aside what's the benefit of a headless guitar? Reduced headstock weight?

Not trying to be negative - think it looks great!
    drofluf said:

Asking from an acoustic background and putting aesthetics aside what's the benefit of a headless guitar? Reduced headstock weight?
    When I started the journey away from the traditional Telecaster shape it was to reduce neck dive and overall weight. Headless tuning is more stable because there are no winds of string around the tuner posts to absorb string tension, and then slip when you’re playing. However bending is more difficult because there’s no lengths of string to participate in the string stretch. I’ve always used 10-52s on a 25.5” scale, but I’ve switched to lower tension strings. 

The other factor was a change of singer. Pub “stages” are small. When I swung ‘round with a Telecaster I’d hit Craig on the shoulder. He’d give me a look, and that would be the end of it. When I hit Sylvia in the face for the second time I realised that the headstock had to go.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Not sure whether to lol or wis that one!
    This time of year is always busy in the garden. Today it rained, several times. Eventually I gave up and put my workshop overalls on. Normally I make the guitar neck first so that I can guarantee that the neck cavity fits. This time I want to veneer the body, and use off veneer cuts for neck detail, so the body goes first

Exhibits 1 and 2 are the new body template, and the body blank which I routed with it.

Eagle eyes might spot that the lower bout is shorter than the upper bout on the left hand side. With a  strap and button fitted to the upper bout, and a right angled jack plug protruding from the lower, the guitar will stand upright, eliminating the need for a guitar stand at a gig.
    Now for the body taper, 45mm at the bottom, 20mm at the top. The first 75mm will be flat, allowing maximum depth for the superswitch in the control cavity. Then it will taper down. Angling the body reduces weight. It also means that when I’m playing the guitar face will be angled upwards by about 15 degrees, and I can see the fretboard without craning my neck.

One of the reasons I bought this bandsaw was its 13” cut depth. Ideal for slicing a 12.5” wide body. The table can be angled, enabling me to get a steady cut by holding the body against the fence while cutting.

It’s too late this evening to make such an important cut. That will have to wait until I can get out there again.