I’ve taken the plunge and ordered a guitar built for me

What's Hot
I was planning to do this once I’d got promoted at work, but the bastards have moved the goalposts to make it extremely difficult… and I had some money left over after using my matured endowment policy to pay off a big chunk of my current mortgage. Life’s too short to not play nice guitars, so last week I visited Richard Meyrick’s workshop in Abergavenny. I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted, but it was good to discuss the merits of different woods and some aesthetic details. So I have placed an order for Richard’s take on the OM, a Rhossili:

https://i.imgur.com/wLerTz5.jpg

I’ve gone for Indian Rosewood back and sides with a European Spruce top. There are good arguments for mahogany but I would always regret not going for rosewood. After discussing the intended use (I want to do more fingerpicking, and I have a dread if I want to bash out loud open chords), it seemed that European Spruce would be a good choice rather than Sitka. I initially thought of doing something different aesthetically, but have decided for a more traditional look for the headstock, bridge etc., although I have time to change my mind.

Paul from Radioshop Pickups made a couple of videos when visiting Richard’s workshop, and got a Rhossili himself, which is what got me really interested.

https://youtu.be/kxHxMCK-yPk?si=s297wL31TtHvIEoh

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27627
    Wow, and congratulations 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hope it all works out for you.

Have you thought about a cedar top if you're a finger picker? I prefer cedar even to strum. It's really responsive and is loaded with interesting harmonics. Try one and see.
  • That sounds exciting! I like the look of the guitar in the picture. Keep us posted. 
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 236
    Watched the vid, Richard seems a quiet chap who knows his stuff & takes pride in his work. Lovely guitars.
    It speaks volumes that the interviewer returned a few weeks later to order a build from Richard. Good luck to him.
    I am confident you won't be disappointed with the result! Now just the wait! Any timescale yet?
     =) 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9658
    A cedar top is an acquired taste imho. This is intended to be an all-rounder that can do gentle strumming but tempt me into trying to be a better fingerpicker (I’m currently pretty crap). European Spruce seems to be a better choice than Sitka for this.

Richard builds all the guitars himself (there were at least two in the workshop when I visited) so there will be a wait of a few months before he starts on mine. But I have bagged a place in the queue!

I used to think that one day I would buy myself a Martin, but I played a Meyrick and a HD28 back to back in a shop a few months ago and the decision was made.
  • Richard is brilliant. You’ve made a good choice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5490
    Good for you!

The whole experience of having a guitar built is different to just buying one from a shop. Even setting the merits of the instrument you end up with aside, it's worth doing just for its own sake.

PS Cedar tops are divine. (But there is nothing remotely wrong with European Spruce. Lovely stuff.) :)

• Congratulations, having a guitar made for you can be a great experience, especially if you have met the builder and played some of his instruments. I also like the idea of supporting local craftsmen and do it myself as much as possible. The only downside of a handmade guitar by a relatively unknown maker is the resale value can be very poor if you choose to sell it in the future. 
  • Congrats!
  • Congratulations. Not a custom build, but I just took the plunge and bought my 'guitar for life', an Boucher OM Hybrid. Same woods, but Adirondack Spruce. Loving it so far
  • What about second guitars for life lol? 
    I jumped on a custom build train but is 2-3 years away. 
    Thing is I'm not even sure what I want - initially was thinking moon spruce or lutz (I am unsure the exact tonal differences between the two) and QUILTED sapele as a sort of upgraded version of my sitka/sapele I've got but now I'm wondering if I should go for something completely different. 

Enjoy the process!