Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Acoustic for under £350

What's Hot
Hopefully a quick question for the hive mind. 

My brother in law is looking to but a new acoustic for his Mrs -> her last one was destroyed by their kids during lockdown.  Now they are bit older and hopefully more responsible he is looking to replace it. 

Budget is £350 tops, he was looking at the Epiphone Hummingbird, but having read a couple of comments it seems there are better for the money. 

I am not really well up on acoustics so cannot give him any decent thoughts - besides the smutty ones. 

Any recommendations? (on acoustic guitars that is)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27610
    Any idea what she liked / didn't like about the former guitar?

Does he/she want purely acoustic, or with pickup too?

Any preference on size - from small to jumbo.

Playing for her home-based amusement only, or on stage/etc?

Depending on the answers, maybe a s/h Taylor GS mini (I love mine, and everyone who has one seems to love them).  They appear here quite regularly, got mine within your budget.  Or Yamaha should be reliable quality and have a number of options in that price range - necks can be on the narrow side.  Or maybe a PRS SE Angelus for a bit of bling - again, I'd expect reliable/consistent quality.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • This would be my recommendation.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_po_220e_natural.htm

It's about half price. A lot of guitar for the money.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • louis_LLMlouis_LLM Frets: 126
    Guild Memoir series, they do a Parlour and a Dread shape, P-240 and DS-240, they come up on offers or secondhand for around 300-350 and they’re really quality for the money 
  • louis_LLM said:
    Guild Memoir series, they do a Parlour and a Dread shape, P-240 and DS-240, they come up on offers or secondhand for around 300-350 and they’re really quality for the money 
    +1 on a Guild P-240/the Memoir series. Borrowed one for a few weeks while travelling and it’s a solid guitar for the price 
  • To answer earlier questions more information has come in, electro acoustic is preferable as the last one was and it was a desired feature, although perhaps the kids didn't when they took a heavy object to it. 

If is for home use only.
  • AmigoAmigo Frets: 120
    edited October 2023
    This would be my recommendation.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_po_220e_natural.htm

It's about half price. A lot of guitar for the money.
    That is indeed! All-solid for that money, not to be sniffed at. Neck rather tight, though:
    https://guitar.com/reviews/acoustic-guitar/fender-po-220e-review/
  • paulcaye said:
    To answer earlier questions more information has come in, electro acoustic is preferable as the last one was and it was a desired feature, although perhaps the kids didn't when they took a heavy object to it. 

If is for home use only.
    Is your brother in law in Wirral as well? I'm selling one of these for £350 but Wirral is a bit far from me! =)

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/epiphone-dr-500mce-vs-masterbilt-281817
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18824
    paulcaye said:
    To answer earlier questions more information has come in, electro acoustic is preferable as the last one was and it was a desired feature, although perhaps the kids didn't when they took a heavy object to it. 

If is for home use only.
    Maybe if you sold the little gits kids then you could afford a better guitar? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5280
    I recently bought an Eastman 1 OM with a k&k fitted for a bit more than £350.  All solid easy playing and must say I am amazed at how good it is. Thoroughly recommend them. Also short scale which makes playing a bit easier
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 747
    edited October 2023
    Slightly more than £350 but if you’re after a square shouldered dreadnought like a Hummingbird take a look at the Yamaha FG830. You should find one below £380. 

If your sister-in-law finds it too big, try the FS830. 

And yes I know I am recommending this again but they’re very good value bangs per buck. 

I have one and it’s adorable. 

:-)
  • For home use I'd recommend Concert Sized or Parlour Sized models. I cant recommend any model though as nut width and neck shape are high on my own list of necessary features and really should be with most,particularly neck shape. Sticking to brands you could say that pretty much any of the major brands have good models. Yamaha and Fender are popular for a reason as they largely produce decent acoustic guitars that are easily available to buy. The Taylor GS seems very popular but seems slightly above your budget new but can be bought used for within your means.
    Good luck.
    PS,from my experience I would not recommend a Harley Benton acoustic. Their electric models seem very good but I could recommend their acoustics based on the one I had.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    I'd have a look at a second hand Tanglewood TW15, or an older Yamaha acoustic (look for one with a solid top at least.

The Tanglewood TW15's are all solid, and sound great, they also don't go for much money.
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    I have a Yamaha Storia II if it is of interest?
    Comfortable size, undersaddle pickup, plays great and well under budget at £175.
    Shoot me a PM if you want to know more.
  • enjo said:
    Comfortable size, undersaddle pickup, plays great and well under budget at £175.
    They look good guitars on the photos I have seen of them.
  • enjo said:
    If I had the cash I'd make you a deal on that myself.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    At that price point Sigma is always worth a look. Various dreads, OMs, etc with or without electronics.
  • Sigmas are great too.
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4185
    edited November 2023
    I love the Epi Hummingbirds ,used to have a blonde one  I played it at loads of Jam nights
      I’d defo get one of the Burst ones now as I’m a big fan of Keef & Stones & they look bloody great 
      Get it setup & it would be a great guitar , my opinion is biased though as they look awesome lol 

Damn now you’ve given me Xmas gas & I barely touch my acoustic 

embryonic stage of a tune ,not sounding so great ,look at the hummingbird though 

https://youtu.be/aAjC2L4hKBM?si=GWjMA78yUHrO4p5B
  • I’d always recommend trying Yamaha and Washburn.  They’re not cool brands but they make really good stuff