Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is this guitar original?

What's Hot

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    What did you pay pay for it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7150
    stonevibe said:
    Tuners look correct.
    Yes but they don't look to be nearly 40 years old.

It looks like it had different tuners on at some point too:

My tuners are from around '69 and they look the same. No discolouration at all.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

edited October 2014
    I'd not pay anywhere near £1000 for it, so if it was more than that I'd be pissed.

EDIT

£1200!

Just saw this on Ebay.

Are you mad?

I'd not be best pleased with this deal fella.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited October 2014
    stonevibe said:
    I'd not pay anywhere near £1000 for it, so if it was more than that I'd be pissed.

EDIT

£1200!

Just saw this on Ebay.

Are you mad?

I'd not be best pleased with this deal fella.
    I paid £1200 for it but luckily, Ebay are very pro buyer these days. If you read the sellers description, I think that he's been quite economical with the truth. I tend to judge people by my own standards but I wonder if that's a flaw in my approach to buying?
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    Personally, Id send it back, on a £1200 guitar i would want EVERY bump and ding and alteration listed in detail, non of this "the bloke I bought it off said" bullshit.

Its a steep learning curve but if you paid by paypal all above board I think you have a good case for a full refund, send a detailed account of the inconsistences to ebay and paypal.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    neck pocket looks like an original burst finish was on there, but fender could've sprayed over that with black at the factory, pretty sure they did this in the 50's /60's but not sure if they went to that much trouble in the 70's! 
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    I still think it looks awesome though
    That is a dog of a guitar for that kind of money.

You could buy a used Custom Shop or a mint late '70s for that sort of money fella.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    Definitely was a burst originally
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    edited January 2015
    One final thing I spotted was that the bridge plate doesn't quite cover the pickup cavity and you can see the cavity protruding from under it!!
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5051
    Wolfetone said:
    One final thing I spotted was that the bridge plate doesn't quite cover the pickup cavity and you can see the cavity protruding from under it!!
    That is a classic Fender feature from this and other eras, more proof of originality than fakery! And I'm not joking!  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31605
    Yep, that's normal
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Fenders from this area are difficult to date. As someone else mentioned the late seventies serial numbers were used into the early eighties.

It sounds to me like you aren't happy with it so it's probably best to take advantage of any buyer protection while you can.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    1200...woah.
  • Definitely was a burst originally
    Wouldn't it be Natural being a 70s Tele?

stonevibe said:
    That is a dog of a guitar for that kind of money.

You could buy a used Custom Shop or a mint late '70s for that sort of money fella.

I hate to piss on your chips but I totally agree with Jef. The guitar looks car crash bad. The only exception I could make for the guitar would be if it plays like nothing else. If its average (and heavy like a 70s Fender) I would send it back and get a used custom shop again as Jef mentioned. The CS would be significantly better 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24810
    edited October 2014
    In spite of opinions being that 'everything' was wrong with post mid-70s Fenders, Teles were usually better than Strats - there were no body contours to get wrong (though as @ICBM noted - the outline altered), the four bolt neck join was inherently more stable than a three-bolt/micro tilt and generally an all-round simpler guitar to make.

The one thing that was rarely an issue was finish quality. Yes they were thick - but as a result of this, they did not sink into the grain and could be polished to a high gloss, without any risk of going through to the wood. 'Orange peel' finishes are atypical of the period - hence I would strongly suspect a refinish.

On a guitar of that vintage, a refinish (done well) doesn't really matter - as long as it's reflected on the price.

At £1200, it hasn't been....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My friends has a 70s Tele (72 I think) it has a 3 bolt micro tilt neck plate 
    Did that stop in the mid 70s then?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.

• Case looks right to me,
    It isn't . It would have red lining and a plastic logo on the outside. The logo may have been lost but there are no holes where it might have been attached.
    edited October 2014
    I am happy that a '77 Tele would be worth £1200 or even more. I would say that's a good price to pay for a genuine guitar. The main gripe I have is that the buyers description certainly doesn't match the reality. 

The electrics have been replaced and will require attention. I am unhappy with the state of the fretboard as whoever did the refret, firstly, didn't remove the old frets properly (from the side) and then failed to make good the damaged lacquer. It's a mess.

Any other qualified views are very welcome before I decide how to approach the seller.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    edited October 2014
    My friends has a 70s Tele (72 I think) it has a 3 bolt micro tilt neck plate 
    Did that stop in the mid 70s then?
    No, only the Custom and Deluxe got the neck tilt - standard Teles remained with the four-bolt.

The thin F plate is correct - Fender reduced the amount of metal in them, then when they dished and indented the finish at the corners, they added the plastic gasket to stop it!

The tuners have definitely been replaced with a larger type with a front compression nut/collar at some point and then re-replaced - if you take one of them off you'll see the bore has been opened out to a larger diameter… if done really well, only from the back to a depth of about 2/3 the way through.

As the others have already said, far too much about this guitar is non-original for it to be worth anything like the price, and easily enough to make a 'significantly not as described' claim worth pursuing, if it was sold as original.

Refinished
    Badly refretted
    Tuners replaced & headstock almost certainly bored out
    Badly replaced electrics
    Wrong case (if claimed to be original)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein