HIVE is to switch off devices. Thanks alot! Grrrr

What's Hot
HIVE has announced its turning off support for it's some devices! So basically camera's, home security system, leak detection and nano hube. 

Because these devices are programmed for Hive it means that once support stops for these devices they will no longer work. Thanks Hive! 

Full details are here.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2023/08/hive-axe-cameras-smart-devices-consumer-rights/
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12019
    You don't own anything these days!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • That’s disgusting 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26978
    Yeah...I've basically opted out of the cloud for everything, for this exact reason (along with the obvious privacy concerns). If a device doesn't have a local-network-only mode, they're not getting my money.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2949
    mmmm.  also not happy!   We have HIVE for heating, which can be overridden locally, but we have added lighting and do have the leak sensor ( though its far too sensitive so just annoying), so I'm not particularly impacted directly by this but the principle that they offer a service and then withdraw it once they have customers using and relying on it stinks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 853
    Yeah...I've basically opted out of the cloud for everything, for this exact reason (along with the obvious privacy concerns). If a device doesn't have a local-network-only mode, they're not getting my money.
    That's definitely the route I'm going to replace our CCTV camera's. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2370
    I guess that this is just the result of modern society where we get more and more people/companies to provide services to us. There will.always be the option for them to stop at some time, just as we can decide we don't want to use their services anymore.

We used to either do many of thesesthings ourselves or else didn't actually have any need for them in the first place.

Adey said:
    I guess that this is just the result of modern society where we get more and more people/companies to provide services to us. There will.always be the option for them to stop at some time, just as we can decide we don't want to use their services anymore.

We used to either do many of thesesthings ourselves or else didn't actually have any need for them in the first place.

The problem comes when people don't realise that these devices can be remotely rendered as paperweights when the company decides they're not economically viable any more. If, for example, someone has three of the indoor cameras, three of the outdoor cameras, and a couple of the leak sensors...that's easily a grand's worth of gear that somebody else has decided will never work again and needs to be replaced, right in the middle of a cost of living crisis.

My favourite outcome from this would be legal changes to force companies to support these things for an uncomfortable amount of time that effectively discourages them from making cloud-only gear, or to make them enable a local-only mode if they're going to discontinue them.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2200
    I remember getting an email from Hive maybe two years ago saying they were going to withdraw all support for the security kit.

I put all of my hive kit up for sale the same day.
  • Do people really expect anything different from tech so dependent on updates?  

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12448
    Before you know it we'll be returning to the dark days of having to turn the heating and lights on and off with our hands.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    You think that's bad?
    Hive controls my pacemaker and dialysis machine.

2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24755
    Before you know it we'll be returning to the dark days of having to turn the heating and lights on and off with our hands.
    Yes. And disabled people will suffer greatly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27837
    I never opted in
    ;)

Ownership = control (ok, there are some exceptions, but it's the broad principle).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Good grief, that's depressing.

I assume a better solution is a server and kit that works on that - but then you're at the behest of your own skill to keep them secure, and that can be difficult if you're not tech savvy... 
    Good grief, that's depressing.

I assume a better solution is a server and kit that works on that - but then you're at the behest of your own skill to keep them secure, and that can be difficult if you're not tech savvy... 
    The simplest way to keep things secure is to not connect them to the Internet. OK, so that's not totally practical, but all you have to do is prevent any incoming connections - which is easy, because you just have to not open any ports on your router. Job done.
    <space for hire>
  • Before you know it we'll be returning to the dark days of having to turn the heating and lights on and off with our hands.
    Say it isn't so! Next you'll be telling me I'll have to ask Mrs F to get up and change channels on the television.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    TTony said:
    I never opted in
    ;)

Ownership = control (ok, there are some exceptions, but it's the broad principle).
    I agree…..part of the reason why I happily still buy CD's. :)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28987
    Ouch.

This is part of why I went Axis for our CCTV. The stuff I bought is all discontinued now, but there will be updates for another three years, and every component has a new equivalent if it fails. No cloud connection needed, and well documented ports for if I want to enable remote viewing. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72913

Was going to post exactly that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3657
    ICBM said:

Was going to post exactly that.
    So that makes three of us. 

And they do sound better (to me)

We're going to need a few more recruits to keep the pressing plants going, though. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom