New Martin - any takers...?

What's Hot
SoupmanSoupman Frets: 231
edited October 2023 in Acoustics
Perusing the web, spotted this on Thomann site:
Martin D200 deluxe at £131,600......
It states 'in stock'. That's obviously a mis-print, it should read ' in shock'. 
Link: 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/martin_guitars_d_200_deluxe.htm?glp=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4vKpBhCZARIsAOKHoWQeDoCFXuWU0J2wUsctMNb3fDI51GwpScwiQd7CxWSC4AWb7eYhkxcaAi24EALw_wcB

o 
There was a previous thread 'Martin tax' but I thought this deserved its own header!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• For some people that's a whim purchase.

I always get a shock seeing people driving about in £100,000 cars. Then went into my local BMW dealer and there were several cars in the showroom at well over £100,000.

Martin only need to sell 50.

Ideally to people who don't need to sell them, so they become collectable.

Once they are collectable, the 2nd hand price goes up and whatever they cost new looks a good deal.

See limited edition cars.

There was a Gibson gear garage with the bloke from cheap trick who had multiple burst Les Paul's 

Some people have money, a few have a lot, a tiny number have unbelievable  amounts of cash.

"The most recent data concludes that the top 1% of earners in the UK are earning £173,952 a year pre-tax income. This translates into £14,496 a month or £3,345 a week."

Top 10% on £59,000
    1% £174,000
    Top 0.1% on £500,000

0.01% on £2,000,000

I live in Nottingham with a population of 250,000ish. So in Nottingham there are 2500 people ish who could spend 0.65%. Of pre tax wages on a toy.

Or for someone in the top 10% on £60,000 that would be  £4,000 aka a fancy new Les Paul. Expensive, probably not without think about it.

https://upthegains.co.uk/blog/what-is-the-top-1-percent-of-income-uk#:~:text=The most recent data concludes,or £3,345 a week.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 231
    Still, £131k ?
    I guess the odd drug dealer may consider one to chuck behind the seat of his Lamborghini....
     :#

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 742
    edited October 2023
    If you had that much money that you could afford to buy this, should you not be thinking what else you could be doing with the money and should that 'what else' be considerably more altruistic/less hedonistic?

Just saying.

On a less fluffy note, anyone paying that much for a dreadnought needs.....................(complete with your own most appropriate phrase).

:-)         but also 

Its just a really dumb face - Drawception
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 742
    edited October 2023
    The most annoying thing is that it is a Martin.

Now, if it had been a Yamaha..........................

..................that would be different!

:-)   
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27497
    That's not really a guitar though, more a piece of art in the form of a guitar which - as @Tall_martin suggests - will probably be bought be a collector as an investment piece and never played as a guitar.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    It looks horrible.

I always get a shock seeing people driving about in £100,000 cars. Then went into my local BMW dealer and there were several cars in the showroom at well over £100,000.

Once they are collectable, the 2nd hand price goes up and whatever they cost new looks a good deal.

There was a Gibson gear garage with the bloke from cheap trick who had multiple burst Les Paul's 

Some people have money, a few have a lot, a tiny number have unbelievable  amounts of cash.

"The most recent data concludes that the top 1% of earners in the UK are earning £173,952 a year pre-tax income. This translates into £14,496 a month or £3,345 a week."

Top 10% on £59,000
    1% £174,000
    Top 0.1% on £500,000

0.01% on £2,000,000

I live in Nottingham with a population of 250,000ish. So in Nottingham there are 2500 people ish who could spend 0.65%. Of pre tax wages on a toy.

Or for someone in the top 10% on £60,000 that would be  £4,000 aka a fancy new Les Paul. Expensive, probably not without think about it.

https://upthegains.co.uk/blog/what-is-the-top-1-percent-of-income-uk#:~:text=The most recent data concludes,or £3,345 a week.

I guarantee you the majority of people you see driving 100k cars either lease them, finance them or pay for them through their business. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Well it confirms the adage that money can't buy taste.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @Chimpankie ;

I guarantee you the majority of people you see driving 100k cars either lease them, finance them or pay for them through their business

Oh yes absolutely. I imagine some of these mega spendy guitars are bought via finance/ through a business as well.

I did three years in the motor trade a a trainer, I listened to a lot of stories from sales people. There was one story where a farmer physically brought a carrier bag of cash in ( pre anti money laundering regulations). 

Mostly when the customers said cash, they meant they had got a loan from a bank, or they were lying. 

Almost no one bought new Honda's outright.

• slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    I clicked the link and it suggested that I also by a 33 quid gigbag.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2023
    Mind you, it would qualify for free postage....  :o

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

He obviously decided to fill the expensive car space with guitars. If he'd have bought the expensive cars he could have filled them with guitars too!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    To be fair it is designed in collaboration with some watchmaker I've never heard of. Maybe it'll help you play in time better?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 620
    Not convinced there’s 131k of work in it. If you pay 50 quid an hour to the maker of the guitar and divide that by the asking price it covers 2620 hours of labour. Yeah, it’s either art or a luxury item. I’m not sure there’s a difference between art, luxury goods and guitars at this end of the market. It worries me when guitar companies start thinking they’re luxury goods companies like this. Martin need to stop this crap. 
    ^ 2620 hrs comes to 70 weeks work @37.5 hr week...
    I agree, looks like Martins aim to be appearing in Collectables.
     :o

• Like a lot of things aimed at really rich people, they've tried so hard to make it 'luxury' that it's actually gone too far and it just looks tacky. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Like a lot of things aimed at really rich people, they've tried so hard to make it 'luxury' that it's actually gone too far and it just looks tacky. 

Gone too far is a major understatement.  The shark has been well and truly jumped.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1101
    DavidR said:
    If you had that much money that you could afford to buy this, should you not be thinking what else you could be doing with the money and should that 'what else' be considerably more altruistic/less hedonistic?

Just saying.

On a less fluffy note, anyone paying that much for a dreadnought needs.....................(their heid looked).
  • If Russian oligarchs played guitar .....
  • Maybe if a really well paid star like Ed Sheeran or Bob Dylan got one, they could legimately write off the tax against the cost( this saving maybe  40%).

Also bear in mind that even rich people can be stupid. It’s advertised at 130k, but if a dealer makes a special confidential offer to a private collector of £80k for onr, that person could be led to believe they are getting a stinking bargain, though they are still paying £ 80k for something that may might have been pulled of the Martin D28 production line and given a vulgar paint job.