Reaper 7 Released

What's Hot
Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 334
edited October 2023 in Studio & Recording
https://www.reaper.fm/

What's New v7.001 (web)

Summary of major changes and new features (pdf)

Price - Free update for qualified users or £60 to prevent nag screen (
same price as 2010).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 775
    This is still my favourite DAW. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6123
    Brilliant, thanks for the heads up.  :)
    Just found this on YouTube..
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4100
    I still only use about 0.5% of its full capability.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited October 2023
    Just updated and my licence carries over to this one

I'll have to check out the details of the update, because it's not immediately obvious what's changed when I fired it up.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 334
    I still only use about 0.5% of its full capability.  
    That will be 0.3% with the new update  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10412
    I'm still evaluating ... have been since 2007 .... I'm not a man to make a rash decision !
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Danny1969 said:
    I'm still evaluating ... have been since 2007 .... I'm not a man to make a rash decision !

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh nice, I've only recently had 6 I think, will check the minimum system requirements etc then upgrade.
  • FezFez Frets: 525
    Paid for the update earlier, will get to try it in earnest tomorrow
    Don't touch that dial.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    Reaper is ace and the whole model is perfect and makes me trust them a lot more than the other paid-for DAWs.

Especially, in terms of stability and regular updates

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584
    I still use the last Reaper v4 release. Never felt like I'm missing any functionality. Performance is fine etc. I should really check out more recent versions some time.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    edited October 2023
    I am huge Reaper fan and use it across several laptops and my Mac and it is my go to for band live gig recording mixing over Logic on Mac.  I did pay for a license.  

Installed v7 on a lesser used PC. The Reaper 7 update requires the purchase of a new licence.  It is not looking or featured dramatically different for the new £.

I’ll probably keep the older versions for a while.   I did feel they were not making the new license payment requirement clear enough IMO. 

I’ll give it a few weeks to settle in before upgrading rest and considering getting a new license. 

The lane dividers are nice supplement to colour,,, split the the vox mics from back line line and drums groups.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6822
    Licences last for two major release cycles. I bought at v5.x in 2018, (so licence covers v5 and V6 releases) - hence i need to buy new licence for V7 - but at £50 its not a issue (£10 per years use!).
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited October 2023
    I've only just noticed that my Reaper theme was still set on 'Default_6.0'.

Changing it to 'Default' gives the new Reaper 7 theme, which I quite like. Well it's the only obvious change I've spotted so far

It's not a competition.
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 400
    There is a good brief explanation at the bottom of the main page (https://www.reaper.fm/index.php).

In essence, a bunch of advanced editing features, routing and visual improvements. In typical REAPER fashion, there is also a ton of "behind the scenes" improvements that many users may never notice which is fabulous.

New in Version 7

Track Lanes:Use lanes to manage takes, layer sounds, assemble alternate track versions, or store playlists. Track lanes can be used as a creative tool, an organizational aid, or both at the same time.
    Swipe Comping:Select the best parts of multiple takes to create one ideal composite take, or multiple alternative composites. A highly flexible new system that supports one-click A/B comparison, customizable crossfades, recording and editing media while comping, and even building comps from other comps.
    FX Containers and Parallel Routing:Build, store, and recall self-contained FX chains, including complex routing and configurable parameter mapping. Route multiple plug-ins (including FX containers) in parallel.
    More Track Channels and MIDI I/O:Tracks support up to 128 channels each; MIDI routing supports up to 128 buses; hardware support for up to 128 MIDI input and 128 MIDI output devices. As always, there are no limits on track counts, sends/receives, FX, ReaScripts, etc.
    Keyboard/Mouse Overrides:Switch between multiple sets of fully customizable keyboard shortcuts and/or mouse modifier behaviors. Instantly change keyboard and mouse setups for different workflow contexts for simplicity and efficiency.
    Usability Improvements:Customizable track spacers; arrange view zoom/scroll improvements; MIDI editor CC lane vertical zoom/scroll and pitchwheel snap; MIDI editor coloring improvements; customizable animated toolbar buttons; configuration import/export improvements.
    And That's Not All:Plug-in gain reduction metering; ARA edit pooling; video support in background projects; video colorspace improvements; import/export support for raw PCM (.sd2) file formats; up to 48 customizable floating toolbars; JSFX compile-time macros and configurable parameters; and hundreds of other refinements and improvements.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The track lanes UI is nice.   Ran some old projects through… no issues.

• This just came up in my Youtube recommendations. A clear and concise explanation of Fixed Item Lanes and Comping.

It's not a competition.
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 334
    edited October 2023
    There's an update to the update.

https://www.reaper.fm/download.php
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5380
    I've been playing with lanes and swipe comping a little this evening, and for me that's going to be worth the licence alone, even allowing for getting bummed for VAT on top. And as mentioned by others, it covers you for two major versions - even with my sporadic use I've had more than enough value out of my first licence that covered 5 and 6, so bunging them a few quid more to keep going, given the ratio of minor updates to major updates, doesn't seem unreasonable.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4100
    Comping....comping.... thats cheating.   Ctrl+Z, Ctrl+R like a real guitarist :lol: