Parlour Guitar under £500?

What's Hot
Because they just feel so snug. And at this level you could take it anywhere.

Electronics would be optional. Don’t mind used if the model is widely available.

Any ideas appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MrTeeMrTee Frets: 511
    Faith mercury 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    The Fender Paramount series are worth a look. Great value for money.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • PRS P20 tonare,Worth a test drive .
    l
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    As a cheap as chips option, I have a recording king dirty thirty's (one with the gold foil pickup). It's a fun guitar, it might not sound as lush as the faith or PRS but as a "blues box" in open d tuning, it's got a vibe and is great fun
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1588
    Same old same old from me but a Taylor gs mini is hard to beat at that price point IF you're ok with the short scale and narrow nut.  
    You could snag an all koa too for your budget. Sound the best imo.

Or pick up a used Jim Dandy for around £100, great fun. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Guild p240.
  • louis_LLMlouis_LLM Frets: 126
    Kilgore said:
    Guild p240.
    +1 for this, i picked one up a few months ago on a whim and have picked it up more than any other guitar i own, its a 12 fret and has a slightly wider neck akin to a classical guitar IMO, but has a really lovely sound and looks lovely.
  • One of those little PRS Se surely 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I liked the Faith Mini Neptune
  • Thank you for the suggestions, I also like the look of the Alvarez parlour guitars
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    Thank you for the suggestions, I also like the look of the Alvarez parlour guitars

Where are you based? I have one of the Alvarez parlour guitars for sale if you're interested.
  • London, much as I love all things Yorkshire, it is a bit too far to view a guitar.
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    Agreed! They are great little guitars though if you can find one locally. Very narrow nut, if that bothers you.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1506
    edited August 2023
    I asked a similar question before Christmas. Have a read: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/238904/cheap-parlours-are-fender-gretsch-any-good/p1

Based on that thread, my wife got me the PRS SE P20e Tonare. I can spend literally hours glued to that thing on a quiet day. Sometimes fingerpicking some rhythm. Some other times just going from chord to chord. 

Only caveat is, if I were to pick a parlour again, I would get one without the electronics. I’ve plugged it like twice in 8 months. 

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    Stretch your budget a little and look at the Eastman E100ss @ £575
    All solid and great tone

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • Recording King RP all the way
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6719
     I had and loved one of these with the electronics

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/art-lutherie-roadhouse-tennessee-red
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • jw_H-535jw_H-535 Frets: 12
    Seagull entourage grand rustic. Not as common in the Uk anymore but had mine years, still sounds great for the money and has a passable Godin electro system in it. 
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    jw_H-535 said:
    Seagull entourage grand rustic. Not as common in the Uk anymore but had mine years, still sounds great for the money and has a passable Godin electro system in it. 
    I second the Seagull.  I just came upon a used Coastline Grand parlor a few weeks ago . . . don’t know why they call it “grand” because it’s a true parlor, a tiny body (I’m used to dreadnoughts).  But it resonates so well, such a sweet sound and easy to play.  Has built-in preamp and electronics, but that’s not something I use much.

The PRS parlor is decent, too.  I think Seagull gives you a better build for the money, though.  Used they should be in the $300-350 range, whatever that is in your weird “pound” crypto currency.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72408
    If you're OK with a little larger than a typical parlour - it's about '00' sized - the Vintage V300MH all-mahogany is great, and not just for the budget, which is about half yours.

The only reason I sold mine is that I got a better all-solid mahogany guitar... but which cost ten times as much and isn't ten times as good. I actually still miss the Vintage a bit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein