0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Very nice mate. Sounds great
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited September 2023
    Jaycee said:
    You gotta be pleased with that, very nice
    Thanks Jaycee - apart from my momentary lapse (but hey it's live innit!)  hopefully wasn't too bad a showing from us.  We're definitely getting tighter.  With some 35 songs in the repertoire so far, there's been a lot to learn quickly especially as some are in different keys to the original e.g. the opening Hot Legs riffs are hard enough to play in standard tuning, let alone 2 frets up, and even stuff like Brown Sugar is in A and Paper Plane in G, to fit Alan's vocal range.  So even stuff I knew well had to be re-learned & muscle-memory re-trained so to speak.  The toughest part has been learning the original songs as they really are structured, intricate & tricky for a lead guitarist - one even has the classical riff from Elgar's 'In the hall of the king!' I'm the new boy but hopefully we are getting there. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    roberty said:
    Thanks Roberty ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Well played! And a nice guitar sound too. The odd mistake in a 2 hour set is just human, and if you hadn’t mentioned it I probably wouldn’t have picked up on it.
    edited September 2023
    Well played! And a nice guitar sound too. The odd mistake in a 2 hour set is just human, and if you hadn’t mentioned it I probably wouldn’t have picked up on it.
    Thanks Chris, glad you enjoyed it.  I'm still using 'old tech' Vox Tonelabs (I have an LE & SE - this was the LE) through my Headrush FRFR108's.  It just does the job for me live, & at my age I just can't carry big heavy amps & cabs anymore. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:
    Well played.(played in the Tavern many times)
    Thanks RNS - which band & do you still play there? 
    I played there years ago mostly acoustic stuff and there 
  • Voxman said:
    Well played.(played in the Tavern many times)
    Thanks RNS - which band & do you still play there? 
    I played there years ago mostly acoustic stuff and their open mic nights.I don’t know if the mic nights are still going but met some nice people and some excellent musicians.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Voxman said:
    roberty said:
    Thanks Roberty ;)
    I wouldn't dwell on any mistakes. There's often a gap between what I want to achieve and what actually comes out of the speaker, but I remind myself that other people can only hear the speaker part, so it all sounds deliberate
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1503
    Did you know you wife was filming it? That would be my number one reason for losing concentration, notwithstanding that I'm usually oblivious to what other people might be doing.

The internet is full of overconfident folk butchering popular Dire Straits tunes. Always good to listen to someone who actually cares about the song.

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

edited September 2023
    Yorkie said:
    Did you know you wife was filming it? That would be my number one reason for losing concentration, notwithstanding that I'm usually oblivious to what other people might be doing.

The internet is full of overconfident folk butchering popular Dire Straits tunes. Always good to listen to someone who actually cares about the song.

Jon
    Thanks Yorkie - & yes, I saw her - she's filmed me at other gigs too so never bothered by it. I think it was just the heat and tiredness - but what the hell, the audience enjoyed it, we got great feedback, you guys have been very kind & seemed to enjoy it too - and it's live music innit! 
  • Nicely done, and it wasnt even a Strat!  =)  And not one punter will have noticed a thing. Focus on the 99% you got right, not the 1% you got wrong. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Nicely done, and it wasnt even a Strat!  =)  And not one punter will have noticed a thing. Focus on the 99% you got right, not the 1% you got wrong. 
    Thank you Roy!  :)
  • Absolutely loved it ,bloody great  thanks for sharing it with us . You do a great job with your PRS  it’s such a versatile tool  ah yes you’re the guy using the tone lab pedals ,just goes to show  you don’t need the latest tricks  to get a great tone  it’s all in the fingers as they say . 

I’m nowhere near Chingford but I would definitely go and see your band I remember your last post . And @Kittyfrisk  leave the frontman alone  lol he’s bloody great .

yes that’s such a classic song & you did a great job  I’ve heard mega famous guitarists make much worse a job on a song , we are all fallible human beings   As said no one would really notice or care  the whole presentation  was very good . 

Look forward to seeing more in the future 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18776
    Absolutely loved it ,bloody great  thanks for sharing it with us . You do a great job with your PRS  it’s such a versatile tool  ah yes you’re the guy using the tone lab pedals ,just goes to show  you don’t need the latest tricks  to get a great tone  it’s all in the fingers as they say . 

I’m nowhere near Chingford but I would definitely go and see your band I remember your last post . And @Kittyfrisk  leave the frontman alone  lol he think's he's bloody great .

yes that’s such a classic song & you did a great job  I’ve heard mega famous guitarists make much worse a job on a song , we are all fallible human beings   As said no one would really notice or care  the whole presentation  was very good . 

Look forward to seeing more in the future 
    FTFY  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @hollywoodrox much appreciated mate.

@kittyfrisk Lmao!  :) =)