Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who here has sold up electrics to go purely acoustic?

What's Hot
Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone here has sold up in favour of one nice acoustic. Simple life is appealling, I've been playing mainly acoustic for most of the last year, it's nice not lugging bits around the house, cables etc.

Anyone bit the bullet?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I frequently consider selling all my pedals, my amp & cab and my two electrics... they've been gathering dust for 5+ years now. I hate having stuff just lying about. Only reason I don't is that they're so good and would cost me a FORTUNE to buy back. But is that a good enough reason? Often I think I should just let go and move on and it might be liberating. 

Now, down to one acoustic... I actually agree with this. 
    I don't need all the acoustics I've got. 
    I could get by very easily on just one.
    And having more than one is a distraction in the extreme for me, as I'm always chopping and changing.  

It's funny how we change as we get older. In some ways it feels like I'm giving up. 
    Or maybe just moving on. 
    I like to be outdoors more now, too - not just sitting in playing guitar. 
    I think that it's hard enough trying to learn many styles and also write your own songs... 
    Never mind having a bazillion different guitars to play. 
    And if you want to get really good you're better to focus on the one. 
    It's just that this focus might shift over time.
    My focus used to be electric but now I'd rather focus on acoustic and singing.

Acoustic GAS in particular has been very obsessive, expensive and time-wasting. For me, personally. 

I stopped playing in a band ages ago and most of the electric work is done on songs I've written some years ago. I've very little desire to sit in front of the computer after doing so all day at work, to record electric guitar parts and program drums. Going forward... a Zoom H5 for guitar and a vocal mic for simplicity appeal greatly. 

@Zonular have you reduced just down to the one guitar (which one?) or just thinking on it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I see the logic in this...but I am actually going the other way. I am looking to embrace a bit of the digital modelling side to avoid buying unnecessary pedals and speakers etc as I think the guitar is always the most important thing involved regardless. The problem I'd have,and probably others too,is that I haven't yet found 'that' guitar,or one close to it that would give me the satisfaction needed to ditch others. Shape,sound,comfort and many other factors come into the decision for me. I mean,I only have 3 acoustics and 2 electric anyway so I am not a hoarder. I reckon anyhow.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    No. I like a change from time to time, and having some electrics around means that I play other genres, too. I know that I will never really master either acoustic nor electric, but as long as the racket makes me happy, I'll keep a few.

Currently 3 acoustic : 7 electric, but there are 3 electrics that have to go.
  • I own 3 acoustics, and 7 electrics. I play electric more but as a tutor many of my learners play acoustic as they find the appeal of not having to mess with amps, cables and pedals and just concentrate on the instrument. Some find effects and being able to change the sound fun though. Not to mention its easier to play.

I'll always be an electric player I think so couldn't imagine selling all my guitars, but its good to have a few acoustics too to do different arrangements of full band songs and stuff.
  • Currently I've three acoustics (well four ish), all doing different things. I've a two banjos, a bass and a Tele. Realistically I probably trim the acoustics down 

One all solid dread, a old classical that a friend gave me. A recording king cheapy parlour and a BC rich acoustic electro I've had for the better part of twenty years 

My only amp is a Peavey rage, no effects pedals at this point.

Totally get the idea of how much it would cost to buy stuff back but I suppose it's a case of moving on and trying to dedicate more time to the instrument rather than GAS and aquiring
  • WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    edited September 2023
    I have in the last two weeks gone in the complete opposite direction, my guitar for life (Lowden F35) has been traded, my Acoustasonic sold and my Yamaha THR5A acoustic amp all gone.

They has been replaced by two stunning Les Paul’s, a 61(birth year) SG reissue and @imalrightjack ;70’s SG with the fantastic replacement neck with the inlay that is important to both of us, from a well being perspective. 

I am currently waiting on delivery of a valve Marshall combo and a Rat pedal, our house sale/downsize fell through due to our buyers, buyer. So I am still in our detached cottage with eighteen inch thick stone walls, I may as well enjoy myself. When we/if we move, I will probably have to go down the digital and headphone route. Let the noise begin.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Les Paul / sg, rat and marshall, can't really go wrong. I'm listing after lowdens now, sold my rat pedal, I was never much of a pedal guy anyway, rat and a fuzz and I'm good to go
  • I've done it in the past and the electrics always creep back in.

I'd love to get down to 1 of each, but it's handy having an acoustic tuned to Eb and one to E. Same with electrics. All the better if one of the electrics has single coils and a floating bridge and the other humbuckers and a fixed bridge. Now you mention it, a 12 string acoustic comes in handy....

You see how it goes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulie said:
    I've done it in the past and the electrics always creep back in.

I'd love to get down to 1 of each, but it's handy having an acoustic tuned to Eb and one to E. Same with electrics. All the better if one of the electrics has single coils and a floating bridge and the other humbuckers and a fixed bridge. Now you mention it, a 12 string acoustic comes in handy....

You see how it goes.
    Why the acoustic tuned to Eb specifically?
  • 2 of each for me. An OM28, a GS mini, a strat and a tele. In an ideal world I’ll trade out the GS for a Larrivee mahogany OM but quite like having access to both types. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Sure, I did it.

At the time I had a Custom Shop 1960 NOS Strat, Gibson Custom Shop R8 and a Tone King Imperial II.

I sold them all and bought a Lowden O22C.

Didn't really regret it, but I found I did miss playing electric from time to time as the techniques used to play acoustic and electric are completely different. At least they are for me.

After a couple of years I ended up selling the Lowden and getting a new electric. 

Ideally I'd own both. But time is an issue, so I'd rather just concentrate on one style. At the moment that's electric. 

I'd quite like another acoustic but I'd probably buy a classical. I found I preferred playing classical pieces on acoustic to more contemporary stuff.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    I couldn't give up electric guitar and have 5 of them. But more and more I'm playing acoustic both around the house and out gigging or jamming.  The purity of chord or harmonic content to support the voice is what draws me in. I have an epi from the early 90s that I've upgraded to a fishman blend and tatty though it is, I tend to use this the most. My Atkin does sound better for sure but I'm precious about it and it's slightly more tiring after about an hour of playing. I would add more acoustics but I've got all electric bases covered for now.
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 150
    I probably play 95% acoustic although current band duties are on electric. I cannot ever see myself not having an electric in the house as who knows when I may get the call from Mark Knopfler asking me to play rhythm for him on his upcoming tour. Seriously though, I spent 25 years lusting after a couple of my electrics and they are part of the furniture at home. Oddly I have no real desire to upgrade beyond my current 2 cheapy acoustics and one mid range one. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5460
    I've switched from one main instrument to another depending on where I was up to band-wise. I started on acoustic, went electric when I formed a band (as singer & 2nd guitarist), then back to acoustic when I concentrated more on solo singer-songwriter stuff. I had a nice little Rickenbacker at one time, and then a very nice Les Paul after that. Then acoustics, mostly 12-string, for quite a few years before joining a different band playing bass (though I still played acoustic for pleasure). When that folded, back to acoustics. 30 years later, I'm still playing acoustic. 

To answer the question, I never really made the big switch, just went with the right instrument for my playing situation at the time. 

I have done a couple of big switches though, both quite recently. I went from playing 12-string to playing 6-string (which is actually quite a big change), and went from using a pick full-time (for everything except bass, which I always played with my fingers) to fingerpicking 100% of the time. The second of those changes in particular was life-changing. I only wish I'd discovered how much better I am when I fingerpick 40 years ago.

(Which is not to say that I'm actually any good. I'm just about 17 light years less worse.)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    BigPaulie said:

You see how it goes.
    Interesting - what's the reasoning for not just retuning?

I had thought of getting a cheap acoustic and dedicating it to DADGAD or Nashville tuning - just to mix things up a bit when I am noodling.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12383
    Having recently acquired the best acoustic I've played (to my ears) I am certainly drawn to acoustic more than ever before.  After being away for a week I was missing the acoustic more than electric which has never happened before.  I have 3 electrics and 2 acoustics and aside selling the acoustic I'm not playing can't see those numbers chamging.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited September 2023
    I just don't have anything to play on the electric anymore. I plug it in and it sounds cool but... without a band and if not recording, what's the actual point? Being able to do the bass + melody (fingerstyle) and sing along to it.. to me that's the whole package. It's also a more interesting and difficult, imo - your technique is laid bare. And it is really opening me up to proper songwriting and the chordal/harmonic approach as approached to modal/melodic - I'm presently doing Howard Morgen's course on TrueFire which is great, reading through Ted Greene's book as well.. and watching a lot of vids re song structure, how to make interesting progressions and the why of it. I was just strumming "A Hard Day's Night" and singing along the other day... I could plug my electric and play some shreddy stuff for 5 mins but there's no point or outlet to it for me anymore. Hmm... maybe I SHOULD sell!
  • BTW Ted Greene's book. The middle bit is about 50 pages of a bazillion chords. It's mental lol.
    There is no way anybody has read and memorised all of that. The meat of it has to be the surrounding chapters on modulation, voice leading etc.
  • munckee said:
    Having recently acquired the best acoustic I've played (to my ears) I am certainly drawn to acoustic more than ever before.  After being away for a week I was missing the acoustic more than electric which has never happened before.  I have 3 electrics and 2 acoustics and aside selling the acoustic I'm not playing can't see those numbers chamging.
    Which acoustic have you picked up?
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1113
    edited September 2023
    goldtop said:
    BigPaulie said:

You see how it goes.
    Interesting - what's the reasoning for not just retuning?

I had thought of getting a cheap acoustic and dedicating it to DADGAD or Nashville tuning - just to mix things up a bit when I am noodling.
    The reason is precisely that you don't *have* to retune; especially if your only electric has a floating trem.

And some lightly built acoustics take a bit of settling into a new tuning, meaning some adjustments are required before the tuning stabilises.

And I'm lazy.