Controversial guitar opinions you have.

What's Hot

Comments

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1399
    edited May 17
    A tube / valve amp is not required for home use. Solid state or whatever is by invariably a better (and usually cheaper) option.

Most owners of electric guitars do not have a clue what to do with them.

Wall hangers are tacky.

And don't get me started on "pedal culture".
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NickBNickB Frets: 267
    There’s almost nothing appealing about a PRS.
    I was of the same opinion until recently. Wait until you have spent some time with one.
  • CaseOfAce said:
    A tube / valve amp is not required for home use. Solid state or whatever is by invariably a better (and usually cheaper) option.

Most owners of electric guitars do not have a clue what to do with them.

Wall hangers are tacky.

And don't get me started on "pedal culture".
    Agree with you on points one, two and four. However, wall hangers are nigh on a necessity when you're limited on space like I am.

I don't have enough space in my spare room to have guitars on stands on the floor, and would probably have to pack whichever of the 4 I wasn't using into their cases and store in the loft if it weren't for the 3 wall hangers I have. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1378
    Offsets are turd. Had a johnny mar jag on loan for a long weekend. Like playing a garden rake and sounded similar.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3505
    If you need wall hangers, you have too many guitars.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3505
    If a guitar sounds sterile, then it's your playing that's sterile
    (whatever sterile means regarding guitar sounds)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • carlos said:
    If you need wall hangers, you have too many guitars.

Touché!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9659
    Anyone who recommends Blackstar amps over a Bartel, Lazy J etc is a pudding yed….
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 293
    edited May 18
    What's a pudding yed?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tall_martinTall_martin Frets: 225
    I've no idea, but it doesn't sound complimentary  :o
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 951
    edited May 18
    99.9% of tremolos are only ever used in the first 2 days of buying the guitar

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3861
    The choice of wood is the only factor that dictates the sound of an electric guitar 
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1964
    There’s almost nothing appealing about a PRS.
    Except that knowing the owner may get you a much faster dental appointment.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28977
    Most guitar related jokes, like most guitar playing, are old, tired, and weren't funny to begin with. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6966
    edited May 18
    I'd also add that most people I have met that are involved in music-making are among the flakiest people I have ever come into contact with. 

Appreciate the creative arts are the home of people that don't want to join the rat race but the base level of professionalism should still be higher. 

And I'm aiming that at people I do work for that are at the absolute pinnacle, as well as Joe Bloggs doing bookings in the rehearsal studio in New Cross. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 815
    The production on noughties rock albums now sounds more dated than the 80’s stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10949
    tFB Trader
    soma1975 said:
    I'd also add that most people I have met that are involved in music-making are among the flakiest people I have ever come into contact with. 

Appreciate the creative arts are the home of people that don't want to join the rat race but the base level of professionalism should still be higher. 

And I'm aiming that at people I do work for that are at the absolute pinnacle, as well as Joe Bloggs doing bookings in the rehearsal studio in New Cross. 

Have you ever worked with actors?  I have extensively - and they can make people in the music industry look like sane models of professional decorum. I've worked on the odd West End show that was more like working with a bunch of argumentative toddlers hyped up on blue Smarties than a professional cast. I'm afraid lack of professionalism is a creative arts disease, pandered to too often when the perpetrators are relatively famous.  :-)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6966
    edited May 18
    soma1975 said:

Have you ever worked with actors?  I have extensively - and they can make people in the music industry look like sane models of professional decorum. I've worked on the odd West End show that was more like working with a bunch of argumentative toddlers hyped up on blue Smarties than a professional cast. I'm afraid lack of professionalism is a creative arts disease, pandered to too often when the perpetrators are relatively famous.  :-)

Yes I have. I am a cinematographer by trade. 

I think the actor thing is interesting because at one end you have the terrified youngsters, then you have the people with a hit that are enjoying the party life and then the megastars with the pressure of 100s of millions of dollars resting on them. 

Actually yeah the same as music really :)
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23491
    Anyone who recommends Blackstar amps over a Bartel, Lazy J etc is a pudding yed….
    What's a pudding yed?
    Does it mean "someone on a realistic budget"?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10949
    tFB Trader
    soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:

Yes I have. I am a cinematographer by trade. 

I think the actor thing is interesting because at one end you have the terrified youngsters, then you have the people with a hit that are enjoying the party life and then the megastars with the pressure of 100s of millions of dollars resting on them. 

Actually yeah the same as music really :)
    I worked as a theatre photographer for quite a few years - in tandem with my music career - with actors as diverse as Susannah York, Ronnie Barker, Steven Berkoff , Bonnie Langford and even Neil Patrick Harris ... and to an extent ... just like musicians, they all needed some hand-holding, even Berkoff! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom