Controversial guitar opinions you have.

What's Hot

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6965
    I bet that Bonnie was a handful. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 551
    Sporky said:
    Most guitar related jokes, like most guitar playing, are old, tired, and weren't funny to begin with. 

Why, I have recently heard one about how many guitars one should have, and I'm laughing for days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28972
    Sporky said:
    Most guitar related jokes, like most guitar playing, are old, tired, and weren't funny to begin with. 

Why, I have recently heard one about how many guitars one should have, and I'm laughing for days.
    Is that the one where it's OK to have lots of acoustics (entirely coincidentally, the poster does), but abhorrent to have more than one electric? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 573
    Anyone who reckons Epiphones are just the same as Gibson and you’re just paying for the name with Gibsons needs a reality check
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1499
    Silly folks - I thought everyone knew that you're paying for the smell!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10948
    tFB Trader
    soma1975 said:

I worked with her several times ... and like most folks who worked with her - I have various 'Bonnie stories' ... she has the knack of being very sweet and friendly ... even while being a pain in the bum ... so I have quite a soft spot for her in spite of the slightly 'diva' behavior :-)   
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 786
    soma1975 said:

We want information... 

What kind of hand holding did Ronnie Barker need? 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9659
    Philly_Q said:
    Anyone who recommends Blackstar amps over a Bartel, Lazy J etc is a pudding yed….
    What's a pudding yed?
    Does it mean "someone on a realistic budget"?
    It's not about budget - it's about direct comparison from people who have never played any of em.

Another opinion ----- so many people confuse 'information' with 'knowledge' =)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9659
    edited May 19

What's a pudding yed?
    Yed = head in Black Country parlance :)
    edited May 19
    Christ, as someone who films stuff for a living the amount of times I am told I am wrong about my craft or about a particular camera by people who have never shot anything or even been in the same room as a particular piece of kit is astonishing. 

We made a Lamborghini film once and the comments were filled with people getting really irate arguing about which particular limited edition Lambo model was better to drive despite it being nigh on possible for them to have been in the same country as the car let alone seen it. 

I'm sure your Bartel is lovely. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2224
    Most people wouldn’t be able to tell if parts (valves, capacitors, resistors) were changed in their amp without them knowing. 

Same with guitars. Change the nitro for poly, the expensive PAF clones with a different set of PAF clones etc. 

Most wouldn’t notice yet talk very loudly about it being a big thing on internet forums. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1963
    soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:
    I'd also add that most people I have met that are involved in music-making are among the flakiest people I have ever come into contact with. 

Appreciate the creative arts are the home of people that don't want to join the rat race but the base level of professionalism should still be higher. 

And I'm aiming that at people I do work for that are at the absolute pinnacle, as well as Joe Bloggs doing bookings in the rehearsal studio in New Cross. 

Have you ever worked with actors?  I have extensively - and they can make people in the music industry look like sane models of professional decorum. I've worked on the odd West End show that was more like working with a bunch of argumentative toddlers hyped up on blue Smarties than a professional cast. I'm afraid lack of professionalism is a creative arts disease, pandered to too often when the perpetrators are relatively famous.  :-)

Yes I have. I am a cinematographer by trade. 

I think the actor thing is interesting because at one end you have the terrified youngsters, then you have the people with a hit that are enjoying the party life and then the megastars with the pressure of 100s of millions of dollars resting on them. 

Actually yeah the same as music really :)
    I worked as a theatre photographer for quite a few years - in tandem with my music career - with actors as diverse as Susannah York, Ronnie Barker, Steven Berkoff , Bonnie Langford and even Neil Patrick Harris ... and to an extent ... just like musicians, they all needed some hand-holding, even Berkoff! 
    I'm guessing the key here is that their success makes others treat them differently than the Average Joe would and that sycophanting over them simply magnifies that behaviour? If they were still working in factories or on building sites between performances they simply wouldn't get away with it. Compounding the problem so to speak.
  • guyinlyonguyinlyon Frets: 328
    soma1975 said:
    Smoke on the Water is a dogshit song and a dogshit riff and has no place being held up as an alltime classic.

I think the opening riff is a well-deserved classic, but as soon as the lyrics begin it immediately sucks.

Cranky said:
    drippycat said:
    Calling them a back/front pickup is so much clearer than bridge/neck.
    Is it?

Which one’s the back pickup?
    The one that continually rubs against your belt buckle.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The solo in Bryan Adams' Everything I Do... is the best thing ever played on a Stratocaster.
    Second only to Everybody Wants To Rule The World.
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 171
    guyinlyon said:
    The solo in Bryan Adams' Everything I Do... is the best thing ever played on a Stratocaster.
    Second only to Everybody Wants To Rule The World.

But wasn't EWTRTW played on a Tokai (with a Fender strap)? It was in the video.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1111
    How about this one. Covers of songs but the guitar is playing the melody on an oversaturated lead tone with shit loads of delay. Some of it is alright but I actually prefer nice chord voicings and maybe alternate tunings (esp if done on acoustic). The shreddy lead melody playing is ok for a portion of it but to sit through the whole song watching someone over-widdle the phrases (and sometimes add more unnecessary ones) causes me to turn it off.
  • Keefy said:
    GuyBoden said:
    Barre chords should be banned.

And, Guitar Rock Music is commercially Dead.
    You may not be aware that every time a band records a song using one or more Barre chords, their inventor Martin Barre (of Jethro Tull) is entitled to a small residual payment. Typically this amounts to a fraction of a penny, so most recording studios choose not to bother. However, for publishers of guitar instruction books these payments can be substantial.

However there is nothing to stop amateur guitarists playing as many Barre chords as they wish, free of charge.

In 1993 Jimi Hendrix’s estate brought a legal action over the Hendrix chord (E7#9) citing the Barre chord as binding precedent. Amazingly the case is still unresolved and is estimated to have cost the Hendrix estate over $21M in legal fees so far. The case has been complicated by the fact that Jimi played his guitar down-tuned a semitone, making the chord Eb7#9.
    This makes me happy. That there are minds capable of such a diatribe genuinely pleases me. Well said Keefy.You da man.
    God bless this kitchen said the knick knack chef
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    How about this one. Covers of songs but the guitar is playing the melody on an oversaturated lead tone with shit loads of delay. Some of it is alright but I actually prefer nice chord voicings and maybe alternate tunings (esp if done on acoustic). The shreddy lead melody playing is ok for a portion of it but to sit through the whole song watching someone over-widdle the phrases (and sometimes add more unnecessary ones) causes me to turn it off.
    The Timmons/Landau sort of world. It makes me feel sick.