SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Something Floydy, 1977 Tele Custom / Deluxe / Les Paul

What's Hot
topdog91topdog91 Frets: 381
edited May 11 in Guitars £
Looking for:
  1. 80s style Floyd to fudge through Eruption and generally learn a little shred. Not too exotic but not a plank. It should probably have 24 frets because it's 2 louder and who cares about the neck pickup? If it's cool AF that's a bonus. Charvel Model, Ibanez RG / S, Jackson etc. The kind of thing Satchel would dig.
  2. 1977 guitars, original and realistically priced. I think the most practical options for me (i.e. guitars I'll actually want to play) are a Tele Custom, Tele Deluxe, or Les Paul Deluxe, but open to ideas as having researched the matter it's not the greatest year.
No rush whatsoever, quite the opposite, if I had half a brain I'd let the bank balance recover.

I "need" an HSS for party / function band gigs as coil splitting my HSH doesn't cut it with funk. I'd prefer something not too new with at least some character that makes me excited to play it. No disrespect to new guitars which I'm sure are great. I guess we're looking at Strats of various sorts by various manufacturers. Jumbo frets would be nice so I look like I can play leads. SSS also an option if the bridge pickup is a winner (edit: I can fit a bridge humbucker myself if need be).
Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• topdog91topdog91 Frets: 381
    Bump.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
    @Schnozz Some lovely SSSs there. :shrug:
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 367
    my PJE here-

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/256264/fs-prs-cu22-10top-pje-drop-top#latest

perfect work horse gigging guitar, light, awesome neck, quality hardware, quartersawn neck (stable). admittedly, looks a bit posh but it was chosen based on my experience of 7 yrs of hundreds of function gigs. i.e. reliable and with good ergonomics. 
    only other brands that do this as well imho are Andersons and Tylers but cost double for no benefit over a PJE.
     Suhr and MM Lukes fit the HSS gigging guitar well but are inexcusably heavy for what they are. 
  • GchipGchip Frets: 12
    Have DMd you. 
    Catthan said:
    my PJE here-

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/256264/fs-prs-cu22-10top-pje-drop-top#latest

perfect work horse gigging guitar, light, awesome neck, quality hardware, quartersawn neck (stable). admittedly, looks a bit posh but it was chosen based on my experience of 7 yrs of hundreds of function gigs. i.e. reliable and with good ergonomics. 
    only other brands that do this as well imho are Andersons and Tylers but cost double for no benefit over a PJE.
     Suhr and MM Lukes fit the HSS gigging guitar well but are inexcusably heavy for what they are. 

Of course it's lovely. I remember them in the 90s, great guitars. Unfortunately for this purpose, I'd hope to spend three figures or just above. GLWTS
    Still not there. No rush, mind.
  • matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 833
    edited December 2023
    I have a 1987 Japanese Charvel Model 4 in black in almost as new condition if it’s any interest? I had it for sale on here a year ago:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/235223/f-s-1986-charvel-model-4-stunning-condition#latest

Prepared to come down a bit in price in the current climate!
    I have a 1987 Japanese Charvel Model 4 in black in almost as new condition if it’s any interest? I had it for sale on here a year ago:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/235223/f-s-1986-charvel-model-4-stunning-condition#latest

Prepared to come down a bit in price in the current climate!
    Thanks mate and I appreciate I may come across as a bit fussy given that I have had responses, it's just a bit pointy for Mustang Sally and Long Train Running. I wouldn't rush for a locking trem live either, for what I'm playing I don't need a wang bar at all. A mate of mine had one in the 90s, honest shred machines.
  • No problem - hope you find what you’re looking for 
    Speculative weekend bump time... \m/
    I'm now the proud owner of a 1977 Strat so that side of things is less important (although if 2024 goes well who knows). Still looking for that giggable (not toooooo exotic) sexy HSS, and if it's red even better. Sparkly red and it's shut up and take my money.
    Red HSS goodness where are you?
    I mean really, where is the red HSS goodness?

Oh, and interesting Floyd axes that I can use to finally learn Eruption? Older and cheaper are good although I appreciate these things don't usually come together. Maybe a Jap Fender or summat...
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 846
    RevMatt said:
    Great idea mate, nice way to turn a (lovely) £800 guitar into a £400!

Actually the red HSS and the Floyd can be different axes. The red one needs to be a gigging workhorse. The Floyd one should preferably be a little cheaper, providing that "won't lose much when I realize I'm not going to master the wang bar at 46 and decide to sell it" peace of mind.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ping for that red HSS gig workhorse goodness...
    What's red, rocks and funks?
    topdog91 said:
    What's red, rocks and funks?
    Apparently nothing, but one can try.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom