A little acoustic for little people

What's Hot

Comments

• And so, bringing it pretty much up to date, I sorted the neck angle, levelled and recrowned the frets, fitted the neck, made a bone saddle and intonated it, then did the final sanding and lightly varnished it with good old Ronseal Hardglaze, applied with a watercolour artists' No 6 fan brush.  It will now harden fully over the next week or so before I give it the final polish.  

I've done a short sound file that I will post later if I can remember how :)

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If the link works, here's a short sound file of varying styles.  As always, best heard through headphones.  Guitar is tuned 3 semitones higher than standard pitch (G C F Bb D G)   

https://soundcloud.com/andy-rogers-6/little-swift-sound-samples-1/s-7yC2RLrzFcI?si=6579889b0bb14539bdf9511737b7dfed&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's fantastic. Surprisingly sounds neither like a uke nor a guitar capo 3 - it's got its own sound.  First sound clip is very Nick Drake-esque.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    Wow - that is gorgeous, Andy. I'd love one of those for my home studio - what a beautiful sound!!!
    You have very lucky grandchildren.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    I like the offset sound hole decoration. It makes it look like a design in its own right, rather than a shrunken version of a full sized guitar.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27676
    That's an impressive amount of work for a young person's tennis racquet!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, folks!  :)

• That's fantastic. Surprisingly sounds neither like a uke nor a guitar capo 3 - it's got its own sound.  First sound clip is very Nick Drake-esque.
    It's a poor-man's version of Angie by Davy Graham.  Bit like 'Smoke on the Water' in electric circles, no-one is allowed to play it in a folk club because EVERYONE learnt and bored people with it in the 60's and 70's ;)
  • impmann said:
    Wow - that is gorgeous, Andy. I'd love one of those for my home studio - what a beautiful sound!!!
    You have very lucky grandchildren.
    Thanks, Tim!  Hope all is well with you and yours :)

Coincidentally, I received a query about your Alembicesque build a couple of days ago from a chap in the States.  He was asking about the fitting of the Hannes piezo bridge and that splendid preamp you had installed.  He's bought the same set up and was intrigued how to fit it.  He found one of my build thread of yours on another forum from 2017!

Small world, as they say  :)
  • Fab little build, amazing how fast it can go when you have know how and tools. 
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    edited November 2023
    Fab little build, amazing how fast it can go when you have know how and tools. 
    Thanks

Well, not so very fast, although faster than my recent full size acoustics.  It took me around a month and a half...hmmm...thinking about it, more like two months  
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2795
    Man , this build is fantastic, I’m so impressed.  I’m even more impressed with the sound , and it looks great

great job 
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    edited November 2023
    enjo said:
    The little beauties arrived this morning.  They look great and match the fretboard to a T! 

And yes - the treble strings certainly rang out clear and true even at standard pitch - MUCH better than the strings I originally fitted, at that same pitch.  However, the bass strings - while nowhere near as floppy as my originals - just didn't cut the mustard at standard pitch on this particular guitar.  But were OK at 2 semitones above standard...

Anyway, I had a thought and rooted around in my bits box and found an unused pack of Savarez mixed tension nylons - normal tension for the trebles and high tension for the basses.  At 2 semitones higher than standard - absolutely super.  But at standard pitch lost a lot of depth.  So I'll leave those on for a while and will refit the red ones at some stage for a '2-semitone high' shootout.  Because it WOULD be nice to have that colour   
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112 said:
    Man , this build is fantastic, I’m so impressed.  I’m even more impressed with the sound , and it looks great

great job 
    Many thanks, @sev112 ;  Much appreciated

• Lovely work and sounds nice
  • Lovely work and sounds nice
    Many thanks!  Much appreciated
    It's a poor-man's version of Angie by Davy Graham.  Bit like 'Smoke on the Water' in electric circles, no-one is allowed to play it in a folk club because EVERYONE learnt and bored people with it in the 60's and 70's ;)
    Bit off-topic, but thanks for the tip-off. Just had a listen to some of Davy Graham's stuff and I think definitely worth looking for more. Reminds me very much of Nick Drake's style (and funnily enough I know the song "Cocaine" from Nick Drake's cover - same song, although ND called it "Cocaine Blues").
    Bit off-topic, but thanks for the tip-off. Just had a listen to some of Davy Graham's stuff and I think definitely worth looking for more. Reminds me very much of Nick Drake's style (and funnily enough I know the song "Cocaine" from Nick Drake's cover - same song, although ND called it "Cocaine Blues").

I used to be able to play River Man by Nick Drake.  Love his music, but devilish to play!!!
  • enjo said:
    The little beauties arrived this morning.  They look great and match the fretboard to a T! 

And yes - the treble strings certainly rang out clear and true even at standard pitch - MUCH better than the strings I originally fitted, at that same pitch.  However, the bass strings - while nowhere near as floppy as my originals - just didn't cut the mustard at standard pitch on this particular guitar.  But were OK at 2 semitones above standard...

Anyway, I had a thought and rooted around in my bits box and found an unused pack of Savarez mixed tension nylons - normal tension for the trebles and high tension for the basses.  At 2 semitones higher than standard - absolutely super.  But at standard pitch lost a lot of depth.  So I'll leave those on for a while and will refit the red ones at some stage for a '2-semitone high' shootout.  Because it WOULD be nice to have that colour   
    Now they've settled in, the Savarez's  sound splendid at two semitones up.  If I get a moment, I'll repeat the sound clip - I'm pretty sure the difference would be discernible even at MP3 quality. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2795
    You’re allowed to play Bert Jansch’s version :)