New pedal from Strymon…

What's Hot
Apparently this was accidentally leaked by a pedal retailer in the US. It’s a vibe in Cloudburst/Brig-sized enclosure. Might be handy those folk who want a vibe but can’t spare the acreage necessary on their boards.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I like the newer small form factor, I bought a Brig.
    But, there are certain pedals that don’t need to be digital, certainly not as a stand alone, and vibe is one of them IMO. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    I like the newer small form factor, I bought a Brig.
    But, there are certain pedals that don’t need to be digital, certainly not as a stand alone, and vibe is one of them IMO. 
    Agreed. For the price, I’d make a bit more room and get a Jam Retrovibe.
  • I'll be see to hear how this sounds. I've got a Mobius on my board and the Vibe isn't amazing on it.
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 277
    edited September 2023
    If it was $150 I might be interested.  Otherwise, if you want a digital copy of a vibe, TC electronic have been cranking one out for years. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank your lucky stars someone leaked it or we'd have been subjected to a fortnight of tastefully lit pictures of knobs.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4538
    Sploosh
  • If it was $150 I might be interested.  Otherwise, if you want a digital copy of a vibe, TC electronic have been cranking one out for years. 
    I havent played many TC better than a Strymon for sounds, and def not for build quality (or customer support).

imho :)
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6692
    Would be a great form factor for a vibe if it was a proper photocell one. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Lots of demos just landed. I’m not hugely impressed. It doesn’t seem any better to me than the vibe on the Mobius and I’m not really impressed with that either. 

I do love a good Vibe pedal but I reckon this is one of those effects where it has to be the genuine analog thing to sound amazing. 
  • Lots of demos just landed. I’m not hugely impressed. It doesn’t seem any better to me than the vibe on the Mobius and I’m not really impressed with that either. 

I do love a good Vibe pedal but I reckon this is one of those effects where it has to be the genuine analog thing to sound amazing. 
    I’m pretty much set on keeping any modulation pedals on my board analogue. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If it was $150 I might be interested.  Otherwise, if you want a digital copy of a vibe, TC electronic have been cranking one out for years. 
    I havent played many TC better than a Strymon for sounds, and def not for build quality (or customer support).

imho :)
    Fair enough. I have read grumbling about TC electronic's support, although I don't know anyone who has ever had to use it. 

Be that as it may, the Strymon actually costs more than an expensive version of the thing it is modelling.  A JHS Unicorn, for example.  I haven't tried either, so this is not a rhetorical question:  does it actually sound better?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited September 2023
    It has midi and sounds good. If I had room on my board I might be more interested:)

To be honest everything is starting to sound the same to me these days 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 366
    I’m tempted to pick one up out of curiosity.
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 245
    I watched that andertons video last night and wasn’t impressed at all.  One of the worst vibes I’ve heard if I’m honest.  Maybe it’s more for people that don’t want that true vibe sound.
  • I feel like you'd be nuts to go this over the Thorpy ER-2 or something like the Grobert Lux
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    It sounds decent as a generic modulation pedal but not really much like a decent univibe. 

Fine to use for a bit in a song but if vibe is a big part of your sound there's many better sounding options. 

That's a no from me.

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • CFHCFH Frets: 456
    I feel like you'd be nuts to go this over the Thorpy ER-2 or something like the Grobert Lux
    Totally agree. The ER-2 has blown me away. It’s so good and compares very favourably to the big names I’ve tried from Sabbadius and RWeaver. 
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 366
    Each to their own and all that but I’d rather buy the Strymon than the Thorpy (no functionality to control the speed with your foot) or Grobert (too many knobs and switches). At least the Strymon has form factor in its favour and I’m kinda curious about what sounds like in stereo. But then again I have a perfectly good Midnight Vibe so probably won’t buy one.
    edited September 2023
    Yeah no speed 1/2 switch or expression pedal input makes the Thorpy a no-go for me. 

Had 2 x Vibe Machine mk3s but ultimately they are way too soupy but in the bad way, and quickly turn a gainy signal to mush. Violet Vibe and Castledine vibe were great but too big. Might try the Formula B one next before giving up the compact vibe search and going for (like my 4th) Jam Retrovibe.

• Did any pick up an Ultraviolet. Any comments or feedback?