Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who here has sold up electrics to go purely acoustic?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    ditchboy said:
    munckee said:
    Having recently acquired the best acoustic I've played (to my ears) I am certainly drawn to acoustic more than ever before.  After being away for a week I was missing the acoustic more than electric which has never happened before.  I have 3 electrics and 2 acoustics and aside selling the acoustic I'm not playing can't see those numbers chamging.
    Which acoustic have you picked up?
    An 80s Guild D25 Spruce top rather than mahogany, makes me smile every time I  play it.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it is nice to have choices so I am happy to keep my little collection of basic but fun acoustics. As much as I could sell the electrics and get one decent acoustic but variety is my spice.
  • I sold all my electric gear after my last band ended, and now focus on acoustic. My electric gear funded my Bose L1 Model 1S pa system, Ibanez baritone acoustic, a new Shure SM58, a Boss VE-8 Acoustic Performer pedal, and my solo acoustic gigs have bought me my most recent acoustic, my Faith Legacy Neptune Prototype. 

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• I sold all my electric gear after my last band ended, and now focus on acoustic. My electric gear funded my Bose L1 Model 1S pa system, Ibanez baritone acoustic, a new Shure SM58, a Boss VE-8 Acoustic Performer pedal, and my solo acoustic gigs have bought me my most recent acoustic, my Faith Legacy Neptune Prototype. 
    Wow you actually sold all your electric gear? 
    I think I'm going to take a similar plunge... 
    Do you regret it at all?
    Wow you actually sold all your electric gear? 
    I think I'm going to take a similar plunge... 
    Do you regret it at all?
    Initially I didn't regret it, but now I do quite miss the gear I had (a couple of PRS and my Hughes And Kettner GrandMeister). I am having fun with the acoustic stuff, I hasten to add, it's quite nice being in charge of what I play.

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• I can understand that. My electric stuff is great but it's just not been played in five years (crikey lol)
  • I sold all electric gear 2 years ago. Played for 45 years then woke up one day with zero interest. Started playing again a few months ago to realise I have no interest in playing electric guitar. Purely playing acoustic now. Alot. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Monkeybone how's the ibanez Baritone? 

I'm personally in the process of downsizing, my ears are really set off with the electric stuff, no issue with the acoustics. 

I had a Harley benton baritone (I was really impressed) but sold on to try and play better with fewer instruments. My go tos are a nice faith mars and a recording king Dreadnaught.

I would like a spruce topped guitar and learn some flatpicking but I know dropping 2k on a Martin won't make me a player overnight, so figure I better put in some practice.
  • Zonular said:
    @Monkeybone how's the ibanez Baritone? 

I'm personally in the process of downsizing, my ears are really set off with the electric stuff, no issue with the acoustics. 

I had a Harley benton baritone (I was really impressed) but sold on to try and play better with fewer instruments. My go tos are a nice faith mars and a recording king Dreadnaught.

I would like a spruce topped guitar and learn some flatpicking but I know dropping 2k on a Martin won't make me a player overnight, so figure I better put in some practice.
    It's working out quite a creative tool. As soon as I bought it, I had a quick play with it, tuned it to the baritone equivalent of DADGAD and managed to come up with a really nice chord sequence for a song. It is a bit niche though, covers wise I find myself playing Iris by Goo Goo Dolls, and a lot of Devin Townsend

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had thought about getting rid of electric guitars, or most of them and switch to bass, which I find very enjoyable. Not sure I could live with just an acoustic though. Even within acoustic only, you have 6 string, 12 string, resonators etc, lap slide (weissenborns)
  • That little demon on my shoulder has frequent digs at me for wasting too much money trying to find the ‘perfect’ guitar and so far it’s not happened, even with some lovely guitars. Weird thing is, if I could only keep one of my current guitars, right here right now, it would probably be one of the cheapest ones I own, a Yamaha SLG200S ‘silent acoustic’ guitar plugged into an Everse 8 for gigging or a Boss ASL at home. It does most things I need and more people have come up to me asking me about it that any other guitar I own. It’s light and comfy, but it definitely won’t be everyone’s taste. Ask again me in 12 months and it may not even be my taste any more.