Quirky guitar design

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GRBaldwinGRBaldwin Frets: 24
    edited September 2023
    @WafflesOnHorseback ;;;;;;

Apologies for some of my comments. Early morning feeding my newborn and just frustrated at reading some of the comments and some people missing the point of why it was built. Didn’t want my friend Balázs being lauded as some tasteless pervert or something! He’s a ridiculously talented individual building some stunning instruments.

If you wanted to check out and have a play of some of his guitars, then you’re more than welcome. Feel free to drop me a message if you’re ever around these parts
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7269
    If I wanted to showcase my talents with any hand-made article I believe I would avoid totally alienating a significant percentage of the potential future clientelle that find the word "fucking" to be objectionable.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1415
    tbf the word "fucking" is less objectionable in some other European countries (non anglo). Spain, Belgium, Czech etc
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5458
    How many high-end guitar makers are there in the UK?

How many are we talking about?

• WafflesOnHorsebackWafflesOnHorseback Frets: 106
    edited September 2023
    GRBaldwin said:
    @WafflesOnHorseback ;;;;;;;;;

Apologies for some of my comments. Early morning feeding my newborn and just frustrated at reading some of the comments and some people missing the point of why it was built. Didn’t want my friend Balázs being lauded as some tasteless pervert or something! He’s a ridiculously talented individual building some stunning instruments.

If you wanted to check out and have a play of some of his guitars, then you’re more than welcome. Feel free to drop me a message if you’re ever around these parts

No worries. If I may make a (hopefully) constructive, well intended comment. IMO...FWIW...etc...

Perhaps someone should post a video of the guitar being played? I couldn't find one. If it sounds great then it stands a chance of selling. The wood looks lovely (the back is stunning). Unfortunately, the 'interesting' inlay has become a diversion (when it's the sound that should be the selling point) and the public seems to have spoken i.e it hasn't been sold yet. Actually, I have always been supportive of luthiers and have had several instruments made for me and I wouldn't wish ill on any craftsman of this skill. But I think a rethink might be in order - i.e. redo the inlays and soundhole so it becomes sellable.

I'm imagining it without all that on it and I think it would look great.

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7269

Perhaps someone should post a video of the guitar being played? I couldn't find one. If it sounds great then it stands a chance of selling.
    I believe there is one of Frankie Boyle playing it on Songs of Praise a few years ago  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Agreed. I really need to do some videos of some of his guitars. Here's some low quality ones I did a good few years ago of some others of his though. Few quirky designs in there too, but all stunning sounding things.  Apologies for the low res videos and slightly suspect playing in parts.

Re. the rebuild of this particular guitar. I think it's more hassle than it's worth really. It was just built as a one off and should probably stay that way IMO. He's built plenty of other fantastic guitars that certainly fall into the less offensive category, haha. I completely agree that this one has a marmite thing going on, but it was always gonna be that way. Like someone said, it'll probably go to someone who can't play a note, has more money than sense and will just hang it on their wall as a quirky piece of art. I'd love for someone who loved the jokey nature of it and can actually play to buy it and appreciate it as a great guitar however, but it's a lot of money and a very niche thing.
  • WafflesOnHorsebackWafflesOnHorseback Frets: 106
    edited September 2023
    GRBaldwin said:

Re. the rebuild of this particular guitar. I think it's more hassle than it's worth really. It was just built as a one off and should probably stay that way IMO. He's built plenty of other fantastic guitars that certainly fall into the less offensive category, haha. I completely agree that this one has a marmite thing going on, but it was always gonna be that way. Like someone said, it'll probably go to someone who can't play a note, has more money than sense and will just hang it on their wall as a quirky piece of art. I'd love for someone who loved the jokey nature of it and can actually play to buy it and appreciate it as a great guitar however, but it's a lot of money and a very niche thing.

Some very nice designs. He's certainly creative. Not sure about the sound - maybe it's the vid quality. Thanks for posting and giving us an insight into his work. Shame he won't alter it. Just can't help thinking that changing it and making it sellable is better than just having it hang around unsold for years. You're obviously a fan and his pal - could you not buy it at mate rate?

But anyway, I'm kinda repeating myself now. 

Nice chatting. Off out for walkies and drinkies now.

All the best!

Nice chatting. Off out for a horse ride and waffles now.

All the best!

Fixed ;)

• You're obviously a fan and his pal - could you not buy it at mate rate?

With one of his in a collection of 15 guitars already and a just over 2 week old newborn, I need another guitar like a hole in the head at the moment, haha. Not to mention the arguments that would definitely ensue with my wife over spending yet more thousands of pounds on things "I don't need." Still....never say never :)

Enjoy the walks and bevvies. Certainly a nice day for it!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16701
    The builder clearly had some fun making it.

The suggestion he should  rebuild because it doesn't suit all tastes is worrying, let the guy incorporate some distasteful art if that is what he wants to do.

It's okay for him to make a guitar not everyone will like. I'm sure he was well aware of how much it would limit its marketability ... and he still did it anyway.   Good for him!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GRBaldwin said:

You're obviously a fan and his pal - could you not buy it at mate rate?

With one of his in a collection of 15 guitars already and a just over 2 week old newborn, I need another guitar like a hole in the head at the moment, haha. Not to mention the arguments that would definitely ensue with my wife over spending yet more thousands of pounds on things "I don't need." Still....never say never

Enjoy the walks and bevvies. Certainly a nice day for it!

Yeah, 15 is alot. Congrats and good luck with the little 'un! :)

Cheers
  • GRBaldwin said:
    How does thinking the inlay is laughable show a lack of understanding of the art of guitar lutherie?

Anyway, not worth arguing over these things.

Oh. Righty ho. So you had the last say then shut it down after telling us in a patronising, slightly pompous manner that we don't understand the art of lutherie. So that's that and all's well and good then. 

Anyway, not worth arguing over these things. 
    It seems to be you wanting to continue a debate because somebody doesnt like the design. It is not a slight on luthery itself but more an opinion on an unusual inlay that is not to the tastes of some people.