SORTED: Leisurely quest for a deep OM/000/00/Parlour

What's Hot
AmigoAmigo Frets: 120
edited December 2023 in Acoustics
So was thinking that I would want—not need—a new acoustic, which would need to have the following features at the same time:
- OM/000/00/Parlour size
- 44-46mm, or 1.73"-1.8" nut width
- At least 55mm string spacing at the saddle (for finger picking)
- Short scale
- Thick neck, but not V-shaped
- Satin neck, maybe body too
- Deep lower bout

Any ideas in what direction I should be looking?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My Martin grand performance currently for sale? :)
  • AmigoAmigo Frets: 120
    Not a match, I am afraid.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 745
    Yamaha FS5? - 44mm nut width a tad bigger 

DavidR said:
    Yamaha FS5? - 44mm nut width a tad bigger 

Good shout. Coincidentally I entered a music shop today and the FS3/5 was what I was most drawn to. Not entirely convinced by the neck, for some reason, though.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5453
    ^ Interesting to learn that about Yamahas. Not many OO/OOO/OM guitars have deep bodies.

Shallow bodies are the convention in most parts of the world. The exception is Australia, where dreadnought depth in OO and OOO sized bodies is the norm. Maton's see-them-everywhere 808 size is the same as a Martin OO  except for its dreadnought-equivalent depth; their "Traditional" or Trad size is the same as an OM or 000 but again as deep as a dreadnought; and Cole Clark's small body, the Angel, once again is that same depth. (CC call it a "grand auditorium" but it isn't - it's actually no bigger than an 808.)

All have a 44mm nut and a medium C neck. A satin nitro finish is standard for almost all models. They are pretty reasonably priced considering the quality - less so in the UK, but everything is expensive in the UK.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ?? Worth working through Yamaha entire current FS 800 series to see if any of them tickle your fancy. 820 Spruce/Mahogany, 830 Spruce/Rosewood, 840 Spruce/Maple, 850 all-Mahogany, Don't dismiss them on the grounds of low cost. Yes, they're essentially student level guitars but they are well made, very pretty and have excellent tone. Here's the 830

Yamaha FS830 Acoustic Guitar, Natural at Gear4music
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 233
    You seem to have a good idea of the spec you want, you could go down the luthier build route if funds permit.

• I have a deep body 00 FS. But it's collect only in London. It does sound great. Slight V neck though.
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/3682702
    Tannin said:
    ^ Interesting to learn that about Yamahas. Not many OO/OOO/OM guitars have deep bodies.

Shallow bodies are the convention in most parts of the world. The exception is Australia, where dreadnought depth in OO and OOO sized bodies is the norm. Maton's see-them-everywhere 808 size is the same as a Martin OO  except for its dreadnought-equivalent depth; their "Traditional" or Trad size is the same as an OM or 000 but again as deep as a dreadnought; and Cole Clark's small body, the Angel, once again is that same depth. (CC call it a "grand auditorium" but it isn't - it's actually no bigger than an 808.)

All have a 44mm nut and a medium C neck. A satin nitro finish is standard for almost all models. They are pretty reasonably priced considering the quality - less so in the UK, but everything is expensive in the UK.
    I did see them in the shop, and they did seem deeper than the rest, but the price point was not attractive...
    DavidR said:
    ?? Worth working through Yamaha entire current FS 800 series to see if any of them tickle your fancy. 820 Spruce/Mahogany, 830 Spruce/Rosewood, 840 Spruce/Maple, 850 all-Mahogany, Don't dismiss them on the grounds of low cost. Yes, they're essentially student level guitars but they are well made, very pretty and have excellent tone. Here's the 830

Yamaha FS830 Acoustic Guitar, Natural at Gear4music
    I did have an FS830 a few years back, but I got rid of it, there was something about the neck, something I felt with the FS3/5 too, maybe the V-shape? I couldn't tell. Which is a pity, as it seems that my head likes the specs, but my hands don't like the feel of the guitar.
    Soupman said:
    You seem to have a good idea of the spec you want, you could go down the luthier build route if funds permit.
    Wouldn't that be just lovely? :) I still prefer being married.
    I have a deep body 00 FS. But it's collect only in London. It does sound great. Slight V neck though.
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/3682702
    Ain't she a beauty? Not the guitar for me, I am afraid, but GLWTS
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Gibson CJ-165? Gloss finish, although not overly so, but otherwise might be a good fit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Gibson CJ-165? Gloss finish, although not overly so, but otherwise might be a good fit.
    Never came across it, that's a peculiar, yet interesting guitar! Rarer than hen's teeth though :)
    Updated requirements to add short scale.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5453
    I think you've pretty much painted yourself into a corner now by adding short scale to an already unusual mix. That's going to be very, very tough to find. A custom build is looking more and more on the cards. (And I don't see why it shouldn't be a beauty!)

Tannin said:
    I think you've pretty much painted yourself into a corner now by adding short scale to an already unusual mix. That's going to be very, very tough to find.
    The Gibson CJ still fits, other than the gloss finish. I often wish I hadn't sold mine...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Some people online say that the CJ-165 did not sound good (the customary pinch of salt), and it wasn't clear if they were referring to the rosewood or maple version. How did you find yours?
    edited September 2023
    Amigo said:
    Some people online say that the CJ-165 did not sound good (the customary pinch of salt), and it wasn't clear if they were referring to the rosewood or maple version. How did you find yours?
    Mine was the maple version with the long pickguard - they don’t all have it - it sounded great, and totally different from my Dove, which is the same combination of woods (proof that it isn’t the most important factor). It was very punchy in the low mids and with less sustain than the Dove, not a ‘modern’ sounding guitar - great for fast country/blues-style picking.

I only sold it because I felt I had too many guitars and the friend I bought it from wanted it back... annoyingly, he then sold it again without giving me a second chance! I would have taken it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2023
    Short scale thing. The Martin X series worth an explore at OO or OOO size? 24.9 still too long for you? Discontinued new I think but still a lot floating about.

Martin 000-X2E Auditorium Electro Acoustic | 000X1AE | GAK
    Martin 000 X1AE Left handed (used) (rguitars.co.uk)
    Pre-Owned Martin 00X1 Acoustic Guitar, Natural | PMT Online

X series at lower end of Martin price points. Most distinctive feature is the stratabond necks which are unusual but rock solid.

Rex and the Bass Little Martin LX1E Acoustic Electric Parlour Guitar Review

Or the 'Little Martin' 

Martin LX1 Little Martin Guitar inc. Gig Bag at Gear4music
  • MikePMikeP Frets: 58
    What's your budget? Might find something gibson nick Lucas flavored. 
    edited September 2023
    @Tannin I suppose you're right, but then again I am not in a hurry, so I can take my time.

@DavidR I saw and tried a couple of 00/000 Martins last week, but they were all standard depth for a 000, they sounded quite thin, for lack of a better word.

@MikeP Not heard of them before, but after checking online they are clearly out of my league.
    Updated the nut ,width, but preferably to  about 1.73" (44mm), but less than 1"3/4 (44.5).