I've decided that ICBM was right.

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24469
Flats on a Jazz and Rounds on a Precision is the way forward.

I've had flats on both for many years and was already sold on flats on a jazz - as long as it's the right flats. But over the weekend I went back to rounds on my 30 inch shortie precision as I felt I needed a little more bite. I also went up a gauge to 50-110 Hi-Beams which allowed me to get a lower action too.

Hi Beams are too bright when new so I did the handcream thing before fitting them to just take the edge off.

Just have to decide which bass to take to rehearsals when they restart in 2 weeks time.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Flats on everything. There isn't a single situation in life that can't be improved by removing a rogue bassist's ability to slap. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4934
    I have flats on a fretless Jazz.
    All others are roundwounds.
  • Flats on everything. There isn't a single situation in life that can't be improved by removing a rogue bassist's ability to slap. 
    Early disco and funk was slapping with Flats. I think it sounds way better than rounds. Flat slapping has a more sort of guttural sound to it rather than twang. I love it! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72506

Well, given how much I post it had to happen eventually just by the law of averages...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1954
    I have flats on a fretless jazz and rounds on my precision, as that is what came as stock. I agree though, as a precision benefits from the growl and sustain. A jazz sounds a bit anaemic with rounds and I don't slap, so I don't need the 'zing'.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1431
    It's probably cause I'm a lazy so-and-so but I do quite like old rounds on a P. They've got a grippiness and low growl I dig. Flats on everything is great of course.

My problem with Jazzes are less with the sounds than with the narrow rounded neck. I've decided I like wide and flattish neck and fretboard - No one needs encouragement to play more notes when fewer will do. =)
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    Early disco and funk was slapping with Flats. I think it sounds way better than rounds. Flat slapping has a more sort of guttural sound to it rather than twang. I love it! 
    That's fair. It's the Wooten/Miller that really drives me up the wall
  • So what are the right flats for a Jazz? I’ve always had Jazz basses (usually Squiers and currently an older CV) and am intrigued.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12413
    ICBM said:

It's a bit like when your mate's wife is an absolute hotty who you can't help lusting after, you know it, she knows it and he knows it, no-one has to say it out loud!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So what are the right flats for a Jazz? I’ve always had Jazz basses (usually Squiers and currently an older CV) and am intrigued.
    After trying way too many sets and spending far too much money, for me it is the Ernie Ball Group iv Flats.
    Not the cobalt flats - they are trying to be rounds.

The Group iv flats are stainless steel like old trad flats but they have a bit more top than La Bellas do. They are bite-y enough when just using the bridge pickup and lovely and full on the neck. La Bella's can get horribly sticky in warm weather - I find them very difficult to play if my hands are even slightly sweaty. No problems with the EBs at all.

They are a bit bright when brand new but they settle down in a couple of weeks, or you can do what I do - slather them with E45 cream for 10 mins. Give them a bit of a rub down to get rid of any excess and then fit them. That speeds up the process quite a bit. I think the cream gets into the tiny gaps in the wrap and gums it up a bit just like skin oil and skin flakes / dirt does. Just a bit less icky.

Once they have reached their played in tone they stay consistent for years.

As far as flats go, they are reasonably priced too.

• Thanks for the useful advice @fretmeister, I will definitely try them soon.
  • I’ve had a set of flats I’ve been meaning to put on my Precision for a while, but every time I dig in with rounds and get that piano tone with growl on the attack I realise the answer is probably a second P bass just for that set of strings. But that seems a little OTT so they’re still in the packet
  • I haven't tried the EBs but I love TI Flats and consistently get comments on how great my bass sound is when I play out :) 
  • I’ve had a set of flats I’ve been meaning to put on my Precision for a while, but every time I dig in with rounds and get that piano tone with growl on the attack I realise the answer is probably a second P bass just for that set of strings. But that seems a little OTT so they’re still in the packet
    More basses is always the answer.

I haven't tried the EBs but I love TI Flats and consistently get comments on how great my bass sound is when I play out :) 
    I really like them too, but my nickel allergy means I can't use them anymore. That being said, I didn't really like the Ti on a jazz. Lovely on a precision though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a new P build in the works, so I'll give the EBs a trial. They sound really bright for flats based on YouTube, which actually might be quite nice for the stuff I think we'll be adding to the set
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28533
    Stingray. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    Stingray. 
    I have severe gas for a ray. But unfortunately they are too heavy for me by a long way. Even the supposedly lightweight Specials have gone up in weight a lot due to an infestation problem in the woods they wanted to use - affecting most US forests.

I would settle for the Joe Dart signature though. Smaller body, slimmer neck. Passive. It really only does one sound but it is such a good sound. Probably my favourite bass sound over the last few years.
  • Stingrays sound good with flats... But still not as good as P basses
  • I like Marcus Miller in small doses but that ice-pick top end gets annoying very fast.
    I bet it would sound a lot better if he just attenuated the tweeters in his cabs.

Funnily enough I never left the tweeters on when I was using rounds on a jazz, but now that I'm on flats I do turn the tweeters on a little.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    Should we have a generic "ICBM was right thread" like the "boils my piss" one?

I think it would save a lot of time.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom