Quick vid 'Sultans'- my 4th gig with the new band

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
edited September 2023 in Live
Gig at the Old Hall Tavern, Chingford) 9th Sep 2023 - my 4th gig with the new band (the Alan Linfoot band), and my wife and some friends came to this one and took some pics & phone vids. (Not the best of sound quality with a phone, and my wife couldn't get the phone to work so missed the beginning).  Ridiculously I must have played 'Sultans' 100 times but had a loss of concentration at the start of the 2nd solo (thankfully improvised & recovered - audience knew no difference!) . Sorry about that but it was 32 degrees, hottest night of the year, and we were well into our 2nd set (31 numbers over 2hrs) so I was a bit hot, sweaty & tired and just had a 'brain fart' lol!

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18773
    Aaah, man, you're too hard on yourself.  Sounded very good.
    Get the frontman with the strat & the fan blowing hair to carry his weight & do the bloody solos  ;) :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Aaah, man, you're too hard on yourself.  Sounded very good.
    Get the frontman with the strat & the fan blowing hair to carry his weight & do the bloody solos  ;) :+1: 
    You're very kind sir, thank you. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ExceLlent stuff, well done. 
    edited September 2023
    ExceLlent stuff, well done. 
    Very kind, & thank you for looking in
  • Well done. Hard solo to get right. Nice tones!
  • That's great. So are you just using a Headrush 108 for your backline sound, or are you going into the PA as well?

It's not a competition.
    edited September 2023
    That's great. So are you just using a Headrush 108 for your backline sound, or are you going into the PA as well?

Thank you. Backline on a tripod and one on the floor as a monitor. I'd like to have been a tad ouder  but the landlord asked for it to be turned down a bit.  The Headrush's are crazy loud, that was just halfway. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well done. Hard solo to get right. Nice tones!
    Thank you and appreciate you looking in. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    Voxman said:
    … had a loss of concentration at the start of the 2nd solo (thankfully improvised & recovered - audience knew no difference!) . ..
    Your playing is excellent, and so is your tone. It’s a well known solo, but Knopfler didn’t play it the same way every night, and there’s no reason why you should. I wish bands would put more improvisation into their performances.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2023
    Roland said:
    Voxman said:
    … had a loss of concentration at the start of the 2nd solo (thankfully improvised & recovered - audience knew no difference!) . ..
    Your playing is excellent, and so is your tone. It’s a well known solo, but Knopfler didn’t play it the same way every night, and there’s no reason why you should. I wish bands would put more improvisation into their performances.
    Thanks Roland, you're very kind  ;)

• Good stuff! Let's be honest - this is one we've all heard a million times by a million cover bands and often not played that well.
    This is definitely not one of those!

I have minor comments for drummer and singer (former would benefit from a little more swing and the latter needs to look like he's enjoying himself!) but none on the solo aside from the minor flub that you're aware of and dealt with really well!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Good stuff! Let's be honest - this is one we've all heard a million times by a million cover bands and often not played that well.
    This is definitely not one of those!

I have minor comments for drummer and singer (former would benefit from a little more swing and the latter needs to look like he's enjoying himself!) but none on the solo aside from the minor flub that you're aware of and dealt with really well!
    Thank you Sticky!  Agree re drummer, he deps for us & is a good guy but as you rightly say, needs to be a bit more laid back and swingy. 
  • Lovely I have heard mr Knopfler blow it way more and well as for that soulless plank of a PRS seems you know how to make it cry and sing lovely
  • Well played.(played in the Tavern many times)
    edited September 2023
    Lovely I have heard mr Knopfler blow it way more and well as for that soulless plank of a PRS seems you know how to make it cry and sing lovely
    Thanks Jez.  LOL re the PRS.  Actually, my PRS is a lovely guitar to play & its my main gigging guitar, with my Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro as back-up as it too can do H/B & single coil tones.  In an ideal world I'd use my Les Paul Custom for Rock & a Strat for stuff like this, Hendrix etc but changing guitars every few numbers is a pain live and the LPC is darned heavy for a 2hr stint.  The PRS really is a great one stop shop gigging guitar that can cover both bases pretty well. Mine has the 5 way rotary selector where the 2nd position is very Strat like, and it's very light & comfortable to play when you're up there for 2hrs.  

Thanks again for listening & glad you liked the clip.
    Well played.(played in the Tavern many times)
    Thanks RNS - which band & do you still play there? 
  • That's great stuff - nice one!
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

That's great stuff - nice one!
    Thanks Jonathan ;)
  • Most enjoyable, thank you. :)
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
    Most enjoyable, thank you. :)
    Thanks Doc, appreciate you looking in  ;)