SORTED: Leisurely quest for a deep OM/000/00/Parlour

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Amigo said:
    Updated the nut ,width, but preferably to  about 1.73" (44mm), but less than 1"3/4 (44.5).
    Still a Gibson...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AmigoAmigo Frets: 120
    ICBM said:
    Amigo said:
    Updated the nut ,width, but preferably to  about 1.73" (44mm), but less than 1"3/4 (44.5).
    Still a Gibson...
    Yeap, I added that when I realised that Gibsons can have 1.72-1.72" on some, including the CJ-165 you suggested. Don't know about the thickness of the neck on it, though, what do you remember?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Amigo said:

Don't know about the thickness of the neck on it, though, what do you remember?
    A typical medium-C - not unusually deep or shallow, and smoothly rounded. A lot of people seem to want overly fat or v-shaped necks and would probably say it was 'bland', but I generally prefer a neck you don't notice the size or shape of.

I'm kicking myself even more for selling it back to him now :). Although that said, I later bought an all-mahogany Patrick Eggle parlour from him which is none of those things - it has a wider slightly v-shaped neck - and which he's not getting back ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

V-shaped necks is something that may be bothering me with the Yamaha acoustics, there's something just not right about those necks for me, I can't describe it.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 745
    Amigo said:
    V-shaped necks is something that may be bothering me with the Yamaha acoustics, there's something just not right about those necks for me, I can't describe it.
    Everybody's hands are different! No need to defend that. Comfort is important in the assessment of playability. Hope you're making progress in your search. Sounds like fun!
  • Amigo said:
    I've never picked up a full sized Yamaha acoustic. I had an APX 200,which was a travel sized instrument but it felt too small all around for me. I'd like to try their FS or FG styles just as a comparison given their excellent value for money reputation.
    @DavidR thanks, still looking but life gets in the way...
    @ICBM there is a J-165 now on Ebay, is that a CJ-165 that dropped its 'C'? Maple b&s it looks like
    Still looking, ideas welcome
  • would the Larrivee p-03 not fit the bill?  I seem to recall mine was quite deep, certainly deeper than my 000 Martin.  shorter scale and the neck is very playable - compound radius.
    That is a very interesting suggestion! It does fit the requirements, if not the bill :) Thanks a lot!
    edited December 2023
    After some soul searching I realised that I need at least 44mm nut wdth—at least 35mm string spacing at the nut, but that can be sorted—and at least 55mm string spacing at the saddle, basically suitable for finger picking. Ideas welcome, of course.
  • UngulateUngulate Frets: 223
    edited December 2023
    Bourgeois!  see my NAGD thread, 43.65mm at the nut...and it's a deep body as long as your pocket is deeper...
    Well, there's the conundrum, isn't it? Larrivee P-02 is nice too, but the cost...
  • Sorted! What did you get? I can't work it out!
    An Auden Emily Rose Neo :)
  • Amigo said:
    An Auden Emily Rose Neo :)
    They do look very nice. I'm looking forward to the photos!