Quirky guitar design

What's Hot
WafflesOnHorsebackWafflesOnHorseback Frets: 106
edited August 2023 in Acoustics
Came across this. Hideous? Or a work of art? What do you reckon? Must admit, I am not feeling the love for this fingerboard art but it's all subjective innit. Maybe it sounds amazing. Not heard of this maker before but his website shows some rather quirky designs. Be interesting to hear one. Couldn't find any demos on YT though.

https://www.thefretcollective.co.uk/guitars/p/prohazska-custom-holy-grail-guitar-show-parlour
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5458
    The two inlays lack class and would be much better applied to a loud, pointy, electric shred machine. 

That regrettable lack of taste aside, the guitar looks beautiful and very likely sounds fantastic - Limba should, by rights, impart a softness and warmth perfectly suited to that parlour form.

In my view, the artist lost confidence. The couple should either be properly naked, or else not depicted at all. As it is, they just look tacky. 

Shame, it seems like such a nice guitar otherwise.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    I've seen this before. It's been on sale for a long time. So that may tell you something.
  • This got rightly slated in a thread a few months back...can't find it though!

Deserves a second thread imho...crack on ;)
  • WafflesOnHorsebackWafflesOnHorseback Frets: 106
    edited August 2023
    One can't help but admire the confidence of the "this is a fucking good guitar" inlay. 

Agree with tannin tho - nakedness snaking the entirety of the fingerboard would have been much classier. It's hard to make out what's going on here and if you don't have your glasses handy (as I didn't) it looks like the chap is performing solo with a Border Terrier on his shoulder.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This got rightly slated in a thread a few months back...can't find it though!

Did look but couldn't find owt.
  • Looks like nice guitar, some skill has gone into building that. But the inlay work is completely not working for me.....looks like a fat builder.....not a cool look. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cig35Cig35 Frets: 63
    This got rightly slated in a thread a few months back...can't find it though!

Search function isn’t that easy to use, but here is the thread:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/240317/this-guitar-makes-a-statement/p1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Cig35 said:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/240317/this-guitar-makes-a-statement/p1
    Well found!

I sometimes rely directly on the power of Google with a search term like:
    site:www.thefretboard.co.uk statement
    But I couldn't think of a sensible keyword.
  • Cig35Cig35 Frets: 63
    I actually used that Google function with the luthiers last name  :)
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7269
    It's still for sale, and I don't know how long it had already been advertised prior to the thread in January this year about it:
    Obviously the inlays and rosette message aren't something many people would deliberately choose to have if spending five and a half grand on an acoustic guitar.  I'm sure it will be snapped up soon by somebody that likes Tyler headstocks  ;)
  • Cig35 said:
    I actually used that Google function with the luthiers last name  :)
    I thought I'd tried that...but now I remember using the luthier's name in the forum search function ;-/
  • Cig35 said:

Ah. Ta!
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 234
    If the luthier is willing to put those tasteless inlays on top it makes you wonder what he's done inside!
    Not for me.
    I also remember the thread, still unsold. Surprise surprise.....
     :s

• stevehsteveh Frets: 231
    edited August 2023
    Hideous.

And I don’t like the fretboard or soundhole inlay either…
  • Laughable tasteless.
  • If anyone knows anything about Balázs Prohaszka and his work, they’ll know that he’s actually one of the most talented luthiers around, doing things with wood & inlays that most luthiers wouldn’t even attempt.

This one, as mentioned before in the previous post about it, was built as a playful, jokey, tongue in cheek, (if you excuse the expression), guitar built for the Holy Grail guitar show in 2020 that was cancelled due to Covid. He built it effectively as a talking piece and a nod to his quirky sensibilities and slightly dark sense of humour. That’s not taking away from the fact that, like all of his guitars, it’s also a fantastic sounding instrument.

Of course, Balázs knows it’s not to everyone’s tastes and obviously built it as a one off, but to disregard it as laughable basically shows a lack of understanding of it and the art of guitar lutherie in general really. Check out some of his other work and you might get a grasp of the man’s talents.

https://instagram.com/prohaszkaguitars?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2023
    How does thinking the inlay is laughable show a lack of understanding of the art of guitar lutherie?
  • How does thinking the inlay is laughable show a lack of understanding of the art of guitar lutherie?
    Because they’re missing the point that it’s just a playful piece of art in essence and otherwise an exquisitely built instrument. 

Anyway, not worth arguing over these things. I just wanted to express the quality of Balázs’s work to those that weren’t aware of him and to say that this isn’t a trademark of his work or anything, more a one off build as a conversation starter for a high level of luthiery guitar show.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5458
    Did it succeed? Did it in fact start a conversation? 

Yes. Twice!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2023
    GRBaldwin said:
    How does thinking the inlay is laughable show a lack of understanding of the art of guitar lutherie?

Anyway, not worth arguing over these things.

Oh. Righty ho. So you had the last say then shut it down after telling us in a patronising, slightly pompous manner that we don't understand the art of lutherie. So that's that and all's well and good then. 

Anyway, not worth arguing over these things.